SAFC Misfits: First outdoor grow
I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity to try my hand at outdoor growing. I have a pack of seeds I got for free at a small cannabis cup awards ceremony (not as a prize). I had to laugh - they are labeled "PLD" which the guy told mme stands for "Pretty Little Disaster." Apparently there was an incident with an unidentified male plant turning an entire crop lol. A bunch of different strains, so a mystery as to which ones I have. But hey, that's part of the fun, right? I have 4 seeds labeled as autoflower regular, so I'll have to be vigilant in not creating my own PLD lol. I'm looking at possibly getting a pop up greenhouse to help with pest issues, but we'll see. For now, I'll be dropping all 4 seeds tomorrow and hoping for the best!
We have tails! Well, 3/4 do, anyway. The 4th looks like it is barely starting to peep from the very end of the shell, so runt of the litter perhaps. But sometimes those outshine the rest!
The three that have nice tails already have been put into peat pellets, and placed under a glass cookie jar lid over a large ramikin. It's not airtight, so gases can still be exchanged, but it will serve as sort of a terrarium to get them going. They are under a 20W Mogobe seedling bulb that I won in the last SAFC challenge giveaways, so that feels fitting. I did not put it on a timer, letting it run 24/7 to keep the warmth consistent. It's raining and thunderstorming here, so not putting these babies outside in all that mess. We'll get them going indoors and introduce them to nature when it's safe(r). 😉
The 4th seed is staying in her damp paper towel home and being given extra time to develop. She can set the pace, and I'll be there when she's ready!
OK, so, what had happened was....
One of the seedlings made it above ground, and then started curling up and yellowing. It was hard to get a good picture, because she's curled in so much she looks 3-4 days younger. I haven't 100% given up on her yet, but she is currently filed under "missing, presumed dead."
The 4th seedling, the runt, seemed to be stuck and unable to get above ground for over 2 days. I was trying to help her, and beheaded her by accident. Oops.
So I went from 4 to 2, and would be OK with that, but since they are regular seeds and with less plants there is greater risk of having no females...I dropped back and punted. I had some regular Lilac Diesel autoflower seeds, so I dropped 2 of those in water yesterday and transferred them to a damp paper towel this morning. So they'll only be a week behind, and the odds of having at least a couple of females is back to where it was.
Last but not least, I transplanted the 2 surviving babies into 1 gallon airpots. I am lightly feeding with Fox Farms Big Bloom (bat and worm poo). I'm going to take them upstairs into my 2X2 AC Infinity veg tent with a Spider Farmer SF-1000 and a small fan. It will be a tiny bit crowded until I can either get the seedlings outside or get my Fruity Pebbles (named Bam Bam) into the flower tent. But those Hazy kush girls are still taking up almost the whole 4X4!
Anyway, onwards and upwards!
The lilac diesel seeds have been planted in their peat pellets and are enjoying the same accommodations their older sisters did under the seedling bulb.
Today we finally have sun and decent temperatures, so the original girls are enjoying some sunbathing. They are in a monarch butterfly habit I bought from Amazon. Perfect amount of space for 2 more 1 gallon pots when the lilacs are ready. Nice handle on top so I can easily move them for maximum sun, and to relocate back indoors in the evenings.
Once I know how many females I have, I'll decide how to protect them in 5 gallon pots.
The original two are doing well as you can see. Starting to feed following the Fox Farms nute line chart. I transplanted the baby lilac wizard (I keep calling it lilac diesel, but the package says otherwise) today. The other one still hasn't come up, and if she doesn't by tomorrow I'll chuck it into the yard and call it a day. Hopefully I'll get at least one female from the group.
Checking in! As you can see, they continue to progress. The taller 2 are from the PLD batch and the little one is lilac wizard and a week younger. Feeding them all at the Fox Farms week 2 rate. Still bringing them inside at night as it's quite chilly, and moving them around during the day for the best sunlight. I think they like their little house, and I haven't seen a single pest ot bite mark so far (knock wood).
Not a whole lot going on other than growth. Still no signs of sex. My tallest baby is starting to hit the top of the habitat, but I don't want to transplant until I know for sure what the sex is. Hopefully soon! I was going to try a little LST with her to buy myself more time, but as I was gently bending the stem it cracked a bit and I stopped immediately. Hoping we're good to go, or that balls pop out and it doesn't matter lol.
Sorry I've been MIA for a hot minute! I'm very sad to report that both of the original PLD plants were male and have been dispatched to the garden in the sky. The lilac wizard is doing well, fingers crossed for a girl! She's getting a little tall for the current habitat, so I used a clip to buy myself a little time until the gender reveal party lol.
Well, friends- the odds were not in my favor this time. All boys. Best of luck to everyone else's grow! I still have 4 photos in various stages so it's all good. Catch y'all for the next challenge hopefully!