Forum

NYGC Soil-Peat: Baked Apple/Banana Kush

Page 1 / 2 Next
1swanzsong
Eminent Member
Cannabis Fan
NYGC Soil-Peat: Baked Apple/Banana Kush

This is my first time participating in the NYGC!💚

I'm starting one seed each of Baked Apple and Banana Kush.
Starting a 18-24 hour seed soak in 1% H2O2 solution at midnight on January 1st before they will each be placed into a 10 gallon Grassroots fabric pot with living soil (mostly Build A Soil products) that has been recently amended. This will be my 3rd round in this soil.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20231226 142222

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/31/2023 8:32 pm Big Mike ATX, Bubba42072, smotpoker and 2 people liked
+ Show 3 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Day 9: The Baked Apple damped off which is pretty disappointing since I've had 100% with all the seeds I've popped so far but this is only my 4th grow so it had to happen sometime. Always new lessons to learn. I've started another Baked Apple seed soaking this afternoon and she'll just be playing catchup to the Banana Kush.

Here is the Banana Kush's progress.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240109 142351

It's been pretty cold here so even with a space heater in front of the intake fan the tent is a little cold for my liking which is slowing her down but that's just the way of the winter grow here in our house. I'm weaning her out from the humidity dome now.

Thanks to everyone who has commented! Your encouragement is so appreciated!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2024 11:44 am Big Mike ATX, smotpoker, Crispywannabe and 1 people liked
+ Show 5 comments

Update on my grow. Thanks to the weather and some fiddling with my intake fan setup and exhaust fan cycle I was finally able to get the ladies warm enough for them to make some gains and I can tell they are starting to ramp up into something more similar to what I'd usually expect. Still going slower than previous grows, but I've not been able to dote on them either as I've had a major setback with my chronic illness the last few weeks. 

The wonderful thing about growing my own medicine is that even when things are feeling the bleakest and symptom flares are keeping me from spending as much time and energy on the plants (or anything) as I want, I can still take a few moments of joy in their presence and take in the lessons the garden has to teach. This grow will be what it will be, and I will do what I am able to do for them.

The Baked Apple (replacement for the seed that damped off) had some chlorosis that showed up on the tips of her first true leaves early on but it's not showing up on the newer growth so I think it was just a consequence of the cold temps making her a bit too damp and chilly at the start. I'll be topping the Banana Kush soon as long as she continues to show me that she's hitting her stride. I'm not sure that she'll be ready for me to try to take any clones from her by Feb 4th, but we'll see how she's looking at that point.

My health setback led to me having to quit my second job because I've fallen well below my baseline from almost 2 years ago and my loved ones were nearly ready to host an intervention to get me to step away from the extra stress and exertion, so I'm having to do a lot of resting (deeply aggravating) but I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to spend more time and energy with these ladies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/29/2024 12:20 pm

I tried to attach photos to my previous post but it seems like it might be bugged. I'll try to upload them again later.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/29/2024 12:22 pm
+ Show 2 comments

Banana Kush:

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240130 144812

Baked Apple (seed soak started on Jan 9th for her to replace the seed that damped off):

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240130 144830

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/30/2024 12:16 pm Big Mike ATX and Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 2 comments

Well it's a sad day. I checked on my tent this afternoon and the Baked Apple had a couple of mites running around on her leaves. 😞 I sprayed both as thoroughly and completely as possible with some cold pressed neem oil emulsified into some warm water with a saponin extract and shut off the lights. I'm definitely bowing out of the clone challenge at this point and I'm just going to focus on hopefully eradicating these monsters. I've never had them in my tent before but I did have some on a couple of our houseplants over the summer that live in another room and I think came in with me from gardening outdoors despite an abundance of caution of changing clothes and washing up after being outside. To be fair I haven't been as stringent with my IPM as usual this round which is totally on me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2024 12:11 pm smotpoker and Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 4 comments

Well the plants just got their 4th application of neem this afternoon (I've been doing every other day) and I'll reassess on Sunday and see if I feel like it's time to move to every 3rd day or not. The Banana Kush doesn't seem to0 bothered but the Baked Apple is not exactly loving life right now. Of course of the two it's the strain I was especially excited about. Isn't that always the way?

Banana Kush:

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240208 145242

Baked Apple:

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240208 145246

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2024 12:23 pm Big Mike ATX, XYZVector and Bubba42072 liked

Update on my ladies. Still working on wiping out the mites before I will flip into flower. I'm doing a little defoliation on them but holding off on my usual LST routine since I'm still spraying them every other day with a neem solution. The Baked Apple is still bearing the brunt of the mites but she's doing her best. I may switch to a citric acid based spray soon and do that for 2 weeks just so I can try some wettable sulfur if it doesn't seem like I'm making significant headway soon with the neem. Right now I'm keeping the population from surging, but I'm not eliminating them. They really like to hang out on the black plastic drip trays and I'm spraying the trays down with rubbing alcohol at least once a day. The Banana Kush has been a real trooper through this and I've been really impressed with her vigor given the stress.

Cannabis Grow original 75eec9c1 3960 4e35 a60a e1387eea4052 IMG 20240221 233755
Cannabis Grow IMG 20240221 233801

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/21/2024 9:06 pm Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 10 comments

I finally went ahead and topped the Banana Kush today.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240223 144320
Cannabis Grow IMG 20240223 144309

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/23/2024 12:20 pm Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 2 comments

Update time! After lights off this afternoon I did my first spray with wettable sulphur. I'm going to spray 2 more times over the next 10 days and then I will re-assess the mite situation.

Here the ladies are right after lights on tonight. (Banana Kush on the left and Baked Apple on the right):

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240309 210344
Cannabis Grow IMG 20240309 210330

Banana Kush:

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240309 210421

Baked Apple:

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240309 210419

I have also been noticing a pill bug population boom this run in the left hand pot and I've just been rehoming them outside when I am able to nab them but I saw a baby on an upper leaf of the Banana Kush tonight. Apparently it either doesn't mind the sulphur or it was fleeing the soil because of the sulphur and upwards seemed like the best direction in which to flee??? 😂🤷

Either way I'll be putting down some scooped out halves of potato down on the mulch layer to try to collect as many as I can to move outside until they are under control enough to not want to come up into the plant (shout out to a very timely Build A Soil video for the potato tek).

I've defoliated fairly aggressively (no really) again to remove mites/eggs and make it easier for me to get all the leaf surfaces sprayed but even with the pest pressure these ladies are impressing me. The Baked Apple has nearly caught up to the Banana Kush in height and her stalk is about twice as thick.

If all goes well with the sulphur treatment I will top the Banana Kush again to even out the canopy since I'm not LSTing this round. This time I will try to root those and I'll also take some cuttings from the Baked Apple at the same time (they will all get a sulphur dunk before they go into the coco coins) and then hopefully we can actually progress into flower. That's the plan anyway, but I'm ready to pivot. No sense in getting a big problem in flower when some extra patience now could prevent it happening. Now...the lower my jars get from last harvest the less patient I may begin to feel...😂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2024 6:59 pm Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 3 comments

Well, I'm holding off on the potato lure for the pill bugs for now. I just checked on the ladies and found a few dead/dying adults and a bunch of dead babies in the Banana Kush tray. I'm thinking that the sulphur just took a little while to take them out and they probably did come out of the mulch layer to try to escape (sorry guys). By the time I've done my other 2 sulphur applications for the mites I think the pill bug population should be adequately reduced. I really only care about them not being so plentiful that they're turning to the foliage for a food source. I did see one lonely mite on the Baked Apple today so hopefully the residual sulphur and the follow up sprays will take care of any other stragglers/new hatchlings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2024 11:58 am Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 2 comments

Quick update. Wednesday was the 2nd sulphur application and things are looking good so far on the mite front. 🤞The Baked Apple is bouncing back beautifully. I'm eager to get some cuts off her soon.

I did implement the potato lure for the pill bugs in the Banana Kush container as they resurged yesterday and I found a bunch of babies chomping on her main stalk right at the soil line. I caught them quickly and they didn't do much damage above ground. Unsure if the roots are suffering much damage from them but so far the potato lure is working well (I'm checking it a couple of times a day and removing a bunch each time) and I'm not seeing any more adults so hopefully I can get them in check properly soon. If this happens again I'll know to just go ahead and implement that at the first sign of overpopulation. Lots of lessons learned in this grow so far that I know will serve me well moving forward.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240315 115320

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2024 12:17 pm Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 1 comments

The ladies got their third (and hopefully last) sulphur treatment on Monday.
Banana Kush

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240320 143152 (1)

Baked Apple

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240320 143157 (1)

I'm planning on taking cuttings on Friday and then giving them a good topdress. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/20/2024 12:44 pm Bubba42072 liked
+ Show 2 comments

Testing out my cloning setup to make sure everything is running smoothly before I take cuttings tomorrow. I have a blackout box to put over them for lights out (just a cardboard box that I've taped up all the light leaks in). There is one 8.5W LED light in the fixture that's running on a standard outlet timer. I also do have a heat mat with a thermostat set up because this is in a colder area of the house. I'll be using Coco Coin rooting pucks.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240321 153044

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2024 12:46 pm Bubba42072 liked

Yesterday I topped the Banana Kush for the second time which gave me 2 cuttings to try to root. I also took 3 cuttings off of the Baked Apple and did some general defoliation on her. Both got a topdress of earthworm castings, kelp meal and alfalfa meal with some BAS Build A Bloom, Rootwise Bio-Phos and Q20 watered in. I'm planning on finally flipping them into flower on the 31st.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240322 213751

The cuttings got a dunk in wettable sulphur solution (just in case) and then I put them in water with aloe and a little Rootwise Complete until this afternoon when I pucked them up into Coco Coins soaked in the same solution.

Cannabis Grow IMG 20240323 145509
Cannabis Grow IMG 20240323 150339

I have a replacement spill tray for my tent coming from AC Infinity next week. The lamination started to bubble almost immediately after I get the tent about a year and a half ago but it was mostly cosmetic so I didn't really care too much but now it's started to peel so I will be glad to have a new one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/23/2024 12:25 pm love-2-grow and Bubba42072 liked
Page 1 / 2 Next