Forum

SAFC Suns: The seeds are in!

Page 1 / 2 Next

So, an unfortunately late start to the SAFC buuut I am happy to report that the seeds are finally in! 

I just finished converting an under stair closet into a 3x3 grow space that I will be using for this challenge, landing me right in the “suns” category.

I will be growing three different strains for this challenge- I went with wedding cheesecake and blue dream from fast buds genetics, and watermelon zkittlez from Barney’s farm.

They were all planted last night directly in their three gallon grow bags- I decided to use the “stonington blend” from coast of Maine.

I am a new grower and this is my first experience with auto flowers (truth be told, besides that one plant you see in the picture this will be my first grow period). It was an unfortunately late start but I am happy to finally have my area set up and am excited to participate in the SAFC!

Cannabis Grow 53A6C686 D5EA 4983 9D2C 895F5F12AA2E
Cannabis Grow 01BEEB5B 26D6 4929 BAF6 9543E5DF8111

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/23/2021 1:21 pm
  Anonymous
Cannabis Fan
Completed Grows

So nothing crazy to report, I had a few dome covers laying around and to make myself feel useful as I am literally checking in on my plants every two seconds (okay not literally, but it’s clear that I am a helicopter parent)- I decided to bring them with me one of those visits and try to situate them within the grow bags containing the auto flower seeds that I  just planted.

I am not sure if this will actually be beneficial, or maybe it is creating somewhat of a placebo like effect making me FEEL as though I am doing something helpful without having any great impact on when these seeds break ground. I suppose as long as this isn’t harming them it doesn’t matter- time will tell, but I will feel MUCH better once I see that they have officially sprouted. 

Also, I wasn’t quite sure if it was ok for me to start the seeds in that grow area or if the light would be too intense, so I turned the light down to 30% and plan on gradually raising up the power as they can handle it.

Cannabis Grow 5631890A CF6B 4454 B873 5146B3BEB5C3

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/24/2021 6:02 pm

So for today to be completely honest I really had nothin for ya in terms of updates- the only update was a not so good one on a debatably dispensable plant that also happened to be a photo (bagseed gelato 45) so I really haven’t included too much on that one in here.

However (and here’s where the pleasant surprise comes into play) I went to water each of the plants and a little bit of dirt was displaced (specks of dirt , don’t worry there was no monsoon) just enough to see a little somethin somethin that leads me to believe I may have a little baby sprout real soon (tomorrow🤞) out of the watermelon zkittlez from Barney’s farm.

The other two I’m still waiting on but I wasn’t going to even let myself be concerned until maybe a week or so- no worries (yet), as mentioned in the title- this is just a pleasant surprise!

this is nothing for the average or advanced grower but I am in nothing less than what can be described as the honey moon stage and this is awesome! I am riiight around the corner from my first auto flower seed popping out of the ground! Until like last week, I thought that G45 bag seed I found was a one of a kind national treasure (ok I’m exaggerating but I was honestly quite enthused)...  and then I find out that it is actually not so ideal AND that many wouldn’t bother with it at all. 
And now, now I see signs of life from my very first autoflower which is amazing and I am super stoked on what is to come- 

here is the picture if you would like to play “where’s Waldo” with the seed below.

Cannabis Grow B84CED6D 713A 4897 97CB F1B2FC60B7C8

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/25/2021 2:28 pm

Ok, we are officially in business- all three seeds have sprouted! 
The first to break soil was the watermelon zkittlez from Barney’s farm- however, although the blue dream from fastbuds came up second, while I was at work today, it has been busy and actually surpassed the Barney’s farm only by just a bit. And lastly we have our wedding cheesecake that juuuuust broke out of the seed but wasnt really standing up just yet (which is why I decided to wait a day or two before I take a picture of that one)

It’s super exciting, that means three for three auto flower seeds that were planted have sprouted- dr. Coco had compared growing auto flowers to riding a roller coaster and I would consider this point that I’m at, as just having boarded the rollercoaster and the ride is about to start!

To tell you the truth, I’m a little bit nervous that I am going to encounter an issue (or many)- it seems like what will be, will be.  I think this is both good and bad, certainly less than ideal- however, I think the good that comes from it is that yes I am aware that some thing may happen- but it seems like even if I was a pro, the timeline from seed to harvest and it’s finicky nature leads me to believe that even at my best I may still be at the mercy of the auto flower..... good thing I like rollercoasters, I’m ready to roll! Until next time growmies, until next time ✌️

Cannabis Grow 2BC3B870 A161 4507 AD48 4695128F45D8
Cannabis Grow 87CEBACF B89F 497C 8520 1883AF3E89B4

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/27/2021 1:19 pm Crispywannabe liked

Ohh boy.... so as I mentioned in a previous post (possibly in my other grow journal I have goin) we have company right now and the grow are is right next to their room so this morning when I woke up, I decided to check on the plants with the little camera I put in there- no connection... 

I went to go check on it and when I opened the door the light was off... I check the outlets, there is no power coming from the wall- I am not an electrician so this is is a problem- I check the panel, everything looks fine as far as I can tell, so I turned off all the breakers and turned everything back on.... nothing.... I was internally losing it at that point not quite sure what to do (as I have company and REALLY can’t tend to this issue the way I want to and need to) so I decided to run an extension cord and only plug in the timer, the light, and the two fans- this is just a band aid and I am in no way satisfied with this temporary “fix” but for now it will have to do- 

Something I noticed is during the commotion was I must’ve messed with the stuff I had put around the door to block out the light- I noticed waaay more light coming through than there was. So I turned the light out early so it doesn’t get noticed and may have to shut it down early which will COMPLETELY mess up any schedule I had or was planning with that one (debatably expendable) photoperiod plant. And I guess will be a real test of what kind of stress these autos will be able to take... ugggh

I had turned up the light to 50% and now the temp jumped from around 70 degrees to now about 80... I have to make a decision on how I want to address that -I think I’ll probably turn it back down for now, I can’t get to wrapped up in that, this electric issue is the real problem for me. Things are nuts over here right now but I needed to write about it because this is EXACTLY the type of stuff that I would like to be able to look back on... the journey

something else I noticed was that the wedding cheesecake was looking funny... the cotyledons were shut kind of like a clam but looked like it was trying to open and having trouble- upon closer inspection- I realized there was a clear membrane like somethin or other that keeping it closed. This plant had a bit of a helmet head type thing goin on so I had helped take it off, and this was left over from that. That was two days ago so I knew somethin was up... and wouldn’t you know it- what do I see when they finally open up? Two little leaves that look like devil horns... this was extremely fitting with all the silly things going on over here- so that was at least kinda funny...

here is today’s update

Cannabis Grow 7E5A72BA 1791 440C A3F8 9C8ECF973F21
Cannabis Grow DF92CBE5 580D 421A A68D E165F7DC970A
Cannabis Grow 47881F0C D3A4 4732 99F8 31AC95E26E26
Cannabis Grow D2BADF28 2612 44EE ACC1 0D3F95235D55

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/30/2021 9:03 pm

Ohh boy.... so as I mentioned in a previous post (possibly in my other grow journal I have goin) we have company right now and the grow are is right next to their room so this morning when I woke up, I decided to check on the plants with the little camera I put in there- no connection... 

I went to go check on it and when I opened the door the light was off... I check the outlets, there is no power coming from the wall- I am not an electrician so this is is a problem- I check the panel, everything looks fine as far as I can tell, so I turned off all the breakers and turned everything back on.... nothing.... I was internally losing it at that point not quite sure what to do (as I have company and REALLY can’t tend to this issue the way I want to and need to) so I decided to run an extension cord and only plug in the timer, the light, and the two fans- this is just a band aid and I am in no way satisfied with this temporary “fix” but for now it will have to do- 

Something I noticed is during the commotion was I must’ve messed with the stuff I had put around the door to block out the light- I noticed waaay more light coming through than there was. So I turned the light out early so it doesn’t get noticed and may have to shut it down early which will COMPLETELY mess up any schedule I had or was planning with that one (debatably expendable) photoperiod plant. And I guess will be a real test of what kind of stress these autos will be able to take... ugggh

I had turned up the light to 50% and now the temp jumped from around 70 degrees to now about 80... I have to make a decision on how I want to address that -I think I’ll probably turn it back down for now, I can’t get to wrapped up in that, this electric issue is the real problem for me. Things are nuts over here right now but I needed to write about it because this is EXACTLY the type of stuff that I would like to be able to look back on... the journey

something else I noticed was that the wedding cheesecake was looking funny... the cotyledons were shut kind of like a clam but looked like it was trying to open and having trouble- upon closer inspection- I realized there was a clear membrane like somethin or other that keeping it closed. This plant had a bit of a helmet head type thing goin on so I had helped take it off, and this was left over from that. That was two days ago so I knew somethin was up... and wouldn’t you know it- what do I see when they finally open up? Two little leaves that look like devil horns... this was extremely fitting with all the silly things going on over here- so that was at least kinda funny...

here is today’s update

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/30/2021 9:06 pm

here is today’s update

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote

Something I noticed is during the commotion  I must’ve messed with the stuff I had put around the door to block out the light- I noticed waaay more light coming through than there was. So I turned the light out early so it doesn’t get noticed and may have to shut it down early which will COMPLETELY mess up any schedule I had or was planning with that one (debatably expendable) photoperiod plant. And I guess will be a real test of what kind of stress these autos will be able to take... ugggh

here is today’s update

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote

Sorry folks, I certainly didn’t mean to create multiple posts of the same update... it didn’t look like it was going through and rather than be patient and wait, I started tapping that submit button like it was my job- all to find out that when it finally loaded the next page, I saw it had actually been posted multiple times- I tried to see if I could delete it but couldn’t find that, soooo now there is an abundance of identical posts from yours truly which I am both sorry and slightly embarrassed about...

however, I am extremely happy to report that my electric is back on- I am hoping that it’s not an electric issue and it’s more of a new homeowner not knowing how all the 3 way switches work in their house- everything seems to be going well in there so far... i am disappointed in the madness I had messed up the wall and Mylar a little bit- I put enough of a bandaid on it that I think I should be able to get through the grow without my ocd getting the best of me, but trust me... as soon as I take them out of that closet, I neeeeeeed to fix that stuff. Also I drilled a couple new, and now quite unnecessary holes in the walls (don’t tell my wife) to run extension cords. So those will be getting fixed too- but I have to say I feel a great deal of relief being able to use the outlets I had installed- i know that MANY people run extension cords and use surge protectors and stuff but I’m going to have to blame my newb status and lack of electrical knowledge on this one- I don’t know how much is too much as far as plugging things in to either a surge protector orrrrr even just an extension cord (or two) coming from the same outlet, then a surge protector, then stuff plugged into that... like is that in itself a fire hazard? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have no idea, but what I DO know is that I feel much better everything is working again!

updates are getting difficult because of the company but I’m still trying to snap a few quick pics every time I’m in there.

something that is not only on my radar-but something that I am in fact, getting increasingly worried about is the fact that I have a vacation coming up and I need to water my plants- when they were little they really didn’t go through a whole lot of water and I likely would have been able to give it a full watering and then by the time I got back it’d probably be ready for another watering- but no, now I will certainly not be able to get away with that- so now the internal battle of a cheap auto watering system (like so cheap that there will be question if it will even be functional) orrr having someone water them for me... I know I can trust this person but idk I’d rather not... we’ll see I guess. 
here are some update pictures I took yesterday- the devil horns are pretty much gone from that one plant, I ant wait until these really take off!

Cannabis Grow BD427669 7D76 4563 B625 84C426F5E0F8
Cannabis Grow DC1025C5 3EBB 47EE 90A5 9A03F527A69D
Cannabis Grow C0BF64F0 4370 4345 95C2 F07FE620DBF7
Cannabis Grow B8EC2EE1 BEDF 4331 B20E 54440F11703B

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2021 5:40 am

OK so like I was saying in the title, a lot has happened and not much has happened at all since the last update . 
There was a spike in temperature which wasn’t terrible I found out after freaking out about it and losing sleep about it for at least pretty much a full 24 hours. It only went up to 82 and as a beginner I had no idea that that was OK for some reason I was thinking 70s so I set my alarm on the T4 to tell me when it got up above 82 so I come home to find that thing beeping and boy was that an unpleasant surprise. Like I said keep in mind that I did not know this was OK, in fact I thought it was more like the end of the world at least for the plants.

as a quick fix I opened the door tried wafting some of that warm air out, but then outcomes the smell and I have to close it.... The temperature went down a degree or two but quickly went back up and I probably was upstairs for less than an hour and it went right back to the same temp and of course on my next pass by the room, I hear the beeping again and start freaking out internally yet again (I really have to stop doin g that 😂)

this time I just turn out the light I can’t be too obvious I keep going back to it it’s obvious some thing has my attention in that general area of the house- now for autos it (turning out the light) may not be ideal but as far as I understand, me doing that and having my one photo in there, that might really throw a wrench into the process and I want NOTHING to do with that. So we go to bed and my mind is wrapped around this issue and all my gears are turning and it wakes me up at 3 AM. I know I can’t throw more money at this at The moment so I have to come up with something super super super cheap or ideally something free. 
At this point I just wish all my fans we are larger and more powerful including the AC infinity, like hindsight I probably would’ve went with the 6 inch but too late for that (for this grow, I’ll get one in one of the next runs) so literally at 3 AM, it wakes me up and I come up with a poorly rigged cheap answer to my issue which was fill up a bunch of Poland Spring bottles with tapwater (most of the way due to expansion I didn’t want to fill it completely) and throw them in the freezer, when I woke up for the day in three hours most of the bottles were frozen and a couple or frozen most of the way which was good enough for me- 

I put probably 12 or 13 frozen bottles of water in in around my 3 x 3 space in front of and behind any fans I could, and then left for work with my fingers crossed....

when I came home, no joke, as silly as that method sounded and I’m still not 100% that it worked or I was messing with the light (I just want to add that I turned the percentage way down and that was having no effect on temp. what I mean by nothing on the light is- there is another switch on the ballast that I can turn on and off without turning the whole light on and off so I’m probably controlling a certain group of diodes that run hotter than the others)

anyways, when I got home the space was 10° lower than it had been previously-so since that day which has been about three or four days ago now, I’ve been doing that and it’s extra work and it’s silly and there is a better way or many, but for right now this will have to do. 

so as you might’ve guessed that’s the part of the title where I said a lot has been happening and it sure has-however, as far as growth they are slowly and steadily chugging along but no real jumps in growth to note. The devil horn plant little devil leaves are all gone and it looks quite normal so we will see what happens, but again I feel like right now for the next little bit I’m just going to be playing the waiting game, giving them water when they need it keeping an eye on everything and just let them do their thing. 

Here is where they are now-

Cannabis Grow C9186635 0420 4526 BCC2 2F534063AD94
Cannabis Grow 5DE92DF7 3CE9 4F90 8F96 44CF6060067E

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2021 4:29 am

Hey all, not too much to report- 

I had to raise the temp alarm on the ac infinity to 90 degrees as it has gotten much much hotter recently and the temperature in the space seems to consistently be between 83-85. I’m cool with that (or at least I think I am) I just don’t want it to go up any. 
They are coming along a bit, no crazy growth to report but they’re coming along slowly but surely... 

Cannabis Grow 5F1D4281 B4C2 4D93 AD0B D587E97E29A6
Cannabis Grow 8A6E56D2 3816 4FF6 BE37 B4DEF1FFEED4
Cannabis Grow D329442F F0E2 4C38 A7A6 B2B7B8723C50

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/07/2021 9:29 am Green Mountain liked

So as mentioned in the title- I am kicking myself....

no- there are no serious problems (that I am aware of) but I would expect that any one on this site has heard of the saying “hindsight is 20/20” - well yes, again I have proved it’s accuracy....

what I mean by that is- I wish that I had kept track of when I first planted that g45 (photo) because I just checked on the plants and noticed that even though it took a bit to get rollin, these autos are now showing signs of pretty rapid growth in direct comparison to the photo plant I have in there... it’s kind of cool actually noticing the difference which of course is why I am now kicking myself- I think it’s interesting and really wanted to do a day to day direct comparison.

does it matter much? No, no it doesn’t- but these things at a point, are going to surpass the g45 which is much much older and I was just a bit curious on which day that will actually happen. Oh well just somethin to think about for round 2. 
anyway here they are catching up! 

Cannabis Grow 36DBEEB7 FE34 459B 9173 DE39E5EA71E6
Cannabis Grow E262C9C2 7FAE 4E77 A90E 2C710BCB8F0A
Cannabis Grow 537116CC B25F 4703 95E8 D14680286072
Cannabis Grow FBC8AB73 B955 4341 8AED 32960C473CD0
Cannabis Grow D8B975D1 BEA0 4961 A98F 793ACB3508CB

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2021 7:01 am Green Mountain liked
+ Show 2 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Ohhh boy…. Sooo.. I thought I was being slick and tried quickly training the autos while the visitor I have over was upstairs in the shower (as to avoid detection via the intense pot smell that hits you in the face as soon as the closet door opens) 

annnnd yeah no, shouldn’t have done that… 2 of the three plants actually seem okay but man…. I think one of them is in a world of trouble… not only am I seeing signs of something going on with the leaves (which I have posted below👇 -if anyone out there can identify the issue and wouldn’t mind helpin a newb, it would be greatly appreciated!!)

but also while I was hastily training the plants I must’ve pinched the stalk of the watermelon skittlez too hard, didn’t realize at the time but when I checked on it the next day the whole top was hanging on by a string so I just reluctantly took it off- I basically topped it (which sucks as I was trying to LST it) in a not so ideal spot on the stalk and DEFINITELY hurt that poor plant- my fingers are crossed she bounces back- 

Cannabis Grow 70999C22 FAD1 43FD 978C 38B0FA48E79B
Cannabis Grow 5F0C36CE A6E5 4D7C 94DB E4D18BFFF0D3
Cannabis Grow 751002A6 6CA4 4077 8C2A A19C206348EA
Cannabis Grow 2BD538DF DA93 4B62 A0D3 7B1810D39B89
Cannabis Grow 308297B0 7F0C 4B87 A30F 6770C0D1D282
Cannabis Grow 4136DD96 13BA 4B8E B613 FE5C2BA9E29F
Cannabis Grow 3B617F08 BC65 4694 A899 168C35765EDC

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/21/2021 9:00 am
Okay okay so lesson learned- no hasty training… what happened since last 
update was not much at first… Due to the fact that I knew I messed up, I
couldn’t bring myself to look even
look at them- out of fear of what I had done- what did I do you ask?Well.. its not as bad as straight
killing the autos- however I
stressed them so bad that I threw 2 into pre flower… soo at least it’s doing something..?🤷🏻‍♂️ Buuut this will have a direct result on
yields 🤦🏻‍♂️- now if I can get at least a little something from these, I think oddly enough, that bag seed g45 is going to be my monster (relatively speaking, this 1. Is a novices definition of monster, and 2. Contextually they are being directly compared to 3
dinky autos that I managed to mess up, as I’m sure they could’ve been much bigger when starting to show signs of
flowering. I’m still having a blast
though happy as ever enjoying myself and the experience- I’m excited to see the things that I can improve upon next time around having experienced a few unexpected “hiccups”
I plan on growing more autos but truth be told coming into this, I was more attracted to the what I believed autos to be- and while I wasn’t far off as far as definition… I think that in
practice, I would have more fun with autos-
i like that I have been able to really get in there and play with them and try different things and watch how it
recovers- it’s pretty cool- for example before I started the thought of defoliation wasn’t even something I wanted to hear I had to do- I actively planned on ignoring that advice but to my pleasant surprise, I wisened up and
have defoliate that one about four times now and have done some LST twice now- and I’m excited to see how big I can get this thing. Once the autos
are out of there I can really give the photo some real space and undivided attention- depending on the situation
and what it’s looking like- scrogging might be in that plants future- maybe
not though, I’m still undecided. One thing that I know for sure, I would really like to try my hand at main lining as I get more comfortable with LST and my accidental less than ideal topping of that one plant. I realized I MAY (just may) be able to pull that off, but I know for sure it’s something
id love to at least try.
Cannabis Grow 5605CEDC E164 49DA 8AA4 CCA65BBE429F
Cannabis Grow 76B2AAA9 3B61 4C1C A109 935B7869563D
Cannabis Grow 797B0A74 385E 443D AA95 9670D013DBDA
Cannabis Grow 488F4B23 9B76 488C A206 313C85B1C5F7

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/27/2021 7:06 pm

So as you saw in the title, we did it- for better or for worse, we left for vacation and those girls will be all by themselves for about a week. Prior to this I bought a pump of off Amazon but due to the fact that I had said visitor over, it had been really hard to get in there for longer than five minutes- I blindly set up the drip system and everything was too long (the hoses) and I didn’t have time to fix it- the good news is in the madness, I actually ordered not only that, but most of the components for dr.cocos diy drip system with the halos, I just have a few more things to get so I will have that for next run.

What did I do? Well pretty much until a couple posts ago I found out I had been under watering so i bought some plant saucers and really have them a good watering- they are fully saturated to the point of where I saw run off. I raised them up onto cement blocks, raised my light and crossed my fingers… 

i saw some signs of stuff happening on the leaves- probably deficiency’s of some sort and to tell you the truth that an area I fell short on this grow… I never tried to diagnose and fix the issue, I hoped that it just wouldn’t get too much worse and we’d make it to harvest- I believe everything should still make it there however I’m sure the yield may be affected… it’s less than ideal but I’ll still be proud to have something that I grew from seed and these are just areas to focus on so I can improve upon my base line which was this first grow.

It’s funny, silly me- after I accidentally topped that one plant- I just kept thinking how I messed up and convinced myself that unless I did something, they wouldn’t make it (judging by what I am seeing now, idk if that was true at all) so I had untied all the autos that I had done some very sloppy low stress training on… well they’re now growing pretty much straight up so there is a bit of concern that theyll just grow at a pace That would allow them to reach the light before we get home… hopefully not but we’ll see.

the photo just as I had thought is now the runt of the bunch however that thing is trained and super dense and once those autos are out of there- I plan on really continuing to train it and let that grow out- I would love to turn this little shrubbery into a little tree! A problem I’m running into there- is the fact that we have the plant training grow in august that I’d really like to participate in and there is nooo way this will be done in time sooo we’ll see about that one..

a fun issue I’m having is picking seeds for the next run- for the challenge I’d like to go photo but I have a little collection going and just don’t know what strains to go with- by that time I also hope to have that drip system all worked out and complete by then- these are exciting times!

anyway, here’s the latest:

Cannabis Grow 3E1FEDCE 3BC4 4A13 AABC 81B6310B71F1

Rotate Images
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2021 3:39 am
Page 1 / 2 Next