Forum

NYGC Blues: Hazy Blue Hills

Page 1 / 3 Next
SmokingCrow
Eminent Member
Cannabis Fan
NYGC Blues: Hazy Blue Hills

My first grow were autos and the dry yield per plant is about an ounce per plant. The grow room is 2.5’ x 6’ and three lights units with twelve 18w fluorescent tubes in each unit.

The plants were grown in standard gardening compost and watered with tomorite and liquid seaweed.

Temps and humidities were high in initial growth, mid 70% and then lowered as the outside temperature dropped to mid 50%.

The grow time was slow, four months, 19 weeks from seed to harvest.

All while I tended the plants, I listened to podcasts and read forums, all laden with knowledge. Sifting genuine knowledge from bullshit is difficult and I’ve found general gardening experience has helped. The podcasts have been particularly enlightening.

The limiting factors in my grow room was:

light – fluorescent is not ideal 486w

Water – hand watering

Medium and Nutrients – compost and tomorite & liquid seaweed

Temperature – significantly affected by external weather temperature

CO2 – just atmospheric co2.

My new updated growroom will have:

light – Nine burple full spectrum 8x50w LED = 400W

Water – Auto watering

Medium and Nutrients – super soil, compost tea and mycorrhizal fungi

Temperature – Install a 2kw heater to keep the temperature in 24-30C.

Another challenge I had was the height of the grow room. I was using uncontrolled/planned low-stress training – LST. For future grows I will use something called mainlining, as recommended by Dr. Coco and end up with a simple scrog.

During my grow I dropped a large fluorescent light fitting onto a plant and broke the main stem at about 4” off above the soil. I used colloidal silver and was able to collect feminised pollen from amnesia haze auto. I fertilised a blueberry and have blue-haze/amnesia-blue/blue-amnesia. Blue hills were part of my childhood hence the name.

Cannabis Grow DSC 9348

The seeds are looking striped and brown. These are the seeds that I’ll use for this grow challenge.

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. A. A. Milne
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 9:49 am RyDizzle, Cannacine.man, VTgrown and 2 people liked

The original fluorescent lighting has now been replaced with eight grow light LEDs.

It took some research, hours on aliexpress and waiting for packages from China.

I decided on 100x100x18mm heat sinks, 80x80 12v fans, 50w full spectrum and heat glue.

Once the parts arrived assembly was straight forward: glue the LED to heat sink. Use a rawl plug, (wall plug) between the blades of the heat sink to hold the fan to the heat sink.

I was advised by an electrical engineer (son) that the power to the fans should be parallel, rather than serial, With that in mind, I used some flat aluminium and used the screws to hold the lights to the bars and to be the 12v connector.

Every alternate light was connected to a plug 200w to each plug.

The light ‘beam’ made with the flat bar was too flexible so I added an angle to stiffen everything.

The lights are unbelievably bright. I'm hoping that yields are good.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4649
Cannabis Grow IMG 4648
Cannabis Grow IMG 4654

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 12:32 pm jtwo, Cannacine.man and Terpgiant liked

Mainlining (Plant Training)

This initially sounded like injecting something directly into a vein. Dr. Coco has a great section on plant training that I’m going to use with the auto seedlings. The current seedlings are only on the 4th node so I’ve a week or so to wait before the knives come out. “Merry Christmas bwahaha” (evil laugh)

Cannabis Grow chainsaw

It’s because the produce from these plants is so important that the thought of cutting a little seedling in half concerns me. Having trained tomatoes and other plants with success so I’m not too worried. The main reason I’m keen to use this method of training is to keep the plant short. I’ve limited headroom in my grow room.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/16/2019 9:49 am Cannacine.man liked
+ Show 1 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

In preparation for the mainlining, I’ve tried it on a plant already growing, it’s not a blue but and amnesia haze. Each photo was taken at about the same time each day. (6 days from the chop)

Cannabis is a remarkably resilient plant.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4717
Cannabis Grow IMG 4716
Cannabis Grow IMG 4713
Cannabis Grow IMG 4708
Cannabis Grow IMG 4706

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/28/2019 7:11 am RyDizzle liked

Happy New Year to you all! The day has come much quicker than expected.

The seeds are my own from my first ever grow that introduced my first ever attempt at breeding cannabis. The F0 parents are Blueberry feminised auto x Amnesia Haze feminised auto and used homemade colloidal silver successfully produced pollen. Both F0 seeds are from ILGM.

As it happens, Santa left a 1000x microscope under the tree, I was so excited and it works on my Linux laptop too.

Initially, using a magnifying glass I sorted the seeds to choose the darkest, stripiest seed. The pressure grew when there were just two seeds and I had to choose just one. “What if the only one seed does not germinate, I need a backup plan, a spare” There is a British saying when referring to Royal Children “An heir and a spare,” just in case something happened to the heir.

Cannabis Grow 2020 01 01 123820
Cannabis Grow 2020 01 01 125059

Both seeds are now in water. Wooooo hoooo! Let the games begin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 5:45 am

After just 24 hours, both the heir and spare have germinated. Of course, I could just tell you but I've got a microscope to play with!!

They are back in the water and will be planted in a pot in the morning - today is dreech, windy, grey, cold and wet. The weatherman is saying there could be sunshine tomorrow but will be "bollock" cold. (I'm paraphrasing)

Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 162705
Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 162925

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2020 8:43 am Pope_Weazl and Cannacine.man liked
+ Show 1 comments

Hello all, I looking for some help identifying these British flies/gnats. I've a couple of large yellow sticky cards hanging in my grow room. the place is not swarming with flies so I'm not overly concerned.

Below appear to be fungus gnats, (apparently) the dark "y" shape in the wings is an easy way to identify them.

Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 204534
Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 204340

These could be hoverflies (beneficial) 

Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 204846
Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 204431

Not sure what this is....wings don't look like a fungus gnat

Cannabis Grow 2020 01 02 203528

link to pdf from Leanne Pundt University of Connecticut
link to pdf Uni of California

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2020 1:20 pm cliston and Cannacine.man liked

The heir and spare are now snuggled into some potting soil and will be moved in with the mothers for a while. When these are ready for transplant, I'll put them into large air pots in the grow room with the other plants.

Naming a "new" strain. 
These are amnesia haze x blueberry so any combination of those words would work, a blue haze is my favourite but I've decided in the short term to call these Bluehills to match the name of the grow journal. It's latin name will be Anterograde Cyanococcus 

Cannabis Grow 2020 01 03 100549
Cannabis Grow potted

Anterograde Cyanococcus

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2020 3:41 am Cannacine.man liked

The cotyledons are poking up through the soil and looking good. They are under mini cloches made from plastic coke bottles, just for the next day or two. I know there is a risk of damping off.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4799
Cannabis Grow IMG 4800

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:11 am Cannacine.man liked

First real leaves have appeared.

A tablespoon of malted barley has been added to the surface of the soil and watered in. Barley enzymes include - amylase, arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, cellulase, chitinase, dehydrogenase, phosphatase, protease and urease. (link) These enzymes make it easier for the little roots to uptake nutrients. I learned on a podcast hosted by Tad, KIS Organics.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4831
Cannabis Grow IMG 4830

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2020 11:12 am Cannacine.man liked

It always seems to take ages to get going, but there is some progress.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4851
Cannabis Grow IMG 4850

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 11:12 am Cannacine.man liked

Growing well, and not too leggy or stretched. Looking to transplant into 12" pots next week with super soil.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4881
Cannabis Grow IMG 4882

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2020 3:53 am Terpgiant liked

Growing well, and not too leggy or stretched. Looking to transplant into 12" pots next week with super soil.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4881
Cannabis Grow IMG 4882

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/15/2020 1:25 am cliston and Terpgiant liked
+ Show 1 comments

Disaster struck! 

I placed one of the seedling pots too close to the tube heater, it wilted over the heater and fried the growing tip.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4974

The sole survivor, the heir, is now in a large 12" pot in the main grow room.

Cannabis Grow IMG 4979

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/17/2020 3:09 am Cannacine.man, Growasaurusrex and Savvygrower liked
+ Show 1 comments

This is the first time I've used KNF (Korean natural farming) additives, most have been shortened to a three-letter acronym, that I’m still learning and getting used to.

FFJ – fermented fruit juice – I made using apples from the orchard and a chopped up banana

WS-Ca – Water-soluble calcium – made using eggshells and vinegar.

Added a little to a watering can and drenched all the plants in the grow room. the proof of the pudding is about 60 days away.

Cannabis Grow IMG 5042

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/22/2020 8:05 am Pope_Weazl, Cannacine.man and Terpgiant liked
Page 1 / 3 Next