Forum

[Solved] Watering your Coco

Kushman
  Kushman
Noble Member Charter Member
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows
My Current Grows

I was intrigued at the idea of trying out growing in full coco! (some perlite of course) but then i saw how you guys are watering. There's no way i can water more than once a day. And  tbh Im not really in the mood to mix nutes everyday, im a pretty busy dude! I still love coco and correct me if Im wrong but its still a great amendment for soil im pretty sure. and also the dirt i just discovered is pretty sweet. It has mycorrhizae in it, heres a link with all the ingredients! (if theres a better base soil out there please post)   https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae/

if i was to try and aim for watering every 3 days, how much coco do you think i could add to my dirt to not worry about it drying out? like i said id love to use pure coco but i dont think its the right fit for my growing habits. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/14/2018 9:33 pm
+ Show 5 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
Dr Photon
Member Moderator
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

I am in the same boat. I cannot water more than once a day. But all you really have to do, is increase the runoff to stabalize the NER and concentration. With once a day feeding, i operate around 50% run off to ensure stability of these variables. I am pretty sure drcoco mentions this in his articles.

Also, you would choose larger pots (plastic or fabric) to allow the water retained to last longer. This is while still using a 50/50 coco perlite mix. When using less than 1 fertigation per day, you would have to employ the traditional 70/30 mix. 

Being wrong, is an opportunity for getting things right.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/14/2018 10:01 pm
+ Show 5 comments
Kushman
  Kushman
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows
My Current Grows

i think i need to read some more articles before i ask questions! im always getting to excited and rushing into things. so what is your thoughts on mixing dirt and coco? when i 1st started i didnt have any knowledge about coco so i went and bought a whack load of dirt about 50-60 gallons of a few different kinds. so i kind of would like to use it but i want to use coco aswell! but ill still read some articles and learn some more 🙂 thanks man

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/14/2018 10:09 pm
Kushman
  Kushman
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows
My Current Grows

It's definitely been fun i forgot about that part ? so I think I'm going to start a grow Journal tomorrow it's going to be 50/50 cool coir dirt mix! 

• since I'm keeping it pretty simple and easy I'm probably not going to be testing the ec. And I'm literally so broke I can't afford the $30 meter right now LMAO. One question should I make sure there is a bit run off at each fertigation to prevent salt build up? I'm gonna try and rig a little Mesh table like the one I saw in Dr phtons pic! Thanks again for that sweet idea man
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/14/2018 11:42 pm
+ Show 2 comments

You are in the right place if you want to grow in coco/perlite with auto-water!  ? 

That is my specialty!

I like my drain system because it controls humidity. The water is funneled into a bucket and then pumped out of the tent. But there are many ways to do it and @drphoton 's set-up looks pretty sleek.

Let's Grow Together
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/20/2018 9:36 am
+ Show 1 comments
Alan
  Alan
Trusted Member
Practicing Grower

Hello all:

This is my first post so bear with me.

On my first indoor grow using coco/perlite mix. Trying different nutrients and so far so good. Had some initial issues with spider mites and I did not prep my coco, so dealing with cal/mag issues too, but in the fourth week of flower and things are under control and the ladies are looking pretty good.

Using mainly 5G grow bags with a couple 3G so the watering demands are high. I am building a 40G mixing tank this weekend which I am pretty excited about since I am doing the 5G bucket right now and it's pretty much one a day. No plans to setup an auto watering deal right now, but maybe on my next grow.

I hand water using one gallon jugs and it's not easy to regulate how much water you are giving each plants. I don't want to underwater so I typically over-water to be safe and just let it run-off. Not ideal having to deal with that much run-off. I water the ones in 5G bags twice a day and the smaller ones three times. So on to my question.

How do you hand watering guys ensure you are consistent with how much you are watering each plant?  Do you use some sort of measured water jug? I have a four cup container I use, but it's a pain getting down under the plants which are scrogged, so it's a reach. I was thinking of using a vinyl hose from the mixing tank to make it easier, but there is still the issue of how much water I am giving them. I can attach some pictures if that might help.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks folks and sorry for the long post.

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2019 6:12 am
+ Show 4 comments
Kushman
  Kushman
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows
My Current Grows

Welcome @jacqe00! I'm glad you chose one of my posts as your 1st! Although , I have so many threads started you probably didn't even mean to 😂 im in the exact same boat as you .Hand watering daily and I have the home Depot vacuum just like you haha. I mark my gallon jugs with a sharpie and every quart, and then when I poor into the watering jug, you know how much water you've poored in! 

I'm actually in the middle of building the auto drain saucers that doc was talking about! Anyways good luck dude 😎

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2019 6:33 pm
+ Show 1 comments
Alan
  Alan
Trusted Member
Practicing Grower

I had mentioned in a previous post I was building a mixing tank. Well I finally finished it and it is working out extremely well. So much easier than mixing five gallon pails once a day. I'm pretty proud of it, so I thought I would share how I setup this up with everyone. I added links to the things I purchased and some pictures of the final product.

My grow is on the 2nd floor of my house so that is a consideration. Fortunately I have a utility sink in my pottery room which is about 40ft from my grow room. I purchased an expanding hose for filling the tank which works out great and a filter for taking out the Chlorine and Chloramines. For the tank I purchased a heavy duty Husky 35 gallon tote from Home Depot.

Full Tank Shot

I have it up on four totes so it's well above the level of the pots since it's a gravity feed system. I attached a 1/4" zinc platted threaded rod inside with fender washers to just add a little strength to the walls.

Threaded Rod

I purchased a small pump from my local hydro shop for keeping the nutrients in suspension which I turn on before feedings and when mixing nutrients. I have it on a safety timer that runs for 30 minutes in case I forget to shut it off.

Pump TImer

I added a piece of 1/2" clear tubing on the side as a level gauge. I originally filled it with a five gallon pail so I could mark it at five gallon intervals. When I fill it I get an idea of how much I am adding so I know where to start measuring my nutrients.

Water Level Gauge

I decided to go with a 3/4" fill hose so I attached a heavy bulkhead adapter and ball valve with a barbed connection. On the other end of the hose I have a 3/4" barbed ball valve which opens real easy and I can cover with my thumb as I move from pot to pot.

Watering Plant

The flow is excellent and very similar to what comes out of a gallon jug so it's pretty easy to gauge how much to add. Although I need to adjust as the level of the tank goes down and the flow reduces. There are some real pros to this new setup; it is so much easier (on my back) than watering with a jug, it's a lot easier to mix nutrients in the larger volume, I only have to mix nutrients every 5-6 days instead of almost every day....and it's just cool. I am thinking of adding some aeration, but since I run the pump a lot and it only lasts a week I am not sure it's needed. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Just for the heck of it, I included a shot of the calendars I use for keeping notes.

Journals

I have a journal as well, but the calendars give me a quick glance at things like; week I am in, current EC and PH levels in the tank, what treatments I have applied and when and other stuff like that. The clip board has a run-off log, I usually measure one or two plants each fertigation and also a log for how much water has gone through the filter so I know when it needs to be replaced.

Hope you enjoyed this and if anyone has questions or comments let me know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/17/2019 9:34 am Kushman, Dr Coco and bubble bubble liked
+ Show 2 comments