Forum

Soil recipes

Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Hey all just harvested my first organic "supersoil" mix. Top dressings and teas are my main components to keeping my soil ALIVE. But I thought I would share this mix since it is open to the public on another forum and is also part of the DHGC. First some pictures of my ingredients, things not pictured are feather meal, garden lime, diamatocious earth, and bti bits. These were all mixed with roots organics original soil. For those INGREDIENTS
Perlite, Coco Fiber, Peat Moss, Composted Forest Material, Pumice, Worm Castings, Bat Guano, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Kelp Meal, and Greensand

IMG 20181106 000446775
IMG 20181106 000549969
IMG 20181106 000358487
IMG 20181106 000306566

1 cup per bag of oyster shell, feather meal, fish bone meal, langbienite, Epson salt, lime, and phosphate.

One and a half cups of neem meal, granular humic acids, and kelp.

1/2 cup Oregonismxl used throughout growth, great for compost teas!

One 12 quart bag big worm great for compost teas and top dressings.

1 cup bti bits also used as top dress for ipm

Diamatocious earth roughly 2 cups, also used as top dress great for ipm

Mixed all ingredients with one bag roots organics original. Let set for one week in a warm dry place covered and or sprinkle with de. Slightly water soil you want the soil to be wet not muddy. Stir it around to prevent dry spots and clumping making sure soil is damp. I like to then place the wet soil in a garbage can. I specifically bought this from the store not used. This prevents bugs from invading your perfect habitat.

The can will set out in the sun and stirred daily for at least 30 days, making sure all the soil stays damp. You may have to take it out of the can and mix again to make things easier or if doing more then one bag I recommend more then one for multiple plants. One bag fills two 5 gallon fabric pots.

I use this mix as a base for 4 pots and may have some left over. Mixing multiple bags is recommended, if you use the mix for a long veg or want to add a little boost to some tea and used as top dressing before flowering of longer flowering period strains. The pots are filled with 2/3 my mix and topped with roots organics original.

Feel free to post your recipes here too. @Californiakid started a tea thread, maybe time to update ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2018 1:01 am DREVS, Rosettastoned, Dr Coco and 1 people liked
+ Show 6 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Recycled soil mix still to come, won't be ready till late spring.

IMG 20181110 154106341

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 9:02 am Californiakid and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 2 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Honorable Member Charter Member
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Here is my recipe that is cooking currently

Measurements are gallons measured with a 5 gallon bucket

15 gal roots O original 

12.5 gal roots O 707

2.5 gal EWC-  

5 gal compost- purple cow organics

2.5 gal perlite

10 gal roots O soilless coco media  http://www.aurorainnovations.org/soilless.html

2 5 gal fabric pots old soil

These were laying around, 1 gal vermiculite, 3 gal garden promix ultimate organic 

1010071RG

Most amendments are espoma or down to earth.

1 solo cup each- gypsum, iron-tone, neem cake

3 solo cup each- azomite, mega mend

4 Tbsp Mykos

Those got added to the pile....

Made a mix with these- 1 solo cup each oyster shells, granular humic acid, langbeinite, bone meal, blood meal, garden-tone, rock phosphate, neem cake

1 1/2 solo cups fish meal

2 solo cups each kelp meal, alfalfa meal

1/2 solo cup Epsom salt 

10 solo cups of this mix was added to the pile 

Had mixed all this on my basement floor on a tarp.  Mixed for 20 minutes,  then loaded into garbage cans, lightly, wetting it down, adding brown/green leaves plus some smaller cut up branches as I fill the cans. Sits in my basement which is pretty much 70ish degrees all year.  I get some good fungal growth after a few weeks.  I try to dump and mix this twice but at least once.  I would think this should be ready in a month or two but the longer the better.

Started it 10/6 so getting close 

I will use assorted teas throughout the grow and top dress with amendments/compost/EWC.  Also will use fulvic acid and OregonismXL, thanks @chefomj ? , mykos and azos from extreme gardening, molasses 

I'm not as detailed as chef, sorry

"Life is short. Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse" Stanley Hudson
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2018 10:04 pm Chefomj, Californiakid and Dr Coco liked
Californiakid
Prominent Member Charter Member
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Stocking up on ingredients...

20181117 143141

20181117 143156

I bought this from an organic grow shop that promised they were getting a new supplier. No more GO, same humus source, just not buying from GO. So I  bit the bullet.

20181117 143811

still have some more goodies to aquire, but this is a hearty start.

Added to roots organic original (no picture)

I plan a month to cook, most are readily available nutrients. But some time to wake up the microbes will be good. I will also be using teas as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/17/2018 4:46 pm Chefomj and Rosettastoned liked
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

I've read a lot of good things about that EJ rainbow mix.  Still gotta get me some insect frass.

Growwwww TEAM! ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/17/2018 6:13 pm tree dawg, Californiakid and Chefomj liked
Californiakid
Prominent Member Charter Member
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Mixed up a batch of soil in a plastic bag inside of a tote. I brought it in the house to keep warm. I can only imagine what my dear wife will be thinking...

"What you are bringing in here now?"

What until I plug in a heater for it ? ?. Then she's gonna flip. I keep the house cold because my kids and I are hot blooded, she always wants to turn up the heat. But we tell not to.

So, seed mat to keep things toasty and speed up the process.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2018 5:55 pm Chefomj, Rosettastoned and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 8 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Decided to order 20 gallon fabric pots instead of using the plastic 17 gallon.  Going to mix the two,  in use, 17s and my recycled mix.  Ordered some humus and COM lobster compost (free shipping with prime, justifiable now).  Will mix some humus and a bag of compost with one small bag of perlite and vermiculite.   Looking for reduced compaction with a lot of organic matter.

The only amendments I will add are more neem cake, DE, insect frass, and some beneficial nematodes I ordered.  Tired of the gnats lingering around.  Maybe some more alfalfa or kelp meal since they act like a sponge and help with compaction also.

This will easily fill four 20 gallon pots with some to spare.  These will now be my no-till pots.  I have Gorilla Cookies clones that will be run through this right away.  I might check the pH just to see where I stand.

20181211 230124
20181211 230209

Finally started a worm compost bin.  250 worms to start it off.  Shredded non shiny/bleached news paper and cardboard chunks, a little soil, and the coffee grounds/raw vegetable scraps/egg shells/etc.  Also the trash leaves off my last harvest.

20181202 160904

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2018 10:32 pm Chefomj, Californiakid and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 1 comments
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Putting together a new batch while I use my recycled soil for my no till beds. I'll be planting sprouts and legumes along with clover, cilantro, and other cover crop. Just wanted to share, I may add some lime but I thought @Rosettastoned might chime in.

IMG 20190221 011042132

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/21/2019 1:17 am
+ Show 4 comments
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Incase anyone is interested in what I'm cooking up for SAFC, I will post the ingredients here so I don't forget what's in there and so everyone can see my expirement. I spoke about doing a side by side on @cheaphomegrow YouTube channel. This might be a complete failure but this is my list. I'm not sure how to edit this to show as a list but I'll separate it as best I can.

1&1/2 bags cocopalms,30 gallons native mole hill dirt, 2 gallons of roots organics big worm (ewc), 1.5 cubic feet perlite, 4 cups blood meal, 6 cups azomite, 6 cups seabird guano, 1 pound green sand, 6 cups feather meal, 1 pound fish bone meal, 4 cups Epsom salt, 6 cups alfalfa meal, 1 pound granular humic acids, 2 pounds kelp meal, 2 pounds oyster shell, 3 cups garden lime, 6 cups langbienite, 3 cups diamatocious Earth, 6 cups bti bits, 6 cups roots organics uprising foundation and equal part grow, 4 cups uprising bloom, 10 tablespoons oregonismxl, and 6 cups of insect frass. Roots organics Trinity mixed by application rate into 2 gallon solution and watered in.

Like I said it might work it might not. We're going to try watering daily and see how it goes. Happy growing all!

6 0

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/25/2019 7:40 pm DREVS and Californiakid liked
+ Show 2 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Finally dug this one out of tos. This mix performed alright the first time, as No-Till and grow and dump, but needed more organic matter, aeration, and micro/trace.  It has since been recycled and used as No-Till in bigger 20 gal pots on their second cycle.  Added rice hulls, more compost, humus, and mostly micro nutrients when recycled. 

Medium- 3 cubic ft sunshine mix #4 advanced with coco coir w/ mycorrhizae(7 5 gallon buckets)  (NOTE-careful with mixing more than 20% coco coir in soil mixes without adding gypsum and some extra Ca.  My opinion of course)
1 1/2+ 5 gallon buckets each of purple cow activated compost and coast of Maine lobster compost
1 1/2 + 5 gallon buckets each of ewc, two kinds
2 +/- 5 gallon buckets of perlite, added a little vermiculite because I had it laying around.  (NOTE-use more aeration, should be about equal with other parts, ideal ratio is 1:1:1 [peat or coir:humus:aeration])

Amendments...
Equal parts;
Blood meal, Bone meal, Bat guano (N), Iron tone, Garden lime, Garden gypsum, Oyster shells (ground), Green sand, Fish meal, Chicken manure pellets, Rock phosphate, Tomato tone, Garden tone
Dr Earth garden fertilizer w/ mycorrhizae
Doubled these; Alfalfa meal, Kelp meal, Neem cake.  (This mix can be top dressed throughout the whole grow)

Rock dust mix

Azomite, Mega mend natural minerals

i used 3 cups per cubic foot of the amendment mix, that equals about 16 1/2 cups. Then 3 cups of the rock dust mix for the whole pile. ( -NOTE- need a lot more, like 1 cup per cubic foot of the mix, minus the aeration) 
​​​​​​I spread out a tarp in my sunporch and got to work. Took about an hour to measure all out and mix (took me longer to type this out haha). I cleaned out a garbage can and put outside my grow room. Hauled it down stairs in batches wetting it down as I go. It filled a 32 gallon can (compacted) and two, 3/4 full, 17 gallon round totes I'll use for my no-till flowering. Now it just sits for a month at least. Occasionally wetting it down if it gets too dry and mixing at least four times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/14/2019 10:00 am Chefomj and Californiakid liked
+ Show 2 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

https://www.paramountseedfarms.com/super-soil-recipes/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2019 6:59 am Chefomj liked
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

This will be my second no till batch.  Using a close variation of Coot's fix for soil.

My first is up above (2nd in thread), which I added more compost (4 cu ft), pumice (2 cu ft), rice hulls (2 cu ft), and some amendments (kelp, neem cake, alfalfa, etc) to, that's it.  

For this one I had recently added in extra compost (4 cu ft), rice hulls (2 cu ft), pumice (2 cu ft), and some kelp, neem cake, and alfalfa, sound familiar?  Since I had used bagged medium mixes for this batch, I would guess it is half coco/peat.  So.... these pots will get an occasional gypsum topping.

For the base I used 

12.5 5gal old soil (second super soil mix, also above at the top)

4 5gal leaf/grass compost
4.5 5gal screened ¾" lava rock
1 5gal rice hulls

12 c megamend (basically the fines/dust from crushing lava rock from what I can tell)
6 c granular humid acid
2 c alfalfa Meal
6 c crab meal
9 c kelp meal
6 c neem cake
20 c bio char
9 c basalt (course and fines) 
1 bag super compost concentrate(sold at HD)

Topped pots with 1 5gal each

2 5gal perlite (trying to use up what i have)
2 5gal leaf/grass compost
2 5gal old soil

Mulched with leaf compost and hardwood mulch.

20190609 220723

Currently have a 45 gallon fabric pot for worms to compost old soil, unused amendments, any green material (trimmings, bio accumulators,etc).  Making my own compost (already doing this but now adding more specific ingredients), starting comfrey outside soon.

🖤✌

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2019 6:51 am
+ Show 4 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Two more mixes.....

12 5gal spm
6 5gal compost (2 CoM, 2 Bu's bio)
5 5gal EWC (2 Buckaroo blend, 2 simple grow)

2 5gal perlite
2 5gal pumice
3.5 5gal rice hulls
1 cuft small lava rock
3 cuft lava rock

12-15 cups crab/shrimp Meal
12 cups alfalfa Meal
18 cups neem Meal
36 cups biochar
12 cups gypsum
9 cups buildasoil basalt
33 cups rockdustlocal microfines
18 cups kelp meal

Coco coir no till mix 8/6/19

1 cuft coco coir
1 cuft leaf/grass compost, ½ EWC
8 cups humus
1 cuft perlite

1 cup biolive
2 cups kelp meal
2 cups shrimp meal
2 cups rockdustlocal microfines basalt
½ cup alfalfa
2 cups neem meal
2 cup gypsum  
8 cups biochar

This is one 25 gal pot to see how straight coir, instead of SPM, does for no till.  (It wasn't a great first run.  I think when the coir is more decomposed it will perform better) 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2019 7:29 am
+ Show 4 comments
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

New recipe for established plants (young plants and seedlings excluded) that doesn't need to be "cooked". You can use this recipe right away with plants that have an established root system. This recipe is working great for my outdoor 15 gallon gg4 s1, and a few indoor plants in 3 gallon pots. The only soluble fertilizers I've used are, kelplex from down to earth, and Trinity from roots organics.

Recipe is for a single 1.5 cubic feet bag.

• One bag roots organics greenfields 1.5 cubic feet.
  • One gallon big worm (ewc) roots organics.
  • One gallon Coco (I used just coir by Black Gold).
  • 6 cups alfalfa meal
  • 6 cups neem seed meal
  • 3 cups feather meal
  • 3 cups epsom salt
  • 6 cups green sand
  • 4 cups azomite
  • 2 cups rock phosphate
  • 3 cups lime
  • 3 cups seabird guano
  • 5 cups insect frass
  • 6 cups bti bits
  • 4 cups langbienite

I mixed all this stuff in a tote but whatever works for you is fine. After mixing I watered till soil was wet but not saturated. Just enough water to make it moist, not muddy. Sprinkled mykos wp over the top, about 12 tablespoons. Covered and let sit in the sun for one day.

I checked it out the next day and the mykos wp had already started to take effect, growing mycelium. I filled my 15 gallon halfway up with this amended mix, and topped it off with roots organics original about 1/3 of the bag of original was used. The transplantee came from a 10 gallon pot of greenfields.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20200720 102630971 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200719 081614356 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200719 081621954

The 3 gallon pots got filled with a gallon each, placed the one gallon transplantees also in greenfields and filled the rest of the pot with the amended mix. These plants are in flower now and I haven't had any issues thus far.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 135450211 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 135505582 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 140011491 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 140021448

As I said before the majority of these grows have been water only with a pH of 7 and under 280ec. I recommend using filtered water between 6.5-7.0 pH. Kelplex has been used a couple times with each pot at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon and diluted with another gallon of plain water.

If not using a hard water source or something with minerals I would probably add about 6 cups of oyster shell or have a calmag supplement on hand. I've given these plants epsom salt foliars once a week, twice a day before transplanting so I think it helps. It doesn't hurt to give them a little foliar of calmag here and there anyways.

I haven't had to use any pesticides, though pest pressure hasn't been an issue this year either. I have plenty of beneficial insects and predators around here but the neem, insect frass, and bti should prevent infestations for the most part.

Happy growing!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/21/2020 8:55 am
Frogtown-Flower
Practicing Grower

Hello fellow growers.  I'm looking to make the switch to a living, no till soil.  I grow indoors in a 4x8 tent under 2x TSL 2000 LED lights.  I would like to purchase a 4x4 fabric bed to put my soil in.  I have a couple questions.  In a 4x4 bed, how many plants can I fit without them fighting each other?  I only need 2 or 3 at a time.  Once I introduce the worms and beneficial insects, will I have a problem with them spreading throughout my home?  And last but not not least.  Quality.  I've been reading that hydroponic grows lend their hand to more yield at the cost of some quality.  And the opposite can be said for a super soil.  Have you guys found this to be true?

Thank you 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/21/2020 9:59 am
+ Show 6 comments