Forum

PTGC Misfit: Pure Power Plant Pity Party!

Page 1 / 2 Next
berkshirebud
Reputable Member CfC Advisor
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
PTGC Misfit: Pure Power Plant Pity Party!

Pure Power Plant from MSNL. Regular Seeds. Absolutely no idea how I am going to train this, but I will figure it out as I go!

I was originally going to do the Party Cup as part of my Toppers Auto White Widow grow,  but had some germination problems, and only two made it to seedlings. So, today I dropped a couple of regular Pure Power Plant seeds in to soak.

With luck, one or both will germinate and make it to seedlings. Whatever makes it is going into one party cup. Yes, that's right. I may end up with TWO seedlings in one party cup. Then, I will veg them until October 1st,  training them somehow. After the flip, we'll see what I get when the pre-flowers show up. 

I could end up with one female (keep), two  females (bonus!), a  male and a female  (chop the male, keep the  female), one or two males (oh no! cross that bridge if I get to it), or potentially none.

I  also will be receiving a clone at some point, using @Prof-Knows-It-All new clone mailer. If it survives the  trip, I'll probably grow it in the same tent as the PPPs.

I must be insane.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2020 10:28 am Prof-Knows-It-All, smotpoker and Rootz369 liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
Party Cup Experiments

Time to figure out my party cup. My first though was to use a soldering iron to push  in some little divots, like an airpot.  Unfortunately, the material party cups are made out of doesn't seem to get soft. It is either hard, or it disappears once the heat is high enough. So, I used my soldering iron to poke a bunch of holes in a party cup and put it in the cup holder.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7757

That's not going to work. These cheap store-brand party cups I bought just bend and crush in the cup holder. Okay, let's cut the top and bottom off of one and use it  as  a sleeve  inside a second one to make it stronger, and  then poke more holes in it.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7758

That's better. Once it is filled with coco and water, it will be even sturdier. Oh, but where is the outflow going to go? Eventually, I'll have to make a saucer with drain tube that goes down to the main drain pan, but in the meantime,  how about this?  I'll have to manually empty it, but that'll do for the start. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7759

Next up, Pity Party Beer Can Hat. Also known as the auto-fertigation system.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2020 2:37 pm smotpoker liked
+ Show 1 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
I spy with my little eye...

Cannabis Grow IMG 7781

...a seed starting to sprout! She's a bit slow, but that is just fine. Meanwhile, not even a crack from the second seed, but it is  still in the damp paper towel, so I still have hope. I'm saying "she" as a form of sympathetic magic. Although these are regular seeds, I am willing this one to be female!

Coco is all prepped, so I can move her into the party cup once her tap root makes it out the bottom of the starting pellet.

Speaking of the Party Cup, shipping was delayed on the P5 auto-fertigation system, so it will be here on Tuesday. Still trying to come up with a solution for the auto-drain system. I have an idea, but I am still looking to see if I have the parts around the house before I buy anything else.

As for training, here are just a few of my thoughts for different approaches:

1. Au naturel. No training, just grow as nature intended. But in a plastic party cup in a tent...
  2. Mini-cross. Grow to 4 nodes, top back to 3rd node, grow branches from 2nd and 3rd nodes. Grow 4 colas.
  3. USD. No, not U.S. Dollar, upside-down. I figured out a way to make this work.
  4. Trailer Trash. Loads of LST so the branches trail downward like a weeping willow. Probably not enough time for this.
  5. Spike. Remove all branches and force all growth into the apical stem.

Misfit enough for you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2020 2:46 pm CrackBabies liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Day 5, cotyledons are starting to open and photosynthesize! She has officially graduated from sprout to seedling.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7801

And today, Day 6, Pure Power Plant shows her Power! First true leaves are starting to emerge. Before long, it will be time to move her into the P5 Cup. Time to check the mail and see if the P5 Auto-Fertigation System was delivered.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7804

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 10:44 am
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
P5 Auto-Fertigation System

I may need to shorten up the tubing a bit, but the P5 AFS  (Pure Power Plant Pity Party Auto-Fertigation System) is ready for action, as soon as Pretty Pity is ready for the cup.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7855

Also, four clones showed up in the mail. All the new girls are now in the 120x60 (4x2) tent, each  with their own environmental needs. The clones are in the humidity dome at  95%, but not on the heating mat, with a 15W blurple which I  will move down as they acclimate. The white widows are outside the dome at about 75% humidity and 24°, with a 45 watt blurple now up to full.  Penny Pretty is in the humidity dome on the heating mat at 28° until I pot her up. She is just getting  side light from the two blurples for now. I took the driver off the SP250 and mounted it outside the tent so I can dim it down. Once everyone is acclimated, I'll pull the blurples out and fire up the SP250!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7859

If I manage to keep all four clones alive,  I will probably end up moving the clones and Patty into the 100x100 (3x3) tent with the FC3000 (when it arrives), and grow the two white widows in the 120x60 with the SP250. This also means I will have to build another auto-fertigation and drain system for the clones, and buy another fan. It's a good thing my wife loves me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 7:34 pm
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
The mystery clones are A-OK.

I realized that while @Prof-knows-it-all said this strain is one that everyone will want to grow, I never actually wrote  down what the strain is that is now growing in my tent! Maybe he will stop in here and let us know.  In any case, they recovered nicely overnight from my shocking mistreatment of them.  A night of 99% RH brought them right back. I've been slowly opening the vents all day, and they are now down to 93% and still doing fine. I want to  get them acclimated down to 75%  and bright light as soon as possible before some nasty mold spore decides to do blow in and so I can fire up the SP250. Top vents are now completely open on the humidity dome, and I've started opening the dome a slit to bring that RH down.

(Apologies for the blurple tint. I need to rearrange my power strips so I can actually reach them without crawling on my belly and reaching under the tent.)

Cannabis Grow IMG 7871

Meanwhile, the Pure Power Plant, Penny Pretty, is none the worse for that night of 99% RH in the dome with the clone sisters. I'm acclimating her as fast as possible too for the same reasons. I keep forgetting to check for roots out the bottom, but I have to believe she is probably ready for her big move to the Party Cup. I will check this afternoon and get her potted up.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7872

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2020 9:33 am Prof-Knows-It-All liked
+ Show 2 comments
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Penny is looking good, with solid first leaves, and dealing well with  life outside the humidity dome. Still no roots out of the starter pellet yet, but I'm expecting it any day. Can't wait to move her into her party cup!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7911

The  UK Cheese clones are completely acclimated. Tomorrow I will turn on the SP250 and start the clones on early veg nutes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2020 6:07 pm Prof-Knows-It-All liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

SP250 dimmed a bit, and hanging just over a meter above the clones. I'll move it down closer over the next few days, then ramp the brightness back up. I need a controller for my humidifier. Off it gets too dry, on low  it gets too moist. Also,  have to  take apart the AC Infinity  controller and cut the wire for the gosh-darned beeper.

And Biker Gnome better not get too comfy in that crow's nest.  Penny Pretty will eventually put some seeds out the  bottom of  that  starting pellet and  be transplanted to her party cup.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7923

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 9:19 pm smotpoker and Prof-Knows-It-All liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Princess Penny Pretty is in the Party Cup! She finally grew some roots out of the  starting pellet, so I gave them a good coating of Mykos inoculant and transplanted her into the party cup, where she will reside until harvest.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7933

She hasn't kicked Biker Gnome off his perch yet, because I want to give her a bit of time to get used to the new cup. Also, I still need to go shopping to finish the auto-drain system before she can ascend to her throne. UK Cheese clones are doing great, and everybody is responding well to the better light.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7937

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/13/2020 10:54 am Prof-Knows-It-All liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Started the auto-fertigation system at the end of  Day 11. Decided that using the glass jar for a drain system was good enough for now. It lets me easily see how much run off there has been, and lets me collect some for measurement before dumping it.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7938 (1)

The next day, the auto-fertigation system has been working great. Outflow EC is below input, though I expect that to come up slowly.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7973

Day 13, and the leaves are looking a bit blotchy. I don't know if this is a nutrient problem, a problem with the saturated coco from drip irrigation, or just something about the strain, which I have never grown before. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 8007

Today, everyone is looking good, and the PPP is less blotchy. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 8034

The UK Cheese clones seem to have fully developed their roots, and they are coming out the holes. So, I topped all 4 clones. Tomorrow night, I will pot them up  into their brand new air-pots.

Cannabis Grow image 1600383478335 (1)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/17/2020 7:34 pm smotpoker and Prof-Knows-It-All liked
+ Show 1 comments
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
Potting up the party guests

Princess is still looking a bit pale and blotchy, and it seems to be slowing her growth. At this point, I am suspecting that what I am seeing is a magnesium deficiency. Maybe when I planted her, I accidentally grabbed coco  from the not yet rinsed and re-buffered tote instead of the  ready-to-go tote. I don't think I did, but I have been known to be forgetful. Now,  what was I saying?

Cannabis Grow IMG 8089

The day after that picture, her third node is just about grown, so today I will give her pot a good dose of Ca-Mg water, and then switch her to early veg nutrients.

Meanwhile, the UK Cheese party guests have filled their party cups with roots.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8084

So, I potted them up to their brand new 8.8 liter Air-pots. These are really cool, and this is the first time I have used them. I can't wait to see how they grow.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8097

As you can see, the 120x60 (4x2) tent is starting to get full with all these plants. The FC3000 should be arriving here next week,  so this weekend I have to outfit the 100x100 (3x3) tent and get it ready. Tent is in hand, fan and hydro halos are ordered, I just need to build a new table to raise it up and pick up a 3x3 drain pan at the hydro store.

Off to buy some lumber and the drain pan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/19/2020 8:27 am CrackBabies, smotpoker and Prof-Knows-It-All liked
+ Show 2 comments
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows
Let the training begin.

I always forget how busy this part of the grow is. Every day there is something to do. 

First our party cup plant. As you can see from these pictures showing the improvement from Day 19 to 20, her new growth is finally starting to looking less mottled. I really have not idea what is going on, but maybe my extra dose of CaMg solution  did it or maybe she just grew out of it. I have no idea if she will be "ready" to flip on 10/1,  but I've badly abused and rushed plants before, and they turned out just fine! So I'm pretty confident that in 9 days she  will be a different plant.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8118
Cannabis Grow IMG 8141

So, looking at the UK Cheese clones, UKC1, UKC2, and UKC3 seem to each  have four reasonably spaced alternating branches, that I think I can train as a cross. UKC3's are close to being opposite. I prune off lower branches (leaving the leaf at the base of each branch). I have to not only LST the upper branches down to reduce their apical dominance, but also have to train some of the branches side to side to get them spaced evenly around the plant. UKC3 has three evenly spaced branches, so I train them out, pulling the top one down to the level of the others.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8126
Cannabis Grow IMG 8127
Cannabis Grow IMG 8125

After a day, they are all recovered and extending in length, so I take the opportunity to train the upper branches down a bit lower.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8144

As I keep training these outward, I will have 3 or 4 well-spaced main branches on each plant. I think I should have enough time before flip to top each one once more, Depending on where I top them, and how many new branches I leave, I could have anywhere from 6 to 12 to 16 colas per plant. I'm leaning towards keeping them small, as I will have 4 plants plus the party cup in a 100x100-cm tent, but I could change my mind. This is a fun experiment, and I have no expectations. I just want to play with different training methods and see what works and  what doesn't.

Oh. And the hydro store was out of 3x3 drain pans, so I put off building the table and assembling the tent for a week until  they can get another one in stock. They say it should be here tomorrow. I have the AC Infinity  Cloudline T6 in hand and the halos should be here shortly. I think I may have figured out a better auto-pumping  drain solution, but as usual, the difficulty is the drain fitting. If my idea works, this is going to be so much better than a bucket with a sump pump!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/22/2020 7:27 pm Prof-Knows-It-All liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Well, the rules say that the roots have to be contained in the party cup. Try telling that to the Pure Power Plant Party Princess!

Cannabis Grow IMG 8156

So, the only solution is root pruning.  I have a feeling, I'm going to be doing this all the time now.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8157

I switched her to mid-veg nutrients, and she seems to be growing great. It is time to decide how to train her, and I just can't make up my mind. At this point, I am down to:

1. Au naturel. She is pretty stressed as it is, growing in that little party cup and having her roots pruned every time they grow out  of the holes. So maybe no training at all.
  2. Mini-cross. She has 4 full nodes and a fifth  starting, so I could top her and do a cross with nodes 2+3 or 3+4. But I am flipping in 5 days. Not sure if there is enough time, but maybe.
  3. Spike. Given her tiny size and tiny container, maybe I should put all of her growth into a single cola, by pruning off all the lower branches and just leaving the apical stem.

Since she will be growing in the new 100x100-cm tent with FOUR other plants, It is going to be a bit tight for space, so maybe the spike is the best? I don't know. What do you think?

Cannabis Grow IMG 8201

I "topped" the UK Cheese party guests for the second time. This is my first time trying a modified cross-training on clones, but it seems to be working out pretty well. Since they are clones, they have an alternate branching pattern, instead of the opposite branching that plants grown from seed have until the flip. I counted new alternating branchlets on each branch until I had 3-5, then cut the growing tip on the end of the branch just beyond there. Once they have a bit more length, and I have moved the plants into their new tent, I'll prune out branches that are heading in the wrong direction (like down).

Cannabis Grow IMG 8200

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/25/2020 6:39 pm Prof-Knows-It-All liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Well, I still haven't figured out exactly how I'll be training my Misfit party cup princess, but she is looking so pretty.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8262

Perhaps she needs a haircut.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8268

I'll probably just keep doing whatever feels like it needs to be done. I expect to prune out some lower branches soon.

The UK Cheese clones are partying hard.  I remembered that there were a couple of branches that needed to have their  ends pruned ("second topping"), so I took care of that and did a bit more LST to bring the branches all  to the about the same level. It is not as difficult doing that with  clones as I thought it would be, but that may be because the inter-"nodal" spacing is pretty tight on these plants.

Cannabis Grow IMG 8267 (1)

Biker Gnome is not only keeping an eye out on everyone, he is also using his hat to keep the crappy cheap clip fan from sliding down the tent pole.

Flip Day is coming soon, and I have to get these girls into their own tent. The FC3000 light is here, the 100x100-cm tent is  setup, the AC Infinity Cloudline T6 is hung. I thought I had taken stills when I was making footage for the unboxing  video  (which  I  also have to finish), but apparently I didn't. Soon!

I have two days now to:

1. Build a tent stand to raise it off the floor.
  2. Install my self-drain system, with a condensate pump to pump  the outflow up to the ceiling, across the room, and out the window. 
  3. Install the exhaust duct from the tent to the window.
  4. Move the plants.

After that, I'll setup the auto-fertigation system!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/28/2020 5:46 pm Prof-Knows-It-All liked
berkshirebud
Proven Grower
Completed Grows

Tent stand built. Mars Hydro FC3000 light and AC Infinity Cloudline T6 fan installed. 6" duct run across the ceiling to the window. Drain table installed with drain to a condensate pump. Party plants are in their new home, and lights are flipped to 12 hours on and 12 hours off. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 8302

This weekend I will assemble the auto-fertigation system.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2020 6:28 pm CelticCross, OCGrower76, Prof-Knows-It-All and 1 people liked
Page 1 / 2 Next