Forum

GDP1981’s 2019 Outdoor Coco Grow

GrandDaddyPurple1981
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows

Happy 420 everyone! It’s a great day to start germinating some seeds for the upcoming outdoor season!

It will be the first season that us Canadians can legally grow up to four plants outdoors. I’ve grown once outdoors previously using a medical license. I struggled to dial in nutrients and pH in ProMix, so this time I’m going to use coco / perlite.

I plan to grow the following feminized photoperiod strains:

Hollands Hope by Dutch Passion

This is my “insurance policy” strain. It’s been specifically bred to withstand cold, wet fall conditions in the Netherlands and Northern Europe. Short of the apocalypse, I know she’ll survive anything Mother Nature throws her way. Last year I nutrient burned her, underfed her, left her alone for five days while on vacation, had the wind blow her over several times and she still yielded over 4oz of decent bud. 

Cinderella 99 x Blueberry x Fast by Seedsman

I’ve recently fallen in love with Blueberry strains. The smell and medical effects just hit that sweet spot for me. I knew I had to try growing a Blueberry, but required something that would finish earlier than most. This strain has been crossed with a Fast plant and is supposed to flower in just 6-7 weeks.

Bubba Kush 2.0 by Humboldt Seed Organization

I love the classic kushy heavy knock out couch-lock of a good Bubba Kush in the evening. This version from HSO has been bred to deliver that in a faster flowering form.

Northern Lights by Sensi

A classic Indica strain that’s supposed to be forgiving for new growers. I have always wanted to try growing this strain. It should also finish earlier than most strains outdoors. The breeder says it does best in more temperate “Mediterranean” climates, but I’m going to give it a try up a little further north.

My setup:

All plants will get a head start in a 2x2 tent under a 135W quantum board LED. After last frost (mid May), I’ll move them outdoors into their final homes in 10 gallon fabric smart pots.

I’m hoping to assemble an automated outdoor drip fertigation system. My rough plan is to have a 50 gallon reservoir, (probably a rain barrel) aerated with an air pump and air stones. A submersible pump in the reservoir will push nutrient solution to the four plants to 9” hydro drip rings at least 5x daily to keep the coco from drying out.

My city’s tap water isn’t great, with a starting EC of over 300. While the plants are seedlings in the tent, I’ll be using distilled water, but outdoors it will be tap water with reduced amounts of CalMag. I plan to use General Hydroponics liquid three-part Flora Series.

My four seeds went into distilled water for soaking this morning. I will move them into damp paper towels later today.

I’m still a new grower, so any questions or comments on my grow journal are always welcome. I want to learn as much as possible.

Grower love!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/20/2019 11:21 am

Hey, man. How did that turn out? I am very curious about coco outdoor.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/26/2020 11:45 am