PTGC Misfit: Night Queen- Pheno hunt
I am pheno hunting a couple of feminized Night Queens from Dutch Passions. I already grew one from seed that I really enjoyed, so I am going to see which of these I like more. I started 6 clones on Aug 9th. From what I have seen of the plant growth, I plan to LST mostly and top once or twice, until I have filled the flower tent out, and then scrog net to help support the branches later. Just have to wait on the plants already flowering in there.
Been taking some time the last few days, to try to figure out why all of the #2 clones have sprouted roots, and not one of the #1 clones have. I am pretty sure I didn't trim them quite enough. The #1 clones all still have a little more foliage than the #2 clones. Since I am trying to get a pheno hunt out of these plants, it presents me with some decisions to make in the next few days. I am most likely going to end up giving them all a couple extra weeks in the bucket, after I clean the bucket and refresh the water. I might give the #1's a slight trim since they've been in there a while, and I think the extra foliage is the issue anyways. If none of the #1 clones root out, I am probably just going to run what I can, but who knows, I could decide to focus on the original goal of pheno hunting them.
I went ahead and gave those #1 clones that trim I was talking about. Keeping my fingers crossed they can catch up on rooting in time to transplant next weekend. Otherwise I am just going to roll with it, and run what I can for this cycle, and try to fix my cloning next time, so I can try to finish my pheno hunt. Luckily the environment has been less of an issue, with the higher RH from the rain the last few days.
Finally had a root sprout from one of the #1 clones (Yay). I have got my fingers crossed for transplanting 5 of them next Sunday. I am gonna have to give something I tried on my first successful cloning attempt another try, (they're from the Northern Lights currently in my flower tent) because I did like the root structure better on them.
The 2nd #1 clone sprouted a root. I have a feeling I am only going to get the 5. Which is fine, because I will have a single Northern Lights I can throw in, to get the tent filled out a little more quickly.
Finally got the clones transplanted into some starter pots. I am definitely not going to hit the Oct 1st flip date, but oh well, still going to finish out this journal. The humidity issues have corrected themselves, thanks to the rain lately.
Slightly surprised to say that all 5 of the Night Queen clones made it through transplanting. One of the #2 clones is going to get ejected though, it had some damage even before transplanting. On the bright side of things, I will thin it to 2/2 of each pheno, so I will be able to get a better comparison of harvests doing more of a sea of green style, after I bush them out with some LST and topping.
Since I had figured out there was no way to get these plants into flower in time, I had been keeping the mothers shaggy, so they could soak up some extra light, but they reallly needed a trim, so the clones are getting more light now. I am going to change my strategy a little and the mothers are going to end up getting flowered, so I can free up some space a little more quickly. I had wanted to keep the mother for this pheno hunt from seed, but I really don't have the room for my aspirations yet. Still going to be several weeks out though.