Forum

DIY Grow Projects (Share, Help, Improve and Learn)

Hey guys! If you are like me and love to tinker with stuff to help your daily gardening run smoother or just like to experiment this is the forum for you!

Post pictures of your projects and ask for advice on ideas, parts, designs, anything and everything!

Be kind and constructive, have fun and learn!
As always Happy Growing!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2020 12:18 pm
hysenbud
New Grower

Hello! 

I am a newbie and am currently building out a space in an old barn, it will be about 6' x 12' total. 4x4x8 sealed room, 2x4x8 veg tent. 

The first thing I did was raise the ceiling about 16", as it was only 7'3"

Cannabis Grow Photo Dec 30, 5 03 17 PM

I sealed up all the stud bays with great stuff, I also put a 1" layer of rigid insulation on the outside of this building in the fall, so it should be pretty tight once I can finish up the siding this spring.

Cannabis Grow Stud Bay

I chose to use a rigid insulation for the 2' slant on each side that was created by raising the ceiling. I shimmed out the rafters with 1/4" lath and then used 3/4" stock on the underside of the roof deck to keep an air gap between the rigid insulation and the bottom of the roof deck and that allows me to put 3" of insulation in to get flush with the bottom of the rafters

Cannabis Grow Slant Insulation Prep

Cannabis Grow Insulation Ceiling 3

Sealed up the edges of the foam with great stuff to keep everything tight and a 1" layer of rigid foam will go over the slant and the whole ceiling

Cannabis Grow Slant Insulation Foam

That's it for now, will keep popping in with updates as the build continues and the grow starts to get setup

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/13/2020 9:01 am Jim, Chefomj and TrueNorthHydro liked
+ Show 2 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
barry1
  barry1
Cannabis Fan

Growing my main plant I decided to take a clone. Since then I put the main plant into flower and I made a small clone box. Well the flowering on the main plant is coming along but the clone has outgrown the small box. I'm at a loss of what to do with the clone. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/14/2020 2:18 pm
+ Show 3 comments
weedabix
Eminent Member
Cannabis Fan

Hi Folks,
first of all a disclaimer: I'm not an engineer, can't code, am not a maker and don't have experience with any of it - so whatever I'm reporting here is just my own learning experience: I don't know what I am doing, and if so I got it from helpful sources on the internet, off people who actually do know what they are doing.

The Project:
So I wanted to build a data logger and it's an evolving project. For now it logs and displays temperature and humidity of my grow tent every 25 seconds. The data is stored on a micro SD card as a comma separated txt file and displayed on a little lit LCD. It is powered by USB.
This is it:

Cannabis Grow temp logger

Looks a bit frantic I know - I have many ideas for improvements of it - until then it is just a prototype.
So far:
Most of my kit is from two Elegoo Arduino kits of Amazon. If you can buy the original - just to support the cause, otherwise it's totally fine. The items used from those kits are:
Arduino Uno
16x2 LCD
DHT11 (Humidity and Temperature sensor)- mine was mounted so I didn't need a resistor with it.
SD card module,
RTC (real time clock) module
micro SD card
1k and 220 Ohm resistors
jumper wires
Bread Board

Both the wiring and code are mostly from those two tutorials:
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/arduino-temperature-data-logger-with-sd-card-module/
for the temperature logging and:
https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/arduino-humidity-measurement
for the LCD.
There were a few issues I ran into: 1. I needed to download a newer version of the Arduino IDE to work with the newest Mac OS on 64bit.
Then I ran out of digital pins but you can just use the analog ins as 14, 15, 16, 17...

Here's a little video to show it booting up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8l23koni-E

Next steps are:
- get a longer cable to put the sensor next to the flowers and not having it dangle quite far up in the tent
- include light and pressure sensors to check on the fan as well as a soil humidity sensor (or multiple)
- add a button for the LCD backlight
- stream it to the cloud so I can check it on my phone
- solder it onto e.g. a prototype shield
- put it in a case

Happy to provide more details if anyone wants them, or take some advice from anyone knowledgeable!
cheers,
weedabix

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/15/2020 3:56 pm hysenbud and TrueNorthHydro liked
weedabix
Eminent Member
Cannabis Fan

I can't figure out how to put in the code... 

/* * Rui Santos * Complete Project Details  http://randomnerdtutorials.com  */ #include <SPI.h> //for the SD card module #include <SD.h> // for the SD card #include <DHT.h> // for the DHT sensor #include <RTClib.h> // for the RTC #include<LiquidCrystal.h> LiquidCrystal lcd(7,6,14,15,16,17); byte degree[8] = { 0b00011, 0b00011, 0b00000, 0b00000, 0b00000, 0b00000, 0b00000, 0b00000 }; //degree symbol for lcd //define DHT pin #define DHTPIN 2 // what pin we're connected to // uncomment whatever type you're using #define DHTTYPE DHT11 // DHT 11 //#define DHTTYPE DHT22 // DHT 22 (AM2302) //#define DHTTYPE DHT21 // DHT 21 (AM2301) // initialize DHT sensor for normal 16mhz Arduino DHT dht(DHTPIN, DHTTYPE); // change this to match your SD shield or module; // Arduino Ethernet shield and modules: pin 4 // Data loggin SD shields and modules: pin 10 // Sparkfun SD shield: pin 8 const int chipSelect = 8; // Create a file to store the data File myFile; // RTC RTC_DS1307 rtc; void setup() { //initializing the DHT sensor dht.begin(); //initializing Serial monitor Serial.begin(9600); // setup for the RTC while(!Serial); // for Leonardo/Micro/Zero if(! rtc.begin()) { Serial.println("Couldn't find RTC"); while (1); } else { // following line sets the RTC to the date & time this sketch was compiled rtc.adjust(DateTime(F(__DATE__), F(__TIME__))); } if(! rtc.isrunning()) { Serial.println("RTC is NOT running!"); } // setup for the SD card Serial.print("Initializing SD card..."); if(!SD.begin(chipSelect)) { Serial.println("initialization failed!"); return; } Serial.println("initialization done."); //open file myFile=SD.open("DATA.txt", FILE_WRITE); // if the file opened ok, write to it: if (myFile) { Serial.println("File opened ok"); // print the headings for our data myFile.println("Date,Time,Temperature ºC, Humidity %"); } myFile.close(); lcd.begin(16, 2); lcd.createChar(1, degree); lcd.clear(); lcd.print(" Humidity "); lcd.setCursor(0,1); lcd.print(" Measurement "); delay(2000); lcd.clear(); lcd.print("Weedabix @ GR420 "); delay(2000); } void loggingTime() { DateTime now = rtc.now(); myFile = SD.open("DATA.txt", FILE_WRITE); if (myFile) { myFile.print(now.year(), DEC); myFile.print('/'); myFile.print(now.month(), DEC); myFile.print('/'); myFile.print(now.day(), DEC); myFile.print(','); myFile.print(now.hour(), DEC); myFile.print(':'); myFile.print(now.minute(), DEC); myFile.print(':'); myFile.print(now.second(), DEC); myFile.print(","); } Serial.print(now.year(), DEC); Serial.print('/'); Serial.print(now.month(), DEC); Serial.print('/'); Serial.println(now.day(), DEC); Serial.print(now.hour(), DEC); Serial.print(':'); Serial.print(now.minute(), DEC); Serial.print(':'); Serial.println(now.second(), DEC); myFile.close(); delay(1000); } void loggingTemperature() { // Reading temperature or humidity takes about 250 milliseconds! // Sensor readings may also be up to 2 seconds 'old' (its a very slow sensor) // Read temperature as Celsius float t = dht.readTemperature(); // Read temperature as Fahrenheit //float f = dht.readTemperature(true); // Check if any reads failed and exit early (to try again). if (isnan(t) /*|| isnan(f)*/) { Serial.println("Failed to read from DHT sensor!"); return; } //debugging purposes Serial.print("Temperature: "); Serial.print(t); Serial.println(" *C"); //Serial.print(f); //Serial.println(" *F\t"); myFile = SD.open("DATA.txt", FILE_WRITE); if (myFile) { Serial.println("open with success"); myFile.print(t); myFile.println(","); } myFile.close(); delay(1000); } void loggingHumidity() { // Reading temperature or humidity takes about 250 milliseconds! // Sensor readings may also be up to 2 seconds 'old' (its a very slow sensor) // Read temperature as Celsius float h = dht.readHumidity(); // Check if any reads failed and exit early (to try again). if (isnan(h) /*|| isnan(f)*/) { Serial.println("Failed to read from DHT sensor!"); return; } //debugging purposes Serial.print("Humidity: "); Serial.print(h); Serial.println(" %"); myFile = SD.open("DATA.txt", FILE_WRITE); if (myFile) { Serial.println("open with success"); myFile.print(h); myFile.println(","); } myFile.close(); delay(1000); } void printingData(){ float h = dht.readHumidity(); // Check if any reads failed and exit early (to try again). if (isnan(h) /*|| isnan(f)*/) { Serial.println("Failed to read from DHT sensor!"); return; } //debugging purposes Serial.print("Humidity: "); Serial.print(h); Serial.println(" %"); float t = dht.readTemperature(); // Read temperature as Fahrenheit //float f = dht.readTemperature(true); // Check if any reads failed and exit early (to try again). if (isnan(t) /*|| isnan(f)*/) { Serial.println("Failed to read from DHT sensor!"); return; } //debugging purposes Serial.print("Temperature: "); Serial.print(t); Serial.println(" *C"); //Serial.print(f); //Serial.println(" *F\t"); lcd.setCursor(0,0); lcd.print("Humidity: "); lcd.print(h); // printing Humidity on LCD lcd.print(" %"); lcd.setCursor(0,1); lcd.print("Temperature:"); lcd.print(t); // Printing temperature on LCD lcd.write(1); lcd.print("C"); delay(500); } void loop() { loggingTime(); loggingTemperature(); delay(4000); loggingHumidity(); printingData(); delay(25000); }
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/15/2020 4:02 pm
+ Show 1 comments
hysenbud
New Grower

Alright, not a huge change from the last pics, all the ceiling rigid insulation is in and all the rough electrical is done. Flower area is FRPed, caulked, and door installed.

Cannabis Grow Ceiling
Cannabis Grow Flower

The pocket door is in creating a separate area, finally decided on what to do for the the water system and ordered that stuff. Starting drywall today. 

Cannabis Grow Entry Door
Cannabis Grow Pocket Door
Cannabis Grow Window

Also got a little impatient and started some plants in a different area 😬 . I followed Dr. Coco's advice on the CFL's, I just used the light sockets from clamp work lights. Already had a couple and had to buy some, $6.46 at Home Depot. If you did have to buy everything, it would be roughly $36 for this set up including the cost of the light bulbs. Also found a temp/humidity/pressure wifi sensor (Ecowitt) setup on Amazon, it was $46 for the gateway and one extra sensor, it can support up to 8 sensors and each additional sensor is $13. So for about $60 I am monitoring 3 spots in the tent and have the ability to see it on my phone, you can set it up through their website for email alerts for different parameters and it can log data, I have not done that part yet, but am happy with the product. There is nothing sexy about it, extremely basic app. 

Cannabis Grow Lights

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/24/2020 5:55 am Green Mountain and weedabix liked
+ Show 2 comments
weedabix
Eminent Member
Cannabis Fan

So I am slowly getting there - I had a few stupid hickups... such as bad cables, bad contacts or me just accidentally pulling out a cable! But now finally it's been running a bit and the data looks ok!
So this is the data:

Cannabis Grow example data 200130

temperature and humidity are straight forward... these somewhat make sense...
The light intensity is the percentage of an arbitrary value. And plotted is only the minimum of each our. This means that if the light value is 0 - lights are off, if it's close to 98% lights are on and if it's somewhere in the middle, I had only another white light on at any point in that hour e.g. when I was opening the tent to look after them.
The height measures the hight from a sensor to the light - the sensor is currently ca 5cm above the plants together with the light sensor... the humidity and temperature were measured at the height of the pots.
This is the setup:

Cannabis Grow IMG 2787

Next steps:
- barometer (to check the fan's working)
- soil humidity sensor (for the fun of it)
- connect it to a server
- solder it
- put it in a box (I have to find a good box for it G3!)

So yes, i'd like to make it a bit more permanent but I have no illusions about the accuracy of the whole thing - but I'm pretty sure my chinese thermometer for 5 quid probably uses the same or cheaper components! And in the end it's not necessary and more a cool thing to play around with.

Fun times ahead!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/31/2020 2:26 am
weedabix
Eminent Member
Cannabis Fan

it seems the figure with the data didn't work... 

here it is again: 

Cannabis Grow example data 200130

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/31/2020 2:31 am

Hey Growers!

I'm sitting here watching the live feed to my grow tent enjoying my Kush and coffee (favorite combo) and I figured I give you all update on my auto draining saucer design/ build and the budget and the lessons I 1have learned!

Ill start by saying this is not my design specifically. It is a customized version of the Auto Drain saucers on website here. Link : https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/diy-self-draining-saucers/

But of course, we make our own changes to other designs to make them fit for our garden or setup. My main issue with this design was finding saucers durable enough hold a 3 gallon bag of wet coco and a plant without breaking the damn bank!

As I reached out to chat about saucers others used, a little bird piped up and said "Did you check your local dollar store?"

Followed by a "im such an idiot" moment, I dashed to the local dollar store and found something that would work perfect!

I picked up 2 white dish pans for $2.50 CAD.
Grabbed some mesh washers ( $3.99) from Canadian tire as well as some 5 Gallon Bucket debris strainers ($6.99) I probably could have used a different method to elevate the pots but my I also like my builds to have as clean cut of look to them as possible, so i splurged on the debris strainers. They were also large enough to hold a 3 Gal Pot full of coco which was a main seller! I drilled holed about 7/16"  for the tubing to fit through in the bottom dish pan about 1 - 1/2" from the bottom. I drilled another hole with a small step bit on the bottom side of one end of the top dishpan.  I grabbed some 3/8" tubing and used super glue to attach the mesh washers. Once set I used Gorilla Glue Gel to make a seal around the washer to ensure no leakage. I then glued the mesh washer to the underside of the top dishpan having only the mesh sticking through the pan bottom to filter the runoff water and keep the drain tubing and collector clean. Again used gorilla glue gel to seal the washer edge. (Be patient when gluing make sure everything is full cured before moving forward)
I placed 1 debris strainer into the bottom dish pan, placed the second dish pan with the washer and tubing through the bottom dish pan hole, as it sits on the bottom debris strainer. The second debris strainer is placed inside the top dishpan to elevate the plant.

I wanted to give the dishpans some handles as well as give the entire build some support. I found a plastic file crate ($11.99) at my local hardware store which was the last one left, which i was unaware. I used it for the prototype and when I went to get more they were discontinued! Luckily amazon had some! They were in white instead of black! That is a bonus as the white will bounce light instead of the black absorbing it. I used the crate to support the saucers as well as give myself some handles for handling. The dishpans were quiet durable for a cheap dollar store build but the square crate will give the plants structure and space between each other! I used a 3/8" T barb fitting outside the crate to create airflow in the tubing to promote drainage. I secured it with zip-ties up the side. 

The Prototype

The New White Baskets!!

From the saucers the 3/8" hose is graded slowly to a new clean 10 quart Oil Collection Container. I placed it below the plant shelf to allow for grading to the collector. I drilled 7/16" holes at the top of the container and inserted some plastic grommets. I then purchased some 3/8" barbed elbow fittings which screwed tightly into the grommet holes. I then took all 3/8" drain hoses from the saucers and connected them one by one to the collector. I used the built in drain and used some leftover bushings to bush down to 1/2" barbed elbow that then grades out of the tent to drainage. The wide mouth top allows me for easier runoff measurements. The design in having separate hose connections to the collector allows myself  to measure runoff from an individual plant at anytime.

|

The Final Product ^^

Overall I happy with the design, it drains nicely due to the air flow from the T, the white color of the pans and crate make it a sharp looking Auto -Pan!  I like the white pan as I find it easy to see if the pan needs to be to be cleaned. The 12" x 12" footprint may not be ideal for others but I believe it will allow my plants enough space (Including a trellis net) to grow in there own space! My plants are elevated on a 24" x 36" x 12" plastic storage shelving that cut to my desired height. This allows for enough grade for the plants to the collector as well as the collector to grade out of the tent opening.
In total one auto-drain saucer cost approximately $15.00 without the crates, Approx. $25.00 with the crates. I feel the crates are worth the cost as they look sexy and add some nice structure!
Thanks for reading growers! Hope you enjoyed my take on the auto- drain saucers.
Until Next Time, Happy Growing
TNH

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 8:41 am hysenbud, 3one, Chefomj and 1 people liked