Forum

NYGC Misfit: NYGC Misfit: Afghan Kush Indica Landrace

Saukkomies
Cannabis Fan

Equipment: TopoGrow 2-in-1 Indoor Grow Tent 36" x 24" x 53" with 2-tiers for germination section

Air Supply: Growneer 4 Inch 200 CFM Inline Duct Mixed Flow Fan with Speed Controller, 4 Inch Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal, Vivosun 4 Inch Noise Reducer Silencer for Inline Duct Fan

Grow system:  I am using the DIY Coco For Cannabis Automatic Watering System for the first time, in conjunction with the DIY Coco For Cannabis Automatic Pumping Drain Bucket System, both of which are described in this web site.

Media: Coco Coir fiber with Perlite, Vermiculite, and Mushroom Compost

LED Lights: Viparspectra UL Certified 600 Watt LED Grow Light, with Daisy Chain, Veg and Bloom Switches 

Nutrient and Supplement:  Nectar of the Gods product line

Water: Lake Superior

Additional equipment: ultrasonic humidifier, small ambient heater, Inkbird brand digital automatic humidity monitor and controller, Inkbird brand digital automatic temperature controller, small oscillating fan, General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Seed Germination Plugs with a self-contained growkit 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2019 2:35 am Gadgetman, jtwo, VTgrown and 3 people liked
+ Show 4 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Stayed up to watch the Times Square Ball Drop on live streaming tv with my family. It's now 11:00 am, just waking up and drinking my first cuppa, and trying to remember where I stored my seeds from last season's grow so I can get them in water for the grow challenge. I'm not sure whether they'll germinate or not, but I have over 100 of the little dudes, so some of them will probably have enough juice and all to wake up and start to grow. 

I'm the world's worst procrastinator, and I've still haven't set up my newest innovations to my grow tent that I plan on implementing with this grow challenge. I'm introducing some new equipment that I've been slowly acquiring over the past year: a new, hopefully quieter 4-inch inline vent fan, a 4-inch noise reducing filter, some 4-inch ventilation hose that claims to be super soundproof (you can probably tell I'm trying to make it quieter because my wife is encouraging me to do so), and the stuff to make the automatic watering system that this web site has detailed plans for. 

Last season, my first, I think the most difficult thing I had to deal with was my own stupid laziness about making sure my plants were adequately watered and that the temperature was not too hot. So this year I'm incorporating the automatic watering system and a better thermal regulating system with the goal of enabling my laziness so I won't have to do a goddam thing but check the pH levels and add water and nutrients every week or so. Maybe every other week, depending on how fast the water gets used in my fancy brand new bright blue 14-gallon plastic bucket. Woo hoo! 

Okay, motivation is still getting generated to go find my seeds. I know they're in one of my Micron Glass jars, but I can't recall off the top of my head where I put that. No problem though, it's got to be here somewhere, probably buried beneath some empty Amazon boxes....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 8:02 am cliston, MikeHorrizzae, Gadgetman and 3 people liked
+ Show 4 comments

I'm getting ready to put my seeds into the Jiffy Peat and Rapid Rooter Plugs. I'm going to do a little experiment to see if there's any difference between using either of these products. I'll report my observations here. 

I have a huge amount of seeds from my first grow, which was last season. Unlike most people, I guess, I decided consciously to expose my girl plants to some male pollen from the boy plants so that I would have plenty of seeds in order to not have to purchase seeds again this year. Okay, that sounds nice, but it's a lie! LOL! Actually, I was too lazy to be super vigilant in closely examining my plants when they were getting ready to start blooming, and by the time I realized I had some wild and crazy boy plants having sex with the girls, it was too late and the girls all got knocked up and thus produced seeds. Sigh. But looking back on it now, I think this was actually a good thing, because (as mentioned) I now have plenty of seeds to use for this season's grow. Every once in a while my laziness and procrastination pays off. Not always, but sometimes...

I separated the seeds from the flowers when I harvested the first grow back in late May last year, which was a bit of a tedious task but not too much since I have such a small scaled operation (I just had four plants I brought to full maturity last year). I stored the seeds in a sealed plastic sandwich bag placed inside a Micron Glass airtight jar, where they've been sleeping for the last six months. Hopefully I'll get some of them to germinate, and will be back in business. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2020 12:32 pm cliston, lights.soil.seed.ACTION, Rusty and 3 people liked
+ Show 2 comments
Saukkomies
Cannabis Fan

This is what my plants looked like at the end of the season last year. Because of the flash camera, I had to enhance the color a bit, but not by much, and I didn't try to make it look more colorful than it really is. The reddish threads are perhaps a bit too red - they are slightly browner looking in real life. Anyway, this is what I'm expecting to have this year's crop look like, since I'm using seeds from last year's plants. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2020 7:42 am Rusty liked

Putting germinated seedlings into soil. 

I was overwhelmed at how many of the 100+ seeds I'd saved from last year successfully sprouted. I didn't make a count, but the vast majority of them had the telltale white root poking out, indicating successful germination. I'm scratching my head over what to do with this unlooked-for bounty. Obviously, for a number of reasons, I need to get rid of all but about 10 or so of the little guys. One of the most compelling reasons is because the law in my state only allows private citizens who do not possess a special growers license to grow only up to about 10 or 12 plants at any time. Or something like that. If it was summer, perhaps there would be options available that did not involve just killing the unwanted seedlings, but I won't go into that, and it's not summer here anyway, not by a long shot! 

So, I plan on sprouting these puppies - as many as I can - and then thin out the herd to keep just the hardiest-looking plants. Sigh. I almost feel like I'm contemplating aborting a whole bunch of fetuses or something. But it must be done this way. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 8:17 pm cliston liked

Putting germinated seedlings into soil. 

I was overwhelmed at how many of the 100+ seeds I'd saved from last year successfully sprouted. I didn't make a count, but the vast majority of them had the telltale white root poking out, indicating successful germination. I'm scratching my head over what to do with this unlooked-for bounty. Obviously, for a number of reasons, I need to get rid of all but about 10 or so of the little guys. One of the most compelling reasons is because the law in my state only allows private citizens who do not possess a special growers license to grow only up to about 10 or 12 plants at any time. Or something like that. If it was summer, perhaps there would be options available that did not involve just killing the unwanted seedlings, but I won't go into that, and it's not summer here anyway, not by a long shot! 

So, I plan on sprouting these puppies - as many as I can - and then thin out the herd to keep just the hardiest-looking plants. Sigh. I almost feel like I'm contemplating aborting a whole bunch of fetuses or something. But it must be done this way. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 8:17 pm MtnDan liked

I've got my little seedlings in soil now. Because I have such a profligate bounty of seedlings, I'm doing a bit of experimentation. I'm using three methods to bring the seedlings to the level where they'll be entering their grow stage in a few weeks: Jiffy Peat Plugs, Rapid Rooter Plugs, and old-fashioned gardening soil-filled peat seedling cups. Because I'm literally swimming in germinated seeds, I just rinsed them off carefully and then placed about 3-5 seeds into each plug or cup. When they start getting bigger I'll cull the weak and sickly-looking ones out, leaving just one or two good strong sprouts for each container. Then, eventually, I'll thin out the crop even further to finally end up with four good strong females which I'll take to harvest. I am looking forward to seeing what the results of my experiment will be. And, btw, I am kind of being a little rough in my handling of the guys, since there are so many of them, and I simply did not have the patience to carefully use tweezers to gently lift and place each seed into its waiting container - so I'm sure that not every one of the seedlings are going to get an optimal start, but because I have so many of them it won't really matter. I hope...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 8:27 pm MtnDan liked

I'm going to be getting the coco coir planting medium prepared here in the next couple of days in anticipation of when I'll be needing it to transplant my babies when they've started to show leafage. I plan on following the advice of this group's recommendations - using coco coir, buffering it with a Ca and Mg bath and then adding perlite. However, I don't have the money on hand to purchase the product that is recommended (General Hydroponics CALiMAGic buffer fluid), but I do have some leftover nutrient mixes from last year, which I obtained very cheaply (just paid for the cost of shipping) from Oregon's Own Nectar of the Gods products: the Demeter's Destiny and the Gaia Mania supplements. Together, these two products seem to have lots of Ca and Mg, and should be a fairly good replacement for the CALiMAGic stuff that is being recommended here in this group. I mean, I have this stuff on hand, why not use it? I'm attaching a file that shows the particulars about these two products' ingredients. If you go to their website, it gives you a link to click on that will send you to where you can ask them to send you some free samples of their products (I don't get anything at all if anyone does this, just passing on information). 

https://www.oregonsonly.com/nectar-for-the-gods-products/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 8:40 pm MtnDan liked

I should include a note here: I am probably the complete antithesis of Jorge Cervantes - I am such a procrastinator and so disorganized (I blame it on my ADHD), but somehow I manage to bring my plants to harvest. I don't know why this happens, because in all honesty the poor blighters ought to just kick the bucket and turn into cow fodder, but maybe I have a special fairy godmother looking out for me or something. I always say: if I can grow cannabis, anyone can!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 8:56 pm MtnDan, cliston, FraggleRock and 1 people liked
+ Show 2 comments

This is the first post I've made for about a month, and I have sad news to report. It seems impossible to believe, but I managed to kill off my entire crop within the first week, and so it has been out of embarrassment that I have not posted an update here. 

So how does one go about killing off around 100 seedlings? The quick answer is white mildew. It was all because when I was putting my germinated seeds into soil, I ran out of the Rapid Rooter plugs on hand, and so because I did not want to just toss the sprouted seeds away before seeing which would be worth saving after they'd leafed out, I put the remainder into some old four inch pots I had on hand from a previous grow. But the problem was that the used soil that was in the four inch pots (which I should have replaced but didn't) was contaminated with white mildew fungus, though I did not know this. I placed my little germinated seedlings in a nice warm, humid sprouting chamber, and waited for them to grow. 

So, after a couple of days, I was pleased to see cotelydon leaves forming. I just left them be, thinking that it would be best to not bother them at this point. So, for about 48 hours I didn't look at them, other than to insure that the humidity and light systems were functioning and timed correctly. Then, after a couple of days, I opened up the grow tent and took the little seedlings out to inspect them, and shock and horror, they were all covered with the dreaded fuzzy white mildew fungus. And they were either dead or almost dead. 

I realized there was no saving any of them, because at this point the entire lot had been contaminated with the fungus. So I had to throw the entire harvest in the garbage. 

So now I am getting everything scrubbed clean in my grow tent, and am putting together everything in preparation to start another grow as soon as possible. This time, though, I'll be getting seeds I've ordered through the mail, and I'll be growing Northern Lights regular (ie: non feminized) to see if that will be a good strain for me. 

Sorry folks, I failed the challenge. But I failed it in magnificent style, so maybe that counts for a booby prize or something. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2020 5:58 am Gadgetman liked
+ Show 1 comments