PTGC Toppers: Cross-Training Auto White Widow
WW4 is still towering over WW3, and is taking over the tent.
Her colas continue to stack up nicely.
But, while the resin heads are cloudy, I am still not seeing much if any amber.
Meanwhile although a bit shorter, WW3 has some very respectable colas.
And, she is just starting to show amber, which means it is is time to harvest!
I knew this was going to happen. I just harvested the first of my other tent two days ago. I am going to have to rearrange my drying lines to make room for this one. I guess I will be in trim jail tonight!
I was too tired, so I let everyone go another day.
Here's a better picture of the left plant's trichomes.
I started harvesting two days ago. The first half of the plant I harvested and wet-trimmed entire branches. What a hassle! After I had completed training the plant, I guess she had just kept branching little branchess higher up. So, the tops of the colas were good, but the rest of the branch was unripe larf. The back half of the plant, I only harvested the ripe portion of the colas. I'll let the bottom half grow a bit more.
Some of the colas look quite nice in a bouquet!
And some on a tray.
The trichomes on the larger plant still need a bit longer. No amber yet, and even some clear resin heads!
I think I will do a progressive harvest on this plant too. I have now definitely explored the upper limit of training for lots of little colas—too many! I suspect that even with the progressive harvest, my yield is going to suffer a bit. I'm sure I'll have plenty, but the ratio of larf to good bud is higher than I would like. But that's what my new hash washer and bags are for!
After a couple of more cool nights, the upper flowers on the right-hand plant were looking quite lovely!
So, I started harvesting the tops over a couple of days and did a wet trim.
By day 71 of flower, I had harvested, dried, and jarred a total of 282 grams of good-to-excellent quality buds that had been cured to 62% RH, not including a bunch of larf that I didn't weigh and tossed in with the trim for making hash. That is already closing in on my first grow under this light, and I still have the lowers to harvest! Not bad for a couple of auto-flowers.
I lowered the light to 45-cm above the new lower canopy, and they have been growing on a diet of light, water, and cool nights since then. I should have room on the drying lines in the next day or two and can harvest the remainder of the lower flowers.
Cleared room on the drying lines so it is time for the final chop. There are a few nice buds.
There were only a few buds worth trimming and drying,
I put the rest of the buds and trim in a bag to freeze for ice-water sieving. I just realized I don't have a picture of the giant bag, but it was about 3 gallons.
I turned off the lights and fans and auto-fertigation. Tomorrow I will clean out the tent.
I found some jars from my Misfits grow that I wasn't sure whether or not I had weighed, so to make sure I wasn't double-counting or missing any, I took every one of the jars for both that grow and this grow and weighed by taring an empty jar and emptying the contents into it. It was easy with wide mouth jars, but a bit of a challenge with the regular mouth jars as the bigger buds kept getting stuck! It smelled heavenly though while I transferred them.
So, the final totals were:
- Several gallons of larf that I didn't even trim or weigh, just stripped off the branches with the sugar leaves and froze.
- Another gallon of sugar leaves that I wet-trimmed from the buds and dried.
- About a pint of shake that I didn't weigh. I usually don't get any shake, but I harvested some of this when it was too dry, so got shake when pulling the stems out of the trimmed buds. Looks good enough to vape.
- 7 quart jars and one pint jar of excellent, good, and fair White Widow buds weighing a total of 364 grams
The Mars SP250 has a usable PPF of 423 µmol/s, so that's 0.86 g/µmol, despite training too many branches for the space and getting all that larf. That's my best grow so far, and beats my Misfits grow by 0.02 g /µmol.
Thanks everyone. That was quite the grow. See you over in NYGC!