Forum

NYGC-Dr Coco’s Blueberry Grow  

Page 2 / 6 Prev Next

Day 5 (Hour 112)

I scuffed and dropped the second BB CBD seed into the cup of water.

Damn.

This second seed was paler and less visually appealing than the first, so it has that - um - going for it. Still no root from the jiffy, so I am not in a huge rush to put her into coco. It will complicate things somewhat as I'll need to get the larger humidity dome set up and that takes up more room on my little table.

I'll post pictures when I finally do put the Kush into her seedling bag later tonight.

So, what do you think??? Which CBD seed (if any) will pop first? The original good looking seed that has been wet for almost 5 days now, or the paler skinnier and scuffed replacement that dropped 112 hours later?

Let's Grow Together
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 2:55 pm Juiceman, TerribleTerrapin, Kushman and 1 people liked
+ Show 4 comments
KosherOnly
Esteemed Member
Cannabis Fan

I hope for the best Dr-Coco. Sucks that your two plants won't start together. Who know's maybe the CBD is a vigorous one? I just checked my seed as and it's been in the pyrex for about 24 hours and the paper towel stayed very wet. Hopefully this one pulls through in a day or two. Fingers crossed!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 10:17 pm Trichomefarmer and Kushman liked

End of Day 5 

LMAO The ugly little Blueberry CBD seed cracked and showed me her tail  ? after only 8 hours in a cup of warm water. I poured her out into a fresh paper towel and sealed her up in the pyrex. She is on a mission to catch her Kush sister!  ?  All is right with the world...

Speaking of whom, the little Kush is in her seedling bag with coco. I took this picture just before placing her in the large humidity dome, which she gets all to herself for a day or two.

DSC 1376crop

Let's Grow Together
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2019 10:18 pm Juiceman, Trichomefarmer, ElTee3 and 5 people liked
+ Show 11 comments
Longster
Trusted Member
Cannabis Fan
My New Year's Grow Challenge

NYGC-Rainbow driver/187/Mandarin Z

Rainbow Driver/187/Mandarin Zkittles

ill wait one more day.. I popped an extra seed because i thought one of them was struggling. Turns out she coming through. What do i do with the new seeds .. ahhhhhh. lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2019 9:04 pm TerribleTerrapin and Dr Coco liked
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

I apologize again for my absence... I intend to keep a much more updated journal than I have been able to lately, but will make up for that going forward  ? 

There are two separate stories unfolding for me on this grow, so I will split them into separate posts. This first post will be focused on the the Blueberry Kush which was one of two seeds that I dropped on January 1, but was the only one to germinate... More on that second plant in the next post.

So, my last picture was on day 5 and from there until day 8 the little Kush mainly worked on growing her roots into her new little seedling bag and made little above ground progress.

The joys of growing together! I saw @docx024’s growing a plant in a clear plastic cup. I know this is to be avoided because the roots should be protected from light. I let him know and he cleverly covered the cup with a sock. Well that evening I am standing there looking at my own seedling bags and I realized for the first time how translucent they are. I started wondering if that could be inhibiting the roots, so I took a page for @docx024’s playbook and I used a sock to cover the roots. An experiment of sorts… I am not thrilled with the added water retention, but maybe it is wicking… I do like the darker root zone… we’ll see how it turns out come transplant time.

DSC 1382crop
DSC 1379crop

By day 10 (Yesterday), there were clear signs that she is fighting with the coco for calcium… and losing. I am surprised because I buffered the coco pretty well, but I really don’t give much Ca the first few days. Still it has me concerned about the quality of the coco at this point… This is the fourth time I have re-used this particular coco… we’ll see if how conditions fair going forward. I have a handle on managing the issue, but it does slow the plants down a bit as they struggle with it.

DSC 1420temp
DSC 1417crop
DSC 1401crop

So, she is basically doing well. A little stalled with Ca issues, but she is getting plenty of TLC. Maybe she is just waiting for her little sister who is coming up behind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 7:38 pm Juiceman, Kushman and DocX024 liked
+ Show 4 comments
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

Part 2

So as everyone knows I am supposed to grow a Blueberry CBD for @coconut.

Before I got locked out of the forum (why does that keep happening to me? ? ), we had already given up on the first seed which failed for no particular reason. And we were worried about the second, which opened and showed her tail, but then just sat there and did not grow. Well, on day 7 I started the third and final Blueberry CBD seed that I purchased with diminishing hope that she would grow… She did not. She and seed number 2 are still in their wet paper towels doing exactly nothing.

So I am very sorry @coconut. I promise that I tried! The Blueberry CBD is a total bust. I will contact Grower’s Choice, because I am sure this is not on me. But what to do with my “Blueberry” grow?

I have no other CBD seeds. If I did I would have grown that. But I did just so happen to have some other Blueberry seeds. I got two Blueberry from Seedsman over a year ago. They have been in my seed vault (refrigerator) since... I took one out on the night of the 8th. The third BB CBD had only been wet for 36 hours at that point, but I had little hope. But I gave her the full 48 before dropping the Blueberry seed at 9:30am on January 9.

I very gently scuffed her, and this time I did use 220 grit sandpaper. I dropped her in water and she sank immediately – floated after 15 minutes – then sunk again after 1 hour. At that point I put her in the pyrex between paper towels. I situated her on the heat mat such that the temp was 91f and kept her dark until 9:30 am the next day.

When I opened the pyrex to check on her she had a giant root, already an inch long. It had grown into the paper towel and actually fused with it by growing her root in between the plies. @chefomj is right, I should have used cheaper paper towels. I wish I had taken a picture, but I am sorry, this was the fourth seed I dropped trying to fill this position, so I was not playing games with the germination process.

I gently ripped away as much of the paper towel as I could but some of it had to come along into the jiffy pellet with the root and seed. I made the hole larger to accommodate the long root and paper towel bundle, and left the head almost at the surface.

This morning at the 48 hour mark she was already a happy helmet head and by 51 hours her cotyledons were opening!

DSC 1408crop

By the 57 hour mark (just a few hours ago), she had shed her helmet and is racing to catch up to her sister.

DSC 0681crop

Nice to have a seed that wants to grow… reassuring! And given her early vigor, I have little doubt that she will catch her sister “Kush” by the flip.

As for my sister… Sorry again @coconut but I will make you some cookies to make up for it.

Grower Love! It is good to be back ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 11:55 pm Juiceman, Kushman and Californiakid liked
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

Just a little video of my girls enjoying the fog!

Day 12 for the girl on the left, The start of day 4 for the little Blueberry on the right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2019 3:45 pm Juiceman, Kushman, Kushlove and 2 people liked
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

Day 12

The Kush is doing better. She has been really enjoying the twice daily mistings with CalMag water. She looked greener and healthier and the new growth looks better. She also has a root out the bottom of her seedling bag. It is tempting to pot her up, but I want to keep her in the seedling bag and let her grow through the Ca issues first. She just received her second fertigation with full strength seedling nutes (EC 1050) and I am going to mix up some early veg nutes for her next fertigation late tonight before I go to bed. She has been on twice daily fertigations for the last several days.

To Review:

Day 6 1200: EC 470 pH 6.3

Day 7 1200: EC 559 pH 6.2

Day 8 1200: EC 608 pH 6.2

Day 8 2330: EC 659 pH 6.2

Day 9 1300: EC 750 pH 6.1

Day 9 2300: EC 815 pH 6.2

Day 10 1300: CALMAG ONLY EC 794

Day 10 2300: EC 904 pH 6.3

Day 11 1300: EC 987 pH 6.1

Day 11 2300: EC 1050 pH 6.1 (Full Strength)

Day 12 1300: EC 1050 pH 6.4

The little Blueberry is a rockstar. She is only in her fourth day from seed and already has a root through the jiffy pellet. She is about to be transplanted and since her cotyledons have been open since yesterday I will pre-fertigate the coco prior to adding her (EC 400, pH 6.3). And the process shall begin again... hopefully I can skip that CalMag water this time through.

I get some fresh pics up later

Grower Love

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2019 5:02 pm Juiceman, Kushman and Californiakid liked
+ Show 2 comments
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

End of Day 12

Well it is the end of day 12 for the BB Kush at least. It is only half way through day number 4 for the little Blueberry.

I was surprised to see a few roots growing through the black sock on the side of Kush's pot... so I picked her up and she is popping several roots through the bottom! She is still a little slow going above ground, but I am happy with the roots!

I am still not in a huge hurry to transplant her... But I really look forward to making a video of that! I will now probably transplant her tomorrow.

Really just an update to show a few pics.

DSC 0697crop
DSC 0701crop
DSC 0698crop

Grower Love

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2019 12:26 am Juiceman, Kushman, Kushlove and 5 people liked
+ Show 7 comments
Longster
Trusted Member
Cannabis Fan

What medium is inside the Seedling Mix?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2019 8:03 pm
+ Show 4 comments
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

Day 14

Well it is really the start of day 15 by now... but the pictures were taken a little while ago  ? 

The little Blueberry is just on day 7 anyway.

DSC 0713crop1

Kush's transplant yesterday went very well. However, I am still not sure that she is fully happy. The roots I observed during the transplant were really encouraging though and I hope and expect her to find her footing soon. She is on Early Veg Nutes at 1150 EC. I had to dilute the mix a bit because I mixed it with the full dose of CalMag and it came to 1325.

Blue is still early in the nute schedule and got fertigated with EC 446 about an hour ago. She is doing well, growing into her coco and no signs of any issues so far. Other than the fact that she is leaning over towards Kush. It isn't just a lean, it is a bend and she has had it from the start. It is kind of cute because since the transplant Kush is leaning over towards her.  ? 

Climate variables are all doing well. I am a little concerned about the coco I am using. It has served me well three times already, but Kush's CalMag issue has me concerned. If Blue goes through the same pains then I will use new coco for future transplants. It will probably be for naught, as the calmag issue is most critical during the seedling stage, but still. 

BTW I enjoy it when they are under CFLs and I can spend a lot of time with them! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:36 am Mangrow Goodbud, Californiakid, Woop and 6 people liked
+ Show 14 comments
DrCoco ALT
Member Admin
Expert Grower

Day 16

"Like day and night"

So the Kush is doing better! I have been spending time with her regularly and nursing her through her CalMag issues. I thought she was doing much better and was really happy with her turn around. To make sure, I asked my wife and she exclaimed "Like day and night, what did you do!" So, I was happy about that.

Sometimes seedlings almost seem to just need to get used to the coco. She came through the transplant with no stress and is now a very happy plant!

DSC 0725crop
DSC 0724crop
DSC 0722crop

The little Blue seems to be avoiding the issues that plagued her sister and continues to do well. She is on day 8 now, having first gotten wet on January 9th (I think my earlier post over-estimated her age by a day). Now that the Kush is gorwing well the little Blue had better keep hustling to catch up!  ? 

Fertigation remains 2x daily by hand with different waters for each. This is a PITA that I look forward to freeing myself from soon! But it is fun to nurture little seedlings and water them with my syringe. And the plants are beautiful to look at (when they are healthy) and growing tender young leaves!

Inflow on Kush is Early Veg up to 1200EC with Run-off at 1350. Blue is up to EC 700 on the seedling blend. 

Happiness is healthy little plants!  ? 

Grower love!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2019 8:05 pm Kushman, Juiceman, Woop and 1 people liked
+ Show 7 comments
Woop
  Woop
Reputable Member
Practicing Grower

WOW! They look so happy! 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2019 8:34 pm DrCoco ALT liked
Longster
Trusted Member
Cannabis Fan

Looking good Doc..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 9:20 pm Juiceman liked
SmokesUp
Trusted Member
Cannabis Fan

NYGC-SmokesUp Sinmint Cookies Grow

Sinmint Cookies by Sin City seeds

Lookn good. My new seeds passed customs! Haha, I will be making a thread here in a few days (better late then never). Hell, I'm thinking I'll be 3 weeks behind. But with my style of growing, I'll shoot way ahead in a week and half! Only time will tell haha! Good luck! 😉

Detroit Organic Life
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 9:40 pm Chefomj ALT, Juiceman and DrCoco ALT liked
+ Show 1 comments
Page 2 / 6 Prev Next