Page 5 / 5 Prev
berkshirebud
Esteemed Member CfC Advisor
Known Grower
Completed Grows
First harvest! No, not really.
Day: 89
Flower Day: 35

My cable tie on the timer seems to have solved the intermittent problem. They really need this timer to have a  green LED that lights up when it is plugged into the power, so we will know if it is unplugged. The replacement timer Amazon sent me arrived. I'll just pay for it as I can always use another timer. I just need another power strip to be able to swap out  the old manual timer for my lights.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7032

I'm in that stage of the grow where all I do is mix up nutrients occasionally, refill the reservoir, and check once a day to make sure everyone is healthy and happy. Occasionally I check the outflow EC, but mostly this is the hands off part of the grow while the buds put on bulk. About two more weeks of late bloom (possibly a bit longer for the sour diesel), then ripen and flush. The tent smells heavenly every time I open it, making me realize how good a job that charcoal filter is doing!

About that "first harvest" comment in the subject line. I realized that there were still some small branches that will never make it to the canopy, so I snipped most of them off this morning. There are still more, but my knees were hurting me. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7031

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2020 10:25 am Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
More timer trouble
Day: 93
Flower Day: 39

I was wrong. Went to check the reservoir level 24-hours after filling, and it is still full. Apparently the timer worked for about 3 days and then stopped again. So maybe it really is defective. I manually fertigate double to get runoff from everyone, replace the defective timer with the new one Amazon sent me, and setup the new one on the evening of 7/3. Keeping a close eye on the reservoir, I refill it the evening of 7/4, and again the evening of 7/5. So far, so good. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7099

Just a couple of more weeks for the Grapefruit. The buds grew very fast at first, but have sort of stalled. I guess I should be glad she is doing as well as she is, given the way I rushed her through veg with almost 2 weeks less time than the sour diesels! Fortunately, she is pretty fast-flowering.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7093

And maybe a bit longer for the Sour Diesels. Those buds keep getting bigger.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7092
Cannabis Grow IMG 7095
Cannabis Grow IMG 7094

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2020 8:49 pm Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Delarfing
Day: 96
Flower Day: 42

The jungle is still impenetrable.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7116

I have been pruning small lower branches to increase airflow, but a comment by @drphoton over on the To Defoliate or Not To Defoliate article made me realize that I still have many larfy branches that will never make it to the canopy and that are just acting as sinks for photosynthate, which would otherwise be going to the colas. I would rather have that mass on the developing colas than on a bunch of airy popcorn buds. So every time I open the tent, I spend a few minutes removing more lower branches. 

I'm drying them on trays, and I'll make extracts from them. I'll take a photo later. Forgot to do that when I was over in the grow room.

Meanwhile, the Grapefruit is looking alright, although I am disappointed in the size of the colas. They developed so fast, but never really put on much size.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7118

Rather than continue with a compromise date between the Linda Seeds grapefruit (6-8 week flowering) and the Bulk Seed Bank sour diesels (8-10 weeks flowering), I am considering switching her to hand fertigating so I can switch her to ripening nutrients now and keep the sour diesels on late bloom for at least another week.

The grapefruit trichomes are mostly clear, but showing a hint of clouding, so I think the schedule is right that it is time to be ripening her. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7107

I also want to give the Sour Diesels as much time to pack on weight as they can, especially as I continue the delarfing process. Despite having too many flowering stems for the area, they are doing a wonderful job. Especially Diesel (SD2)!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7117

Okay. I've convinced myself. At lights on tonight, I'll shut off the valve to the GF, reprogram the timer for just the two sour diesels, and start twice-a-day hand-fertigating Pamplemousse with Ripen nutrient solution. I'll keep a close eye on her trichomes, and as soon as I see amber I'll start her flush and get ready to harvest!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2020 8:35 am Tropa and Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Ripening grapefruit
Day: 102
Flower Day: 48

Plants are healthy overall. Sour diesels are starting to show some nutrient effects of the excess P and K from the liquid KoolBloom bloom booster, but they should make it to harvest in two weeks just fine.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7157

Some of the sour diesel colas are continuing to pack on bulk, especially on SD2 (Diesel). I will definitely try to keep cloning that phenotype.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7160 (1)

Not as much mass in the Grapefruit colas, but they still look tasty.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7171
Cannabis Grow IMG 7161 (1)

The trichomes are looking mostly cloudy, with just some early hints of amber. I felt like they needed a bit more time before flushing, so I posted the photo below in the chatroom the other day and asked for opinions. Professional grower @limonene suggested 3-4 more days, which made me feel good that my instincts were correct. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7178

I am hand-watering Pamplemousse with ripen nutrients now and have a day or two left of those already mixed up. Once they run out, I'll start flushing (probably tomorrow) and likely harvest on Sunday! Which means setting up a drying area on Saturday. I am running out of fans, because the window fan I usually use for exhausting the room I want to dry in is in the greenhouse providing airflow over the leaves on hot days. I'll have to scour my storage spaces and see if I can find any more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/14/2020 7:27 am Tropa and Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Flush
Day: 106
Flower Day: 52

Started flushing the Grapefruit on Day 103, using well water (EC 120) and GH FloraKleen. Been flushing for a couple of days now, and outflow EC was down to 280µS/cm last night. I think I am no schedule to harvest and trim in another day or so, but I am waiting to see the amount of amber in the trichomes that I would like.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7230

Although small, with just a bit of foxtailing starting, the buds are nice and frosty.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7199
Cannabis Grow IMG 7200

Meanwhile, SD2 continues on track to make some almost beer-bottle-sized colas, while SD1 is making smaller, but more numerous buds.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7231
Cannabis Grow IMG 7234

This morning, I switch the Sour Diesels to Ripen nutrients for their final week or so. My hope is that they are finished and flushed by August 1st, so I can clean the tent and get things moved and setup for the Plant Training Grow Challenge! Have to setup an AC and clean the old grow space this weekend in preparation for drying and then moving the tent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/18/2020 7:05 am Rusty liked
+ Show 1 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Chop. Trim. Dry.
Day: 109
Flower Day: 55

The time has finally arrived for the Grapefruit plant. Plenty of amber in those trichomes:

Cannabis Grow IMG 7265

One last picture.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7270

Then harvest stem-by-stem, pull the fan leaves, wet-trim the sugar leaves, and hang on a line.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7271

Hooked up the portable AC to bring down the RH. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7275

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/21/2020 5:20 pm Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Day: 110
Flower Day: 56

Grapefruit drying on the line. The portable AC is keeping the temperature at about 20°C and 59%.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7280

So now while it dries, all my attention is on the two sour diesels.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7294

Not much amber in the trichomes yet, and some are still clear.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7290
Cannabis Grow IMG 7286

And the colas are still increasing in size.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7298
Cannabis Grow IMG 7300

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/22/2020 6:18 pm Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Orange Diesel
Day: 112
Flower Day: 58

No real amber yet, but the smell is amazing and the plants are getting very sticky.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7316

The bloom booster (liquid Kool Bloom) is really taking effect, causing both flower growth and expected nutrient issues in the leaves (looks like N deficit with the high P K). I'll double check outflow EC tonight, but as long as they can keep photosynthesizing for another week, I'll be happy!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7303
Cannabis Grow IMG 7301

I am mesmerized by the bright orange color of these pistils, and I hope some of it lasts through the drying and curing process, though I expect they will just turn brown.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7308 (1)

All these photos are of Diesel (2020-G1-SD2) because she seems so much further along, but tonight I will try to remember to take some photomicrographs and photographs of Sour (SD1) as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/24/2020 11:41 am Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Surprise!
Day: 117
Flower Day: 63

Quick  update here.

I did remember to take some pictures of Sour. Here's a fun game. Match the trichomes to the plant!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7379 COLLAGE

If you think the over-ripe, heavy-to-amber "B" trichomes are from SD-2 with her lovely big colas that are looking so ripe...

Cannabis Grow IMG 7428

you would be in good company. But SD-2 is still showing clear and cloudy, with no amber (trichomes A). SD-1, on the other hand, was ready to harvest when I took those pics on day 114 (flower day 60), so I've been doing a quick flush and will harvest her tonight.

This morning, I started flushing  SD-2 as well, and will harvest at the end of the week.

Oh,  and Pamplemousse,  the Grapefruit, ended up producing 82 grams of flowers and 49 grams of trim. That's not a huge yield, but given how she was started late, rushed through  veg, and then too far from the light after the stretch due to her shorter stature, I am quite satisfied with the yield. The buds are curing in jars now. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7399

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/29/2020 1:21 pm Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Harvested: 08/01/2020
Total Days: 120
Flower Days: 66

Final Harvest tonight of the last plant in the tent, "Diesel". 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7473

Some nice colas coming  off this plant.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7482

Here's the full harvest of both of the sour diesels. 

Cannabis Grow IMG 7480

I saved the best for last.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7475

Here it is, the biggest cola, all trimmed up.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7477

I will  update once they are dried and weighed and in the jars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2020 7:36 pm Rusty liked
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Still waiting for Diesel to finish drying to get a total for the grow. With Tropical Storm Isaias and some cool  nights,  the RH  in the drying  room was a bit high, so the drying  stalled mid-week. I had to switch to the dehumidifier,  because the AC  simply wasn't running (it got too cool). 

I was able to weigh and jar the buds from Sour, however, which added another 115 grams of flowers. Including the early larf that I trimmed off in July (which was quite pleasant to vape, once cured), the total from the first two plants is 210 grams. Diesel looks to be the heaviest of the three. My goal is to get 0.65 g/µmol usable PPF. I'm using Shane's field test for the SP250.  At 40-cm hanging height in a 2'x4' (60x120 cm) space, he calculated usable PPF of 423 µmol/s. The distance from the light to my plants varied from 40-cm (SD1 "Sour") to 30-cm (SD2 "Diesel") to about 50-cm  (GF "Pamplemousse")  due to the different plant heights, so I feel comfortable using Shane's number of 423 as a reasonable approximation of the usable PPF of my grow. 0.65 g/µmol x 423 µmol would be 275 grams. I'm sure that SD2 will bring me well over that benchmark, but you know  the saying: "Don't count your buds before they're dried."

I  will update in a day or two when I have the last buds weighed and in jars.

I'll be sure to weigh the Big One separately.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7476

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2020 8:07 pm CrackBabies and Rusty liked
+ Show 2 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Belt and suspenders

The RH in the "drying" room keeps creeping up to 65% when I have the AC on during the day. When I switch to the dehumidifier at night, the RH is fine, but the temperature is bit too warm, up to 22%. Because of all this see-sawing, the  buds from the last plant, Diesel, are drying very slowly (10  days so far). Clearly there is only one solution: turn on the AC and  the dehumidifier at the same time! Now, I think it will definitely be ready to weigh and jar tomorrow.

No pictures of the drying buds (who wants to watch buds dry?), so here's a picture I made of one of the lovely flowers on my Thai  basil. As I was getting the macro focus, I suddenly noticed a lovely, color-coordinated,  pink inchworm!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7535

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2020 3:39 pm
berkshirebud
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Done!

Thanks so much for sticking with me to the end of my grow! And thanks to everyone for all your help learning about indoor growing. I won't start listing names, because I will probably forget someone and feel really bad. 

I'll start with Diesel's big cola. Here it is all dried.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7569 (1)

It weighed in at 15 grams for big bud, and another 5 grams for the  little nugs that fell off. A half-ounce in one bud is pretty nice. That's big enough for a Cheech & Chong sized one-hitter!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7570

Best tray of cookies I've ever made!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7572

And it took 4 jars to hold them all!

Cannabis Grow IMG 7573

And here is the full harvest of the grapefruit and two sour diesels. The jars on the left are trim that I'll use for extracts.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7575

I ended up with the following:

• GF - 67 grams of good buds, 15g larf, 14g trim, 35g fans
  • SD1 - 115 grams of good buds, 13g larf, 18g trim, 49 fans
  • SD2 - 129 grams of good buds, 5g larf,  19g trim, 41 fans.

That's a total of 311 grams of good buds, and 33 grams of larf. The trim I will  use for extracts. I want to experiment with the fans to try to add more flavors to the extracts.

Shane at Migro did a PAR test of the Mars Hydro SP250 in a 2x4 space, hung at 16" (41-cm), which about where my light was (depending on the height of the plant). He came up with 423 µmol of usable PPF.

So, 311 grams/423 µmol is 0.74 g/µmol. Given that my goal was 0.65 g/µmol, I am absolutely thrilled.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2020 5:26 pm Brain Strap OG liked
Page 5 / 5 Prev