Dr. Coco and Dr. Photon collaborate to write scientifically accurate articles and guides on all topics related to growing cannabis. Our articles are grounded in plant science and our extensive backgrounds in horticulture and lighting. We are growers, so our tutorials are informed by our actual practices. You can be confident in our resources. Everything we publish goes through a rigorous peer review process. We take pride in publishing clear and accurate information that helps home growers maximize the success of their cannabis grows.
- Growing Cannabis in Coco with High Frequency Fertigation
Coco coir is a horticultural miracle because its air/water ratio allows for high frequency fertigation. Learn the principles of fertigation and how to unlock the magic of growing cannabis in coco coir!
- Understanding EC, PPM & TDS for Growing Cannabis
This article explains everything you need to know about EC and PPM. Learn how it affects plants and the theory behind measuring and managing EC.
- How to Water Cannabis Plants in Coco Coir
This tutorial answers all your questions about watering coco! How much? How Frequently? And how to time multiple daily events?
- EC/PPM Targets for Fertigating Cannabis
How strong should your nutrient solution be? In this guide, we walk you through how to set your EC or PPM targets.
- How to Manage Cannabis Fertigation by Measuring Run-off EC
We advise managing your fertigation by measuring run-off EC. Here we explain how to take those measurements and how to respond.
- Proper Disposal of Hydroponic Waste Water
Properly disposing of your waste water is an ethical requirement for home growers. Learn the best practices for dealing with run-off water.
- When & How to Flush Cannabis Plants
We review the different reasons and ways to flush cannabis plants. Learn about flushing to lower EC, flushing to release lockout and the final flush before harvest.
Fertilizers, Supplements & pH
Cannabis Fertilizers, Supplements & pH
In this cornerstone article, we cover the science of cannabis nutrition in a way that all growers can understand. Learn the true role of fertilizers and avoid the common misconceptions about “feeding plants”.
Why & How to Use CalMag in Coco
Learn why you need CalMag in coco. This article explains Cation Exchange in coco, why buffering is so important and how to use CalMag supplements to avoid “CalMag Problems”.
Recommended Nutrient Supplements for Growing Cannabis
There are a ton of nutrient supplements available – but only a few that you really need. See what nutrient supplements we recommend and learn why we recommend them.
How to Mix Nutrients for Cannabis
Video Tutorial! Learn the four key points to properly mixing nutrients: Order, Dose, EC and pH. Includes the Coco for Cannabis Nutrient Schedule!
How to Measure and Adjust pH for Cannabis Nutrients
Learn how to measure and adjust the pH of your nutrient solution and why it matters!
- Guide to Automatic Watering for Indoor Cannabis
Everything you need to know to set up & run automatic watering systems. Top-feed Vs. Bottom-feed, Recirculation Vs. Drain to Waste, Preventing Bacteria, Topping-off & Cleaning Out.
- DIY Automatic Watering System for Indoor Cannabis
Automatic watering makes growing in coco a breeze! Full plans, shopping list, and installation instructions for a simple and easy DIY Automatic watering systems for your grow tent or grow room.
- DIY Self-Draining Saucers
Self-Draining saucers make any grow much easier! They are needed for a fully automatic watering system. Anyone can make them with our complete DIY plans, shopping list, and assembly instructions!
- DIY Auto-Pumping Drain Bucket
How do you remove the waste water from the tent? The self-draining saucers need to drain to somewhere! If you need a solution, Check out our “Auto-Pumping Drain Bucket”!
- How to Grow Cannabis Seedlings in Coco Coir
Getting little plants through the seedling stage can be tough in coco. To help you minimize the problems and maximize your success, we offer this step-by-step guide to raising seedlings in coco coir.
- Transplanting Cannabis Plants: Why, When & How
Transplanting cannabis plants is the best way to develop a healthy root mass and ensure vigorous early growth. Learn the theory behind the practice and when & how to transplant cannabis for the best growth.
- How to Clone Cannabis Plants
Dr. Photon explains the science and practice of cloning cannabis and offers his fast cloning method for rooted clones in about a week!
- How to Germinate Cannabis Seeds
- Why You Should Train Cannabis Plants
We explain the science behind plant training to help you understand the practices. Learn about apical dominance, the efficient use of light, and why training cannabis plants leads to bigger better harvests.
- Topping Cannabis Plants: Why, When & How
Topping is a central plant training practice. Learn the science about why topping works, when you should top, and how to actually go about it.
- Mainlines & Manifolds: The Best Ways to Train Cannabis Plants
Explore the plant science behind mainline and manifold training. We define each method, explain the benefits and compare them with other methods. Learn why we think they are the best ways to train cannabis plants!
- How to Mainline Cannabis Plants
Dr. Coco's cannabis mainline training tutorial. I answer the questions about cannabis mainline training and provide step-by-step instructions how to mainline cannabis plants.
- How to Manifold Cannabis Plants
Dr. Coco's cannabis manifold training tutorial. Q&A about manifolds and step-by-step instructions for how to manifold cannabis plants. I include tips and advice about manifolding clones and auto-flowers.
- When & How to Supercrop Cannabis Plants
Supercropping is a high stress technique of pinching and folding stalks. It is a key training practice to manage the canopy of your indoor cannabis grow. Learn how to supercrop to increase yield without risking plant injury.
- How to do a Sea of Green for Cannabis
A sea of green (SOG) is a high density grow technique using a lot of plants and growing them for a short period of time. Learn why this is such an efficient strategy and how you could set up a SOG.
- How to Train Mainlines & Manifolds in Late Vegetation & Flowering
Set-up & Grow System
- How to Keep Grow Tent Walls from Sucking in
Does your exhaust fan pull the grow tent walls toward your plants? This can rob you of precious space for growing, so we show you how to avoid it.
- How to Set Up Your Indoor Grow Space
- Growing Cannabis: Indoors vs Outdoors vs Greenhouses
- Cannabis Light Cycle Fundamentals: 24/0, 18/6 & 12/12
What is the best light cycle for growing cannabis? What is the best light cycle for auto-flowers? Do cannabis plants require a dark period? Dr Photon explains the fundamentals of the cannabis light cycle.
- Grow Light Technologies for Indoor Cannabis Horticulture
- The Cannabis Light Cycle Debate
- The Best Light Fixture Height for Cannabis
Environment: Air & Climate
- The Best Environment for Growing Cannabis
Managing climate is critical for a successful grow. Learn about airflow, air movement, VPD and the best temperature and humidity for growing cannabis.
- Understanding Air Replacement & Airflow in Cannabis Horticulture
- How to Manage Temperature & Humidity in Grow Rooms
- When & How to Introduce CO2 When Growing Cannabis
- How to Set Up an Exhaust/Ventilation System for Grow Tents
Media & Containers
- How to Prepare & Buffer Coco Coir
Before you start growing in coco there are steps you should take to make it into the best medium for cannabis. Learn how to buffer and prepare your coco and avoid the dreaded “CalMag problems”.
- How to Reuse/Recycle Coco Coir
Coco is good for more than one grow! Learn how to recycle your used coco back into a superior medium for your next cannabis crop.
- Why Grow Cannabis in Coco Coir?
- Pot Size: The Best Containers For Growing Cannabis in Coco
At Coco for Cannabis we cultivate the spirit of collaboration along with our plants! This is a place where growers can communicate anonymously with fellow growers. It is an inclusive and collaborative community. We are interested in learning, sharing and growing together.
You are invited to join our community of growers. We have a Live Chat Room, a Customized Grower’s Forum, and we do collaborative Grow Challenges throughout the year!
The Coco for Cannabis equipment and product guide is a resource for home growers. We understand how difficult it can be to know what specific grow equipment is the best for growing cannabis. We offer our product reviews and equipment recommendations to help you understand what you need, where you should invest and where you can save.