Forum

ADDing Silica

Louis D
  Louis D
Eminent Member Charter Member
Proven Grower

I know we are supposed to add silica to the water and then let it sit and disolve  then add nutrients , I got my automatic feeder up and running two weeks ago I have a 30 gallon res but only fill to 20 gallons. My problem is that I haven't emptied the res except to clean it its always had some water and nutes in it so I haven't added any Silica .I was thinking could I fill a 5 gallon bucket with enough silica for 20 gallons let it sit for a couple of hours then add it to my Res  so far I haven't seen any signs of a deficiency 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/30/2018 3:10 am
+ Show 3 comments
Dr Coco
  Dr Coco
(@dr-coco)
Moderator Admin
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

Hey @oldjarhead100 I think you may have to make a bigger change to how you mix nutes! It sounds like you are mixing them directly in the reservoir?

When you top-off a reservoir it should always be with premixed nutrient solution which was mixed separately in a different container.

Just get a different bucket, fill it with plain water - add the silica then everything else - adjust pH and EC - then dump the whole bucket into the Res. It is a good idea to test the pH and EC of the Res again at that point.

You should really only do this for up to a week before you clean out the tank completely. You may be able to push it to 10-12 days with very good oxygenation, but weekly cleanouts should be part of the plan!

Be sure to check out my article: How to manage automatic watering systems

Much Grower Love!

Let's Grow Together
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/30/2018 8:53 am Mangrow Goodbud and Woop liked
Woop
  Woop
Reputable Member
Practicing Grower

@dr-coco I didn't even think of this! I was thinking I would just fill and mix nutes in my reservoir and ph and EC check from there. So, I am going with the 10-gallon bucket from the article, I am guessing with the siphon effect line being about half the container that I will have about 5 gallons of water to last me the week until weekly reservoir cleaning commences. So, you are saying before adding the maximum amount of water to the res, to have it completely mixed with desired nutes, PH balanced, Proper EC then pour into the reservoir? I do have a couple of 5-gallon buckets that I can use to mix nutes prior to adding to the reservoir but just curious as to why this method? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/30/2018 9:14 am Dr Coco liked
Dr Coco
  Dr Coco
(@dr-coco)
Moderator Admin
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

@woopass and @oldjarhead100 

Yes, this method is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL 

It is because the order matters! For example, you cannot add silica to water that already has dissolved salts in it because then the silica will not dissolve. If you add Micro to water that already has Bloom in it you could cause a lockout. 

Nutrients must be added in the appropriate order to CLEAN WATER. Never add nutrients individually to a solution that is already prepared - even if it is very dilute.

Silica into Clean Water!

CalMag into water that only has silica!

Micro into water that DOES NOT have ANY Bloom in it!

I am glad that this issue was raised! It is Extremely important!

Let's Grow Together
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/30/2018 9:38 am bubble bubble, Boddysurfer, Californiakid and 2 people liked
+ Show 4 comments
Louis D
  Louis D
Proven Grower

OK I read all the tutorials and I could not find where it says not to mix nutes in the res .right now thats beside the point. I am fertigating 4 times a day and I use a 20 gallon res ,it will hold more ,what I'm confused about is mixing nutes in a 5 gallon bucket, If I mix nutrients for 5 gallons then poor it in the res it is diluted with 15 more gallons of water , If I mix nutes for 20 gallons in the 5 gallon bucket  then the ec wont be right until I pour it in the res. Right now I am using 5 to 10 gallon fabric pots next grow I am switching to 3 gallon fabric pots ,so I will be able to reduce my overall water needs but for now they are getting about 3 to 4 gallons per fertigation event this give runoff on all plants 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/31/2018 3:27 am
Louis D
  Louis D
Proven Grower

I think your talking about just adding nutes to top off the res ,I'm talking about when the res is almost empty .when I fill my res it will last for 4 or 5 fertigations so when I go down it will only have enough water to do one more fertigation event ,so I'm basically filling the res from empty 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/31/2018 3:33 am
Dr Coco
  Dr Coco
(@dr-coco)
Moderator Admin
Expert Grower
Completed Grows

@oldjarhead100

I will add a specific note about this. I believe it is implied by the fact that you cannot add nutes out of order. If there is already nutes in the water then you cannot add nutes individually at the end.

There are two acceptable/preferred options:

1. You could mix each batch of nutes independently. This is what I do. I mix each 5 gallon bucket to it's own specifications. I then add it to the res. I sometimes have to mix two buckets to fill the res - sounds like you may have to do even more. But each bucket is mixed to the correct EC and pH.

2. You could mix a strong batch and the dilute it in the reservoir. So put all the nutes for the total number of gallons into the first five gallon bucket of water. Add that to the Res, then dilute the solution to the appropriate EC - then adjust the pH. It is perfectly fine to add water like this to a strong solution. What is not OK is adding nutrients individually out of order to a solution that already has nutrients in it.

I hope this helps clarify!

Grower Love

Let's Grow Together
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/31/2018 9:03 am Mangrow Goodbud, Chefomj and Californiakid liked
+ Show 2 comments
Louis D
  Louis D
Proven Grower

@Dr.Coco the following is a list of my nutrients I use Age old organics and the order I use them , I had some confusion you use GH Micro I didn't know what was in that and base nutrients to me .grow and bloom are base nutrients .I also scrubbed the res and added nutrients in a premixed 5 gallon bucket then added the next 15 gallons , I'm sorry for all the confusion and Thank you for you help

Silica Blast

GH Calimajic

Micro synergy,

Kelp,fish and seaweed

Grow/Bloom

bloom boosters. G10,open sesame,Terpinator

Humic acid

sm90

hydrogaurd

This was all done by memory but I will update if I forgot something 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2019 3:46 am Dr Coco liked
+ Show 2 comments
Louis D
  Louis D
Proven Grower

I have a plant that wilted over night and I checked run off ec very high 2180 so I flushed with water and flora clean until ec was under 1000 my res was 935 yesterday and I checked it today for shits and grins holy shit it was over 3200 I added water to bring it down to 1200 using a 30 gallon rubbish bin and I had to fill it to the top to get it down to 1200 should I drain and clean res I just did that on Sat but will do it again what would cause that any ideas I'm  I calibrated ec pin still the same what would cause this 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2019 8:59 am
+ Show 4 comments
Louis D
  Louis D
Proven Grower

yep just one lol so I make oil by mixing 160 to 190 proof alcohol ,I have been doing this out in the barn in a rice cooker with no problems so I was thinking of making something to reclaim  the alcohol  , When they make moonshine they  evaporate the alcohol then run the vaper though a copper coil so it will condense into a liquid again and I should be able to reuse it, now I have a galvanized bucket about 15 gallons and I want to solder the copper tubing to the bottom then put it over the rice cooker ,In theory it should keep all the fumes from the alcohol inside the bucket until they can travel into the condensing coil and then back into a glass jug , I have 3 jugs ready to go I am going to do it in the barn but I am going to close it up and see if I can smell any alcohol before I try using it in the cellar .that is my eventual goal but I would rather not blow up my house lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2019 9:12 am Chefomj and Dr Coco liked
MAMMON
  MAMMON
Expert Grower

Grab a small glass and pour a little calmag in then a little silica and it instantly turns to pudding. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/31/2019 6:19 am
tacuaremjoe
Cannabis Fan

Silica into Clean Water!

CalMag into water that only has silica!

Micro into water that DOES NOT have ANY Bloom in it!

I am glad that this issue was raised! It is Extremely important!

If i want to add epsom would i add it after the silica and before the calmag? maybe after the silica and calmag?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/20/2019 4:00 am
+ Show 1 comments (1 unread comment)