NYGC Misfits: 9 lb. Hammer #2, clones this time
My last grow I did a pheno hunt of sorts, starting with 6 regular seeds of 9 lb. Hammer from Jinxproof Genetics. I ended up with 3 females. 2 are very similar in growth, and 1 seems more sativa leaning. The 2 that are similar were grown to full size in 5 gal fabric pots and I grew the more saliva leaning plant in a couple solo cups. I figured this time around I would experiment with something with a different stature, growth habit, and seemingly different nutrition requirements. I'll be using Royal Gold Kings Mix amended with compost and fed with the Roots Organics Terp Tea line. I'll be watering cal mag supplemented tap water with Blumats in 5 gal fabric pots. AC Infinity 2x4 tent with T6 exhaust fan and controller. Lights are a Maxsisun MF1000 and an MF2000. Pictures to come as I just took my cuttings. Thanks for reading.
So a little change of plans. I had a power outage and the clones got too cold due to the fact that they were in a cold garage with no heater for an extended period of time. Good thing I already had some backups of all 3 phenos already going in solo cups. So now I will be doing one sativa leaning pheno that we named "Olive Oil" and one of the phenos I'm doing in my current run that we named "Lil' Blue". I re-potted them today into 1 gallons with Great White on the roots and in the hole.
Here are some pics of my current run that I'm about to harvest for those of you that want to see what it looks like.
I started seeing roots in the drain holes so I figured it's time for a haircut and LST. I topped to the first node and pulled the branches down a little with dollar store pipe cleaners through holes drilled in the pots. I watered Lil' Blue with tap water and Roots Organics Cal Mag at 5ml/gal.
Did my second topping today. Some of the cuts were a little hard to decide on. Since they're clones, everything isn't all symmetrical, so hopefully I made the right choice.
Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I transplanted the 2 clones that were taken at the same time to keep things consistent between those 2. The pic below is from that day. 2/24/22
The growing medium is 6 parts Roots Organics Original and 1 part Seacoast compost and amended with 1/2 cup Neem Seed meal, 1 cup Roots Organics Uprising Foundation, 1 cup gypsum, 1 cup ag lime, and 2 cups Azomite. I am trying to follow Build a Soil's the best I can. I didn't have crustacean meal or kelp meal, so I used quantities of what I had on hand to best meet the same NPK. I added all the calcium to the soil this time to see if I can cut back on the amount of calmag I have to add to the water. Constantly adding calmag to the water last run ended up causing a biofilm to build up in the Blumat lines and distribution drippers. So this run I am only running tap water through the system.
A little over a week later and there has been a decent amount of growth. This run I am going to flip while the plant are pretty short, considering the fact that my lights were topped out last run. The plant on the left has always been a little sickly and I'm taking it on as a challenge to see if I can save her, she's already looking a lot better since transplanting a week ago. I am treating her a little different, she is being hand watered and getting synthetic supplements because it seems to be helping. Each run I learn more and more and I'll have more data points to draw from. As of right now, I think I am underestimating how much more nutrients this phenotype needs over the others. That is part of the reason for the synthetic inputs, I wanna get real time feedback so I can narrow down how to grow this pheno optimally. After curing for 2 weeks, this pheno is still unique over the others smelling and tasting more fruity (hard to explain). This time around I will be defoliating minimally to see what the harvest comparison is. I will probably flip to flower tonight.
Things are rolling right along and the girls are growing fast. I'm flipping tonight. It will be interesting to see how much this pheno stretches. Fingers crossed it doesn't more than double in size.
Everything is looking great. Loading up the soil ahead of time seems to be making a big difference. Last run seemed like I was always playing catch-up with top dressings and this time it seems like they have everything they need. I'm thinking I should have flipped a little earlier judging by how fast they're filling this little tent.
Soooooo, so far the plants have more than doubled in height. At this point the tallest growth tips are 26" (flipped to flower at 12"). They have slowed down though. I can't complain though, the plants look way healthier than last run and I haven't had to add any cal-mag. Another really cool observation I made is that there are no fungus gnats this run. I was wondering if using need seed meal as the primary fertilizer would have some preventative effect on fungus gnats and it appears as if it does. The other variables are that I used a different kind of soil and fresh compost this time.