Forum

SAFC Mephisto: Northern Cheese Haze

Page 1 / 2 Next
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower
SAFC Mephisto: Northern Cheese Haze

A bit late as I lost the last harvest to mold and am working on cleaning up the space. Planning to start a seed tonight in a Root Riot and transplant to a pint size mix of coco and perlite. From there I am not sure about intermediate steps but I want to finish in 3 gal soil to keep it from going longer. TBD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/24/2020 11:50 am Cannavore liked
Cannavore
Esteemed Member
Practicing Grower

That’s a shame!  Did you lose the whole harvest or could you salvage some?  When did you find the mould? In jars? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/25/2020 5:59 am SuperLyme liked
+ Show 1 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

Just started a Northern Cheese Haze and a Double Grape in toilet paper.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/26/2020 10:16 am Cannavore liked
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

I transplanted Root Riots into solo cup equivalent ez-swap pots with coco/perlite mix 2 days ago. I followed the buffering guide and used 2 plantronix bricks but by the time I had finished straining it, what I had left was only enough for about half a 3gal pot. I'm guessing I over-strained? At least I know I only have large coco particles. I put 1 quart of perlite in that and mixed it up. I'm using NFTG "unofficial" autoflower chart, so this should be interesting.

Double grape is about 12 hours behind NCH but they're doing fine so far.

I also tranplanted my begonia maculata into a 1 gal pot with coco/perlite when I started the seeds last weekend. It was having trouble with new leaves dying before unfurling so hopefully it does better with higher RH due to keeping the coco wet - and I feel good about recycling my runoff. I will get some pictures on here soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2020 6:17 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

They're doing great so far. Got coco buffered and mixed with perlite to be ready for transplant today, still need to finish building my led strip light too. The third node is starting to open up, Double Grape is about a day behind Northern Cheese Haze but doing well.

I've been going back and forth between an intermediate transplant and straight to 3gal from the pint size.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2020 7:24 am Cannavore liked
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

So I transplanted last Sunday night a week ago. I'm using EZ Swap pots and I didn't love it for transplanting. They are a super cool concept and i think they'll be great for this second transplant coming  up if i decide to do it. The problem was that it's such a small little pot "solo cup" equivalent, with the flaps and snaps and super thick fabric, I upset the roots more than I would have liked. NCH was ready for the transplant and kept growing, but DG has been a little behind this whole time and was more behind than I realized in terms of root development. That third node and leaf set was just coming in for both of them, NCH had the leaves half grown, and DG they were just turning out. Next time I would definitely wait for the third node to completely develop so that it has a strong root ball that I don't have to worry about so much. I moved them from pint size to half gallon pots. I made enough coco/perlite mix to transplant them into the 3 gal airpots I have. They are working on their 5th node now and there are quite a lot of root tips coming out the bottom and lower sides of the pots, so I may be transplanting in the next week, maybe a full week for DG.

I have a picture of just after transplant last Sunday and 2 photos from LST last night and this morning. DG has a really scrawny stem compared to NCH so I'll have to be more careful with that one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/17/2020 7:59 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

Cannabis Grow 5.17
Cannabis Grow 5.16
Cannabis Grow 5.10

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/17/2020 8:00 am Cannavore liked
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

I built my new strip light last week as well and had to get it dialed in this week. It's 14x Bridgelux EB gen 2 5000k strips with a 700mA driver. It'll do 185W at max chooch. I currently have it set around 120w and a couple feet above the canopy is giving me 28,000 lux, I saw somewhere that dividing by 70 is a reasonable conversion to umol. So 400 umol running 24/0 is giving me a DLI around 35 which I believe is quite high for early veg but I had miscalculated something as I was adjusting the light and accidentally set it much brighter than intended and the plants weren't freaking out. I have the parts to double down on this light so another driver and 14 more strips in 3500k which I will add in before flower. I'll get a pic up too so people can see how I built it. 

My only problem so far has been some nutrient def/excess/lockout in NCH. DG hasn't been as fussy although it showing that lighter green on new growth. NCH is showing clawing on new growth tips but I'm using Nectar and they say that traditional N tox clawing can be calcium deficiency with this line. I'm also seeing lighter green interveinal chlorosis on new growth with a few rust type spots on a new leaf set popping up from the second node on NCH.

This all showed up all of a sudden once I cranked up the light power and also increased the feed. As you can see. NCH is still growing quickly, but it's showing these signs. A slurry test of the coco with RO water showed 6.8ph and 200ppm on 500 scale, so I upped the feed for the last 24 hours and PH'd it to 6.1 to try to bring the medium down some and also gave them a foliar feed yesterday morning. We'll see how they do in the next couple days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/17/2020 8:12 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

as a new grower it's been interesting running the nectar line. first time was in their soil and i transplanted up too soon and had no concept of watering properly and stunted them. now i'm running in the coco/perlite mix with the same bottles plus extra microbes and i'm seeing way more growth but it's also a lot more work to feed more. I can't set up a reservoir with this line because it doesn't stay suspended in solution and it's really against their whole philosophy. i'm considering two other grow regimens. reusing their #4 soil and top dressing with one shot granules, or sticking to coco/perlite and trying megacrop. i guess i'd also like to give living soil another shot but i think i'll wait until I know i'll be in the same place for awhile to see the returns there.

now that i've switched to RO water and coco. I'm wondering if i'm seeing micronutrient deficiencies or if it's just a PH problem. I just fed an mix of instant tea, slf, ez tea veg, photo plus, plus athena's amino acids and aphrodite's carbs. hoping the combination of correcting the medium ph and giving more calcium, micronutrients, and microbes will help out with the clawing and lighter new growth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/17/2020 9:52 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

so i just transplanted them up again from 1/2 gal ez swap pots to 3gal rain science bags. i didn't quite have enough coco so i made a sort of raised transplant, hopefully there's enough coco around the sides to protect the roots from light.

so this is day 23 from sprout and 10 days since transplant from pint to half gallon. both plants had solid root mass and i did have to use a butterknife to help cut all the roots from the fabric, but each root mass stayed intact - each plant had it's 6th node leaves out and was working on a 7th node. northern cheese haze is so much more vigorous than double grape but has been showing stress.

i started tying them down saturday night and they took to it well. i am curious to see how far around the horn i make it before they stretch. double grape has been showing pistils at the nodes but northern cheese haze hasn't yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/22/2020 12:05 pm
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower
progress

NCH got shocked into flower hard on that transplant. not that it is a problem, and maybe it was just time. double grape has been behind this whole time but hasn't started flowering and has much tighter node spacing so i'm grateful for the extra veg, we'll see if my tent is. I've got NCH into a decent shape but LST has a learning curve. I did snap off a stem with a couple growth tips while tying it down yesterday 🙁 it's also showing N tox and nute burn, but I think it'll be okay. I'm not sure i have the EC down low enough yet, so I am going to flush it down some more today. DG will just keep on trucking though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/27/2020 6:15 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower
it's been a while

quite a bit has happened since i've posted photos. NCH is recovering from N tox/Ca deficiency and nutrient burn. i've got the EC down and it seems to be recovering well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/30/2020 11:38 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

Cannabis Grow NCH day 34

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/30/2020 11:39 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower

Cannabis Grow dg 34

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/30/2020 11:40 am
SuperLyme
Trusted Member
New Grower
updates to the set up

so my strip light is working well and the light distribution is pretty good overall. i have it set up as 183W actual 5000k bridgelux and i was running it around 300 umol on a 24 hour cycle. i moved the carbon filter into the tent which is 6" as an exhaust instead of the 3.5mm fans i had as intake and exhaust with hvac filters. i've got pretty good negative pressure and seems like the smell is completely managed for now, i only have flower sites on one plant but they are pretty stinky already.

the new ventilation setup with the new light is pretty stable at 78F lights on max (switched to 20/4 to get a few foliars in). and 73F lights off. i am working on doubling the number of strips so i'll have 14x 5000k and 14x 3500k strips all run at 700mA on an aluminum barstock frame that's  24" x 46" in my 2' x 4' tent. it holds the shape of the gorilla tent under pressure and ii have bars at the canopy height as well so the tent isn't shrinking too much

i also took some plastic drawer liner and cut out sheets to wrap around my rain science grow bags to try to slow down the evaporation through the woven plastic to keep the humidity down, it dropped rh down from 75 to 63 pretty quick today. hopefully this extends the time needed for fertigation (currently hand feeding 2x/day) and reduces the humidity for flower.

i've been slowly pruning the undergrowth of my two plants as well. i trained them so low that i was struggling with airflow even with two fans

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/31/2020 6:08 pm
Page 1 / 2 Next