PTGC Mainlines: Headband haze mainline
Hi! I'm back and this is my second indoor run. Still have some modification to do to the tent, but it is a 2x2x4 cheapo tent from Amazon. I'll be running the viparspecta 1500, a couple of fans, 4in exhaust, and a humidifier when needed. This will all be in a black 3 or 5 gallon bucket, dwc.
So, when out in the yard a few weeks back, checking my outdoor plants over (first outdoor grow), I cut a branch off from really low on one of the plants. Just for fun, I cut a section out of the middle of that branch, about 4 or 5 inches long and dropped it on a mason jar of water on a window sill. Guess what? It rooted. No hormones, no honey ect. Just water. I was sort of expecting this because I remember my grandmother doing this to all sorts of plants when I was little, but with all the things I've been reading lately, this shouldn't be possible lol. Anyway, it was in the jar with plain well water from the tap, suspended from 2 leaves. After a couple weeks, I carefully pulled her out and threaded her roots through a net cup that fits the jar, loaded with clay pellets, and dropped on a small airstone. I've filled the jar up to the net cup and let her go, still sitting on the kitchen window sill. Crazy how fast the roots grow.
Now Im planning to modify the tent. I noticed with my last grow that the tent has some pretty serious height issues lol. Wayyy to short. Besides having to crawl around on my knees to mess with anything, it's just a pain. Lifting up buckets of water from awkward positions, meh. So I've put the tent on a 2 ft stand I found at a free pile. I plan on cutting a hole smaller than the rim of the bucket and a matching hole on the floor of the grow tent to give me more vertical height inside the tent. Possibly put a drain cock on the bottom of the bucket to make water changes easier. We will see how diy I'm feeling. 😉
Also, I'm still unclear exactally where to continue topping this girl. I'm wanting to try manifolding her to 8 tops. It started as a topped clone because I took the clone from the middle of a branch. I sort of know what the end should look like, but bear with me please. When it's this small, I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around what should be cut and what to the down lol.
Still hanging in there, no problems that I can see yet.
Still need to mod the tent floor, hopefully have time this weekend lol. This time of year gets pretty crazy around the house, getting ready for the rainy season. But anyway, the topped sites are growing pretty fast and I think I'll be able to top again soon. I'm set the light a little more aggressive this run early on and checking often to see if it's too much, but she seems to be responding well.
I realize a clone isn't the best option for manifold training, but I'm going to do it anyway. Next time I'll start a seed. I was just impressed that the clone was so easy to do so I'm running with it. Besides, this seems like very good experience for me. I have an outdoor grow going, but it feels pretty boring and this is much more interactive hahahah. Like having a fishtank.
Ok, I did a water change last night. I dumped the old water and cleaned out the bucket. Filled with 4 gallons of water. There is a well where I live and the water is wonderful. It's natural ppm is about 120. I add maxigro powder until it reaches around 1k or 1.2k. I'm not to particular about the number as long as it's in between that range. Usually 1 tsp per gallon gets me there. Then I check the pH. My water is 7 and after reaching that 1k mark it's usually around 6.5. I add a few drops of pH down to lower to 5.5 to 6.0. again, I'm not particular about it as long as it it's in that area. I've read the plants likes different point ls of pH to help absorb nutrients. Then, even though I'm on a well and my water has minerals in it, I add about a tsp of cal mag. After all this *whew* I take it back to the tent and place the airstone in the bucket and the plant back in there too! Ok, next is the light. And this seems to be one of the most difficult things to do. I had troubles with it my first run, and now I use a simple rule. I use a lux meter on my phone. An app. And at the top of the canopy I'll measure to 40k to 42k lux. I'm not sure this will work for all phones or even all lights since they aren't all the same, but it has been working for me. As the plant gets stronger I will increase this value. I'm not sure what the max is yet, but at 40 to 42 I'm sure the entire grow would be ok, besides seedling stages.
I've topped a final time now (I think) and the roots are really growing well now. She wants to take off. Over the weekend there has been alot of growth.
Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take pics before I topped. 😩