Forum

[Sticky] Soil recipes

Page 1 / 2 Next
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Hey all just harvested my first organic "supersoil" mix. Top dressings and teas are my main components to keeping my soil ALIVE. But I thought I would share this mix since it is open to the public on another forum and is also part of the DHGC. First some pictures of my ingredients, things not pictured are feather meal, garden lime, diamatocious earth, and bti bits. These were all mixed with roots organics original soil. For those INGREDIENTS
Perlite, Coco Fiber, Peat Moss, Composted Forest Material, Pumice, Worm Castings, Bat Guano, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Kelp Meal, and Greensand

IMG 20181106 000446775
IMG 20181106 000549969
IMG 20181106 000358487
IMG 20181106 000306566

1 cup per bag of oyster shell, feather meal, fish bone meal, langbienite, Epson salt, lime, and phosphate.

One and a half cups of neem meal, granular humic acids, and kelp.

1/2 cup Oregonismxl used throughout growth, great for compost teas!

One 12 quart bag big worm great for compost teas and top dressings.

1 cup bti bits also used as top dress for ipm

Diamatocious earth roughly 2 cups, also used as top dress great for ipm

Mixed all ingredients with one bag roots organics original. Let set for one week in a warm dry place covered and or sprinkle with de. Slightly water soil you want the soil to be wet not muddy. Stir it around to prevent dry spots and clumping making sure soil is damp. I like to then place the wet soil in a garbage can. I specifically bought this from the store not used. This prevents bugs from invading your perfect habitat.

The can will set out in the sun and stirred daily for at least 30 days, making sure all the soil stays damp. You may have to take it out of the can and mix again to make things easier or if doing more then one bag I recommend more then one for multiple plants. One bag fills two 5 gallon fabric pots.

I use this mix as a base for 4 pots and may have some left over. Mixing multiple bags is recommended, if you use the mix for a long veg or want to add a little boost to some tea and used as top dressing before flowering of longer flowering period strains. The pots are filled with 2/3 my mix and topped with roots organics original.

Feel free to post your recipes here too. @Californiakid started a tea thread, maybe time to update ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2018 1:01 am DREVS, Rosettastoned, Dr Coco and 1 people liked
+ Show 6 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Recycled soil mix still to come, won't be ready till late spring.

IMG 20181110 154106341

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 9:02 am Californiakid and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 2 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Honorable Member Charter Member
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Rosettastoned Redacted 

"Life is short. Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse" Stanley Hudson
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2018 10:04 pm Chefomj, Californiakid and Dr Coco liked
Californiakid
Prominent Member Charter Member
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Stocking up on ingredients...

20181117 143141

20181117 143156

I bought this from an organic grow shop that promised they were getting a new supplier. No more GO, same humus source, just not buying from GO. So I  bit the bullet.

20181117 143811

still have some more goodies to aquire, but this is a hearty start.

Added to roots organic original (no picture)

I plan a month to cook, most are readily available nutrients. But some time to wake up the microbes will be good. I will also be using teas as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/17/2018 4:46 pm Chefomj and Rosettastoned liked
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

I've read a lot of good things about that EJ rainbow mix.  Still gotta get me some insect frass.

Growwwww TEAM! ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/17/2018 6:13 pm tree dawg, Californiakid and Chefomj liked
Californiakid
Prominent Member Charter Member
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Mixed up a batch of soil in a plastic bag inside of a tote. I brought it in the house to keep warm. I can only imagine what my dear wife will be thinking...

"What you are bringing in here now?"

What until I plug in a heater for it ? ?. Then she's gonna flip. I keep the house cold because my kids and I are hot blooded, she always wants to turn up the heat. But we tell not to.

So, seed mat to keep things toasty and speed up the process.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2018 5:55 pm Chefomj, Rosettastoned and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 8 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Rosettastoned Redacted 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2018 10:32 pm Chefomj, Californiakid and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 1 comments
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Putting together a new batch while I use my recycled soil for my no till beds. I'll be planting sprouts and legumes along with clover, cilantro, and other cover crop. Just wanted to share, I may add some lime but I thought @Rosettastoned might chime in.

IMG 20190221 011042132

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/21/2019 1:17 am
+ Show 4 comments
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Incase anyone is interested in what I'm cooking up for SAFC, I will post the ingredients here so I don't forget what's in there and so everyone can see my expirement. I spoke about doing a side by side on @cheaphomegrow YouTube channel. This might be a complete failure but this is my list. I'm not sure how to edit this to show as a list but I'll separate it as best I can.

1&1/2 bags cocopalms,30 gallons native mole hill dirt, 2 gallons of roots organics big worm (ewc), 1.5 cubic feet perlite, 4 cups blood meal, 6 cups azomite, 6 cups seabird guano, 1 pound green sand, 6 cups feather meal, 1 pound fish bone meal, 4 cups Epsom salt, 6 cups alfalfa meal, 1 pound granular humic acids, 2 pounds kelp meal, 2 pounds oyster shell, 3 cups garden lime, 6 cups langbienite, 3 cups diamatocious Earth, 6 cups bti bits, 6 cups roots organics uprising foundation and equal part grow, 4 cups uprising bloom, 10 tablespoons oregonismxl, and 6 cups of insect frass. Roots organics Trinity mixed by application rate into 2 gallon solution and watered in.

Like I said it might work it might not. We're going to try watering daily and see how it goes. Happy growing all!

6 0

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/25/2019 7:40 pm DREVS and Californiakid liked
+ Show 2 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Rosettastoned Redacted 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/14/2019 10:00 am Chefomj and Californiakid liked
+ Show 2 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Redacted 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2019 6:59 am Chefomj liked
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Rosettastoned Redacted 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2019 6:51 am
+ Show 4 comments
Rosettastoned
(@rosettastoned)
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Rosettastoned Redacted 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2019 7:29 am
+ Show 4 comments
Chefomj
  Chefomj
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

New recipe for established plants (young plants and seedlings excluded) that doesn't need to be "cooked". You can use this recipe right away with plants that have an established root system. This recipe is working great for my outdoor 15 gallon gg4 s1, and a few indoor plants in 3 gallon pots. The only soluble fertilizers I've used are, kelplex from down to earth, and Trinity from roots organics.

Recipe is for a single 1.5 cubic feet bag.

• One bag roots organics greenfields 1.5 cubic feet.
  • One gallon big worm (ewc) roots organics.
  • One gallon Coco (I used just coir by Black Gold).
  • 6 cups alfalfa meal
  • 6 cups neem seed meal
  • 3 cups feather meal
  • 3 cups epsom salt
  • 6 cups green sand
  • 4 cups azomite
  • 2 cups rock phosphate
  • 3 cups lime
  • 3 cups seabird guano
  • 5 cups insect frass
  • 6 cups bti bits
  • 4 cups langbienite

I mixed all this stuff in a tote but whatever works for you is fine. After mixing I watered till soil was wet but not saturated. Just enough water to make it moist, not muddy. Sprinkled mykos wp over the top, about 12 tablespoons. Covered and let sit in the sun for one day.

I checked it out the next day and the mykos wp had already started to take effect, growing mycelium. I filled my 15 gallon halfway up with this amended mix, and topped it off with roots organics original about 1/3 of the bag of original was used. The transplantee came from a 10 gallon pot of greenfields.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20200720 102630971 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200719 081614356 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200719 081621954

The 3 gallon pots got filled with a gallon each, placed the one gallon transplantees also in greenfields and filled the rest of the pot with the amended mix. These plants are in flower now and I haven't had any issues thus far.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 135450211 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 135505582 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 140011491 HDR
Cannabis Grow IMG 20200718 140021448

As I said before the majority of these grows have been water only with a pH of 7 and under 280ec. I recommend using filtered water between 6.5-7.0 pH. Kelplex has been used a couple times with each pot at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon and diluted with another gallon of plain water.

If not using a hard water source or something with minerals I would probably add about 6 cups of oyster shell or have a calmag supplement on hand. I've given these plants epsom salt foliars once a week, twice a day before transplanting so I think it helps. It doesn't hurt to give them a little foliar of calmag here and there anyways.

I haven't had to use any pesticides, though pest pressure hasn't been an issue this year either. I have plenty of beneficial insects and predators around here but the neem, insect frass, and bti should prevent infestations for the most part.

Happy growing!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/21/2020 8:55 am
Frogtown-Flower
Eminent Member
Practicing Grower

Hello fellow growers.  I'm looking to make the switch to a living, no till soil.  I grow indoors in a 4x8 tent under 2x TSL 2000 LED lights.  I would like to purchase a 4x4 fabric bed to put my soil in.  I have a couple questions.  In a 4x4 bed, how many plants can I fit without them fighting each other?  I only need 2 or 3 at a time.  Once I introduce the worms and beneficial insects, will I have a problem with them spreading throughout my home?  And last but not not least.  Quality.  I've been reading that hydroponic grows lend their hand to more yield at the cost of some quality.  And the opposite can be said for a super soil.  Have you guys found this to be true?

Thank you 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/21/2020 9:59 am
+ Show 6 comments
Page 1 / 2 Next