Forum

NYGC Soil-Peat: Super Soil the easy way

Page 1 / 2 Next
Gadgetman
Esteemed Member
Cannabis Fan
Completed Grows
NYGC Soil-Peat: Super Soil the easy way

I'm Planning a Super Soil run in Auto Pot XLs fed by a 35 gal tub of RO water. I'm using as much automation as possible. I have a few tricks I've learned along the way. This should be interesting.

I'm trying some new things.

I'm growing clover in the buckets getting my food web a head start.

I have an army (1000) of worms making my castings.

I'm growing in two tents, (4x4 and 4x2)

I'm using my own compost

Using Hydroton and Rice Hulls

Using air domes.

Yeah, this should be fun!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/21/2022 4:28 pm HappyCultivator and KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 4 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Okay, seeds are wet. Northern lights and OG Kush Autos, two each are in RO water in a cool/dark place. This start aint pretty but its going to be okay.

Cannabis Grow IMG 1968
Cannabis Grow IMG 1969

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2023 3:35 pm HappyCultivator and KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 1 comments

Okay, the girls got wet and the next day one of my seeds started showing a little tap root. Thats promising, I guess. I'll still give them a little more time until all are ready to place in there forever home.

Cannabis Grow IMG 1975
Cannabis Grow IMG 1974
Cannabis Grow IMG 1973

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2023 7:53 am BitterEnvy liked

Okay , look at this. I was trying to grow a cover crop of white clover. I covered the surface by  lightly brushing soil over the seeds. Its been about 10 days and I see only two clovers! I'm questioning my soil composition. I admit, I guessed the entire thing but I didnt think it was that bad.

3 bags of Great Lakes water only soil

1.5 bags of worm castings

4 gal of home made compost

1 bag of rice hulls and hydroton

A few cups of dry amendments (bat guano, langbeinite) I was missing some stuff on my last grow so  I elected to add them as a slow release this time.

It made 7 (almost) XL Auto Pots.

Now that I look at it, thats a lot. I think the slow release saves me. Plus I'm taking a big chunk out the middle and replacing it with plain seeding soil. They can hit the good stuff later. Next grow, I may be ready to create my own soil with a recipe. Maybe that guy with the one bag concentrate solution. Build-A-Soil, I had to look him up.

Cannabis Grow IMG 1984

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2023 8:20 am HappyCultivator and KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked

If you want to learn from my mistakes, I am apparently happy to provide this. service!

These beans got away from me. To get a positive outcome on this round, I am going to have to really babysit these girls.

FIRST: I left them in the paper towel too long. The tap root grew so long it grew into the paper towel. I had to tear the paper and plant it with the root. The shell even came off!

3 beans cracked. I put the other back in the paper towel. I also pulled out another seed and just put it straight in the soil.

I know I have very limited time with these Autos. I'm kinda behind the ball at this point. They look sad. Oh well, its not like I'm counting grams to pay rent, thank God. I screw up, I learn. My goal has always been to create a near perfect environment with near perfect numbers. I play around until I get there, then my goal is. to have as many near perfect days in a. row as possible.  

Those domes are cool, right. Just got them on Amazon.

Cannabis Grow IMG 1992
Cannabis Grow IMG 1991
Cannabis Grow IMG 1990
Cannabis Grow IMG 1989
Cannabis Grow IMG 1987

OH YEAH, I dug a nice hole in the middle of my pots and filled it with regular potting soil. I'll try to water in the middle. If I water toward the edge, the water will filter through the "hot soil" and transfer higher PPMs to my seedling.

GOT to be more careful. I'm having fun, though. Later, I'll show my irrigation system.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2023 4:22 pm HappyCultivator, BitterEnvy and KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 2 comments

Looky there. They came back to a nice healthy color.

Cannabis Grow IMG 1995

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2023 4:39 pm MaskedFarmer, HappyCultivator and KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 3 comments

LETS TALK IRRIGATION.

I'm running 4 AutoPot XLs in my 4x4 because quite frankly I suck at watering on a timely basis so I decided to eliminate this problem out of the equation. They give you this small reservoir with the kit. Me being Me, i changed the 1/4 inch hose to a 1/2 inch hose then stepping to the 1/2 hose close to the pot. Switch out the original res for a 35 gal Brute.

I'm running RO water but its in the utility room. I'm growing in the back bedroom. I must LOVE this plant because I crawled my Germaphobe Ass under the house and ran a hose from the utility room to the bedroom. I know some of you crafty types are thinking, "So What". But for me, I am so proud of this solution, I am still smiling. Here are some pics.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2024
Cannabis Grow IMG 2022
Cannabis Grow IMG 2025

So today, I connected my RO water to the grow room, turned on the Autopots and added some Yucca cause I'm slick like that. I also put the girls to sleep in a nice bed of barley straw.

Still pushing the Mars TS 600 for early veg (no dimmer in this setup). I'll switch to the TSW 2000 when I see a few more leaves. Thinking of getting that Viparspectra KS-5000, it fits my 4x4 better.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2026
Cannabis Grow IMG 2027

Thats really it for today.  Oh yeah, that tube under the light is my humidifier, gotta keep those babies happy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/17/2023 6:24 pm KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 1 comments

I have to calibrate my PH meter, I'm getting some weird numbers in the 5.0 and below range. Im sure thats not right, but I need to check. Some people don't believe in checking PH in Organic grows. I believe the soil is a great buffer for correcting PH however having  my water  in a good range would help the microbes do their microbe thang.

Had. some discoloration a few days ago, but. girls will be girls.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2084
Cannabis Grow IMG 2083

Did I say I dumped an entire bag of Yucca in my Res? From what I  read, 30 gal called for around 2 cups! Good thing Yucca can't hurt anything. That might be what had my PH off. We are here to learn, right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/27/2023 11:19 am KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 1 comments

I'm going to pop two more seeds for my 2x4 on the 1st. I'm growing a throwback to my first seed purchase. Predictive Breeding, I think it's Kyle the Breeder. I may start a couple "New England Rock Candy" seeds. My 4x4 has Autos, and these will be Photos. I may take my time and really train them. I'm not training these Autos much. I'll shave the legs and bend a couple branches but that's about it. My newest light (Mars Hydro TLS 2000) is in my 2x4 so I am looking forward to that run. 

By the way, when do you get a new light? I'm still rocking my Mars Hydro TSW 2000 pushing 300w. Its rated to flower a 3x3 but I have it in a 4x4. I saw Dr Coco is suggesting the Viparspectra KS-5000. I may be able to swing it, but I only have a few grows with my present light.

Until next time,  Growmies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/28/2023 6:31 pm

Let’s talk nutrients or rather teas since I am growing autos. Popular opinion is plant autos in their final pot. I hear a lot of talk about the first feeding being at the 30 day mark. I’m looking at my 6.6 gal pots and those small plants and I’m thinking no way. 
Sad thing is, growing organically if I see my plants lacking in nutrients my solution won’t help for a certain amount of time. I feed the soil, not the plant. 
My thinking is I’ll feed one tea around the time I see her in flower and keep up with top watering occasionally with recharge.  They are autos and only have so much time. Honestly, I think I could get by with what’s in the soil. That sounds like a great experiment.

Cannabis Grow 4BC297E5 AD78 4E5C BD3C 17840546203F
Cannabis Grow 15503369 9F6E 4E27 8F4F F46EFCA755CC
Cannabis Grow 82D624E3 ED1F 4E8A B83B 6ADE5782119D
Cannabis Grow E603C7E7 50E8 48F9 8101 D6A534E7FCFE

Thats my Cane Corso helper, Shadow. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/29/2023 10:15 am

Let’s talk nutrients or rather teas since I am growing autos. Popular opinion is plant autos in their final pot. I hear a lot of talk about the first feeding being at the 30 day mark. I’m looking at my 6.6 gal pots and those small plants and I’m thinking no way. 
Sad thing is, growing organically if I see my plants lacking in nutrients my solution won’t help for a certain amount of time. I feed the soil, not the plant. 
My thinking is I’ll feed one tea around the time I see her in flower and keep up with top watering occasionally with recharge.  They are autos and only have so much time. Honestly, I think I could get by with what’s in the soil. That sounds like a great experiment.

Cannabis Grow 4BC297E5 AD78 4E5C BD3C 17840546203F
Cannabis Grow 15503369 9F6E 4E27 8F4F F46EFCA755CC
Cannabis Grow 82D624E3 ED1F 4E8A B83B 6ADE5782119D
Cannabis Grow E603C7E7 50E8 48F9 8101 D6A534E7FCFE

Thats my Cane Corso helper, Shadow. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/29/2023 10:15 am KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 2 comments
Gadgetman
Esteemed Member
Cannabis Fan
Completed Grows

SOIL TALK

My first Super Soil grow was with Great Lakes Water Only Soil. I loved the simplicity of water only, although there really is no such thing. I mean, you gotta add something at sometime if you want the best results in my experience.

My first grow was with the General Hydroponics 3 part stuff. Okay, I get obsessed at times. I bought the entire line! I created a spreadsheet which calculated the amounts of each liquid using the size of the reservoir and the stage the plant was in. I had beakers and measuring cups and was seriously looking at that bluelab Controller with the pumps where you can program your solution and it pumps it and checks it and creates a spreadsheet. DAMN I LOVE GADGETS!!! I did get a Bluelab Guardian to monitor my reservoir. My PH, PPMs/EC and Temp is always a glance away. 

I want simplicity now. I got tired of throwing away my old super soil. It seems such a waste. I created a mix that should be good. The base is Great Lakes Water only. I added earthworm castings, a variety of Down to Earth amendments and my own compost. My compost is really nice, dark, great smelling soil. It did have a few critters in it but I left them in. What the hell, we are here to learn. I just hope I didn't transport a nest of  thrips. I saw what the kids call a "rolly polly", crawling in the straw. I also have a crap ton of Hydroton and rice hulls. Plus, a handful of vermiculite at the bottom. 

Thanks for reading my evening Indica rantings.

Peace and grow grease to all!

Cannabis Grow IMG 1894

I leave you with Jackson, Samual L. the "L" stands for  Lil Mosey. He is never in a hurry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/30/2023 6:11 pm HappyCultivator and KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
+ Show 2 comments

The girls are doing well. The worry about how leggy they started is long gone. I didn't take a before pic but here is one after I beat them up a little. I've bent them all over and tightened them down almost everyday. I'm going to keep tying branches down for all but one. I have a runt that I'm going to leave alone.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2142
Cannabis Grow IMG 2143

I have two newbies (New England Rock Candy from Kyle the Breeder). I was part of his test group awhile. back. These should be interesting.

FREAK!!! FREAK!!! FREAK!!! What the hell is this? I'm keeping an eye on this one. Its just one leaf. Wouldn't it be cool if I got a half/half bud?

Cannabis Grow IMG 2141

HUMIDIFIERS

I use automation for humidification (actually for everything I can hence the name Gadgetman. Inkbirds are King! So I needed a "dumb" Hum. One that comes on when electricity is turned on. The blue one is my first. It puts out good smoke but it has a small light for the on switch. Tape fixes that. It also has a night light which is not used obviously. No shade, its good and cheap. But I came across this reptile humidifier. Its top fed, no need to take it apart to add water. It came with two long hoses and a split to go in two different areas. I just use one. I highly recommend this one.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2150
Cannabis Grow IMG 2149
Cannabis Grow IMG 2148

FAN

The search for a good fan is ongoing. I hear a few contenders but this one right here. This fan right here! This MF is NICE! Its a bigger fan so I mounted it on a board and zip tied the board to the top of the tent. The fan is remote controlled with several speeds and oscillation. It has a random feature that varies the fan speed and speed of oscillation is such a way that pushes every in different directions. Keeps the girls guessing on which way the breeze is coming.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2147

If you have bug problems, the sticky traps are no joke!

Cannabis Grow IMG 2146

Here my 2x4 tent ready for the next project. The seeds got wet on Feb 1.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2145

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2023 7:09 am Theschoolofcrop liked
+ Show 1 comments

I gave the girls a good but gentle defoliation and tie down. I've used other methods but i've settled on tying green plant ribbon to the far end of the branch to get a good bend and using a small binder clip to secure the other end to the lip of the pot.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2160
Cannabis Grow IMG 2159

They bounced back in record time. Then I gave them a nice leaf spray with some RO water containing a bit of recharge and some "juice" from my worm bin.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2163
Cannabis Grow IMG 2165

I've been watering with plain RO water from the beginning. I'm going to make a Tea and feed it on day 47. Right now, I've cut off the water source until then. 

Later Growers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/13/2023 11:38 am KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO and HappyCultivator liked
+ Show 1 comments

Okay, its been a month and a half with just water in my 6.6 gal autopots. Time to add some nutes before they start looking sick. I waited so long because I really don't think they used all the nutes in that "battery" (thinking of your soil as the battery of the operation helps keep in mind your limitations). Mine needs a Recharge (no pun intended referring to the product Recharge which does just what I need right now).

My tea begins with around 4 gallons of RO water. I used Down To Earth Bat guano, Sea bird guano, Alfalfa Meal, Roots Organic Uprising Bloom, Unsulfured Molasses and FRESH earth worm castings from my own vermiculture bin.

Cannabis Grow IMG 2172
Cannabis Grow IMG 2171
Cannabis Grow IMG 2170

I got the basis of this formula from Detroit Tommy of Great Lakes Water only Soil. I added some things. You need a BAAP (Big Ass Air Pump) to get good results and don't forget those big air stones. 

Through research, I use a special bag made for brewing teas. Using 4 airstones, I place all ingredients except the molasses in the bag along with one airstone. That really gets things worked up.

I stopped the auto watering about 3 days ago. There is no wilting yet, but I wont be feeding the tea until 30 hours.

So I guess thats it. I just got back from the dispo. You cant grow without smoking. I'm so tired of buying! 

Please Please Please make SURE your pump is well above the height of your bucket. I killed a pump by turning off the power and leaving the room. The tea backed up into the pump and flipped my breaker! Pump in garbage, amazon reorder.

Peace and Growers Grease

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/16/2023 11:29 am KAPT_SAVE_Da_HO liked
Page 1 / 2 Next