Forum

Phantom OG - Barneys Farm

Page 1 / 2 Next
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

Hey guys, this is not only my first grow journal but also my first grow, which began at the beginning of May. I only recently discovered this website within the last few days and thought I'd document the remainder of my grow as I'm only on day 11. I have learned a few things already in my short almost two weeks of growing that I'll be changing in the future (like starting in small pots).

To get the journal up to date I germinated 5 seeds starting April 29th first by soaking for 18 hours in a jar placed in warm dark room followed by soaking in a wet paper towel for 48 hours, also in a warm dark room. On May 2nd with a 100% germination rate I planted 3 seedlings into 3, 5 gallon coco-coir/perlite (70/30) mix in a 36x36x72" vivosun grow tent. For the first week the seedlings were fed nothing but tap water ppm135 pH 6.0. The plants are on an 18/6 light schedule hanging at 33" using a Kind LED XL600 model. Beginning on day 8 I began feeding with the general hydroponics micro/gro/bloom nutrient line following the feed schedule provided by Dr. Coco. I'm also adding cal-mag, GH silicon and humic acid and hand-watering twice daily.

The tent is ventillated with a can-fan exhaust fan and phat carbon filter. I've added a compact humidifier and heater, which are plugged into an Inkbird RH/Temp controller and maintains a climate of 65-70 RH and 70-75 degrees. I currently have one 6" fan helping to circulate air within the grow space.

I plan to mainline the three plants and switch to flower before they grow too large for the tent. Looking forward to where these end up! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2020 5:43 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

Day 16 and the plants are looking healthy and strong. I noticed some significant "kinking" in two of the plants first serated leaves, which was given a diagnosis of early calmag deficiency (with the aid of experienced growers). Because the deficiency was localized only to the first serated leaves and that the first set of triple leaves appeared to be unnaffected, I made no changes to my feed and continued to press on. This seems to have been the right call as the triple leaves are exploding with growth, looking good and already starting on the third node. I think this deficiency could be the result of my first week of the plants life as I watered with nothing but plain water pHed to 6.5. Other than that the plants seem to be handling well and I'm excited to continue week 3 of veg.  The plants are already working on their third nodes and growing quick. Humidity has increased in the tent, which has allowed me to discontinue the use of a second humidifier that I had running constantly in conjunction with a second that is controlled by a RH monitor. 

I also installed the DIY automatic watering system, which is working great. I make about a 20 gallon reservoir which lasts quite a few days. I also added the perfect pH inline system from Torus Hydro, which will maintain my reservoir between 5.7 and 6.2. This will be a huge asset for any time I'm away from home where I can leave the grow mostly hands off for a a couple of days without much supervision. This set up also will also allow me to fertigate 3 times daily to increase my benefits of coco.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7879
Cannabis Grow IMG 7878
Cannabis Grow IMG 7876

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/17/2020 4:42 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

The plants received their first topping on Monday, May 25th (day 24). They were cut just beneath the fourth node and left with only the stalks from the third node and fan leaves to set up for a mainline. Plants are continuing to be fertigated three times daily, 7AM, 2PM, and 9PM, each for 10-15 seconds, which allows for adequate runoff to accumulate. pH is mantained between 5.7 - 6.2 by the inline perfect pH system, which it check intermittently. PPM has been maintained at 600-650 and runoff PPM sits around 500-600. Once or twice a week I hand water thoroughly with a half gallon of nutrient feed diluted to 400PPM to help clear the coco of any residual salt build up. 

RH has been maintained at 60-65% and temperature has been sitting up at 80-85 over the last few days as the weather continues to warm outside. 

Last night I noticed that one of my stalks had snapped as a result of me pushing down lightly on the stalks to push them apart (Pictured). I attempted to wrap the stalk in plastic wrap to hold it in place and hopefully have it recover, however this morning it had shriveled to almost nothing. This was disappointing, however it may work out in the end as I only have a 3x3x6ft space. I am hopeful that I will still be able to fill out the tent and have a healthy harvest. 

The new stalks are now beginning to grow past their second node and are well on their way to their fourth when I will top again. 

Image descriptions: Plants before and after topping (first 4) - Broken stalk - Plants today

Cannabis Grow IMG 7894
Cannabis Grow IMG 7911
Cannabis Grow IMG 7893
Cannabis Grow IMG 7910
Cannabis Grow IMG 7914
Cannabis Grow IMG 7919
Cannabis Grow IMG 7918

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/29/2020 1:27 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

Day 30 and the plants are moving right along. I've super cropped the two mainline stalks that remained from the first topping on each plant and secure them down. After 24 hours the plants regained their upward vigor and are quickly continuing their upward trajectory. 

The plant that lost the first mainline stalk is continuing to give me some small issues, but none that seem overly detrimental. First issue is that there is a small crack (pictured) at the base of the stalk. This was the same issue as the previous stalk, however this break is much more contained. I am not planning to wrap it due to its akward location and because I am too concerned that I may further agitate the branch and cause further damage in the process of wrapping. I believe my best choice will be to leave it untouched and allow it to heal itself as it would in nature. 

This plant also has a leaf that is showing some signs of trouble, however the issues are confined only to that one single leaf. The rest of the plant looks to be healthy and thriving, so I'm not sure exactly what to make of this. Runoff EC reads at 450PPM and my input has remained at a steady 600PPM. There is no direct airflow via a fan that could be damaging the plant. My only thought is that the positioning of my humidifiers vent may cause the vapor to drift primarily towards that single leaf, but this seems unlikely as I would expect some other adverse effects on the surrounding leaves. Unless this issue begins to spread away from this leaf, I will continue as usual. 

The rest of the plants seem healthy and have reached their third node, so I gave them their second topping this morning. Additionally, all new growth tips beneath the third node of these stalks were clipped, as per the mainline training guide found on this site. Hopefully they will be able to receive their third and final topping in the next few days to complete the mainline. I will continue to train the plants as they grow along. They received a thorough hand watering today with a half gallon of normal feed each to clear residual salts.

Cannabis Grow IMG 7936
Cannabis Grow IMG 7935
Cannabis Grow IMG 7932
Cannabis Grow IMG 7927
Cannabis Grow IMG 7928
Cannabis Grow IMG 7929

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/31/2020 5:26 am
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

Day 34 and the plants are growing large. Earlier breaks in the main stalks have healed over nicely and the supercropped points are beginning to thicken. I am noticing some signs of nitrogen toxicity indicated by the dark green shiny vegetation and the crow tipped leaves. Last night I gave all the plants a hand watering with a half gallon of water at 600ppm pH to 6.2 to flush residual salt build up. The plants run off EC registered at 550ppm. Today I am lowering the EC of my reservoir to 550ppm and will continue to provide longer periods of fertigation to each plant. 

The growth tips that remained from the third topping did not explode as I had antipicated. Last night I could tell that they were going to begin a growth spurt, and have shown some more rapid growth over the last day, however I am still likely a few days away from my third and final mainline topping. I have been fertigating 3x daily but I am considering increasing this to 5x daily. All in all the plants seem to be doing okay minus the nitrogen toxicity, hopefully the extra fertigations and decrease in EC will improve the plants. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 6:08 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

The plants received their third and final topping today to finish the mainline. I have been fertigating for 25 seconds 3x a day and am monitoring for any improvement or decline in the plants. The plants don’t seem to have made any significant improvement over the last 2 days. 

Cannabis Grow A4C98D0A 3625 44AE 865C 7CF40A300998
Cannabis Grow B3635757 F7E5 4FBB A428 0A173F079B2E
Cannabis Grow CF312EE4 39FC 4800 B586 47B93EB120CD
Cannabis Grow 2405792F 6538 4C4D B7A2 47E811D800F9

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 1:27 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower

Today I super cropped the 4 stalks on each plant from the second topping to help spread the canopy wide. After discussing my nutrient concerns with Dr. Coco, I found that the nitrogen toxicity and cal/mag deficiency was the result of my use of botanicares cal/mag supplment, and that this would cause me to walk a line between nitrogen tox and calmag deficiency. Luckily, this is not damaging to the plant and will work itself out during flower when I adjust my dosages. In light of this news, I will be increasing my EC back to 600PPM and ignoring the current deficiencies. 

Speaking of flower, because I only have 6ft of overhead grow space, Dr. Coco suggested that I begin my flip to flower, which I will be doing this week. Looking forward to see see the pistols poppoing.

Cannabis Grow 6C6C836C 2B16 4F44 8A1D 50C3A1625E72

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/06/2020 6:13 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 42
Flip Day: 1

I let the ladies veg one last week before flipping to flower this evening. I have adjusted the nutrient feed per Dr  Coco’s recommended recipe for the “flip to pistils” week and have an inflow EC of 600PPM, pH ranging from 5.9-6.5. The plants are coming along nicely and have responded well to the cali magic after discarding botanicares calmag solution  

I added some ducting to the rear bottom vent on the tent to allow passive airflow while allowing me to leave all other flaps closed to reduce light leakage. I will likely add a small booster fan to increase airflow as the negative pressure seems to be a little intense  I also installed some PVC pipe to help with the tent walls sucking in.

Cannabis Grow BB1F92D1 AEC6 4ABE 8561 61F468F8EAC2
Cannabis Grow F17F9342 6998 427D A73E 9AFEB9798209

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2020 3:57 pm Knut liked
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 48
Flip Day: 7

One week into a 12/12 light schedule and these plants are growing with some serious vigor. I lollipopped the bottom of the plant and added a lower canopy fan to increase airflow and help manage humidity. 

The ladies reached 20” this morning before I decided to supercrop in order to manage height and even out the canopy. Each stalk is supported by its own bamboo stake. I might consider adding in a trellis net down the road when managing the canopy height becomes more difficult and more critical. 

Input EC is at 590ppm and outflow EC has remained at 450+/- 50ppm. pH maintains a range of 5.8-6.2. RH 60-65, temps mostly between 75-80F but do increase up to 85-88 degrees on warmer days. Trimming some of the lower veg and adding a second fan definitely improved the heat issue. I plan to install a 12” oscillating fan for superior airflow above the canopy.

Overall the new growth has been rapid and appears to be incredibly healthy. I have not seen much evidence of pistils emerging but I’m hopeful that will be within the next few days. 

Cannabis Grow 0BC2CD1C 9AE4 4562 B5D1 B801653214E7
Cannabis Grow 61546FAA 8757 4F48 AD5C 1A3E234343B6
Cannabis Grow 6C89E2E7 E0A9 497A 88E3 3A21CBE1CE14
Cannabis Grow 2071196D EFBF 431C B265 F710D86131B9
Cannabis Grow A037D511 A2F8 4BFF 8469 A453D1E2D532

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/18/2020 6:30 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 55
Flip Day: 14

On day 9 of flower, the first plant popped her first pistils, but it took until day 12 for the remaining plants to pop and for the pistils to be spread throughout. The plants have recovered beautifully from their supercrop and many of the branches now have multiple new tops reaching for the light. I was really excited even just the following morning to see how much fuller the canopy looked. I applied one last application of organocide on day 11 of flower to fight against any possible molds/mildews as the canopy and tent fill. 

I removed the humidifier and will be relying on airflow via two 6" fans, one below the canopy and one above, to manage the humidity. On a mild day the rH will sit at 55-60rH but can get as high as 70 during a heat wave. I am hoping that good airflow, with my exhaust running at all times, will be enough to help get me through harvest without any serious issues. 

Inflow EC is at 570ppm and the plants appear to be handling well, pH continues to fluctuate between 5.5 - 6.4. 

Cannabis Grow 159CB595 00D4 47EC B604 A18162C60003
Cannabis Grow 1A978E3D 6E09 4242 9771 0D993E0E914A

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/25/2020 3:33 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 66
Flip Day: 25

Since my last update on day 14 of flower, the ladies have really shot up and started producing buds all over the place. Super cropping the plants early in the stretch paid off immensely as the plants have developed multiple new buds throughout with pretty even dominance.

With so much vegetation now crowding the tent, limiting my rH continued to be difficult. In order to fix this I pulled all three plants out of the tent for some pretty extensive defoliation. My goal was to leave as many fan leaves as possible, but allowing for better airflow was most important, especially with how hot it’s been this Summer  

This week I will be moving to the mid bloom nutrient recipe as per Dr. Coco’s guide. Overall the plants are extremely healthy, this strain is proving to be very easy to grow and keep happy as my only nutrient issues were my own fault and easily corrected (see previous posts). 

In two weeks I will be leaving for vacation and the plants will be left almost unattended for 10 days. I will have someone who will empty the runoff bucket and refill the nutrient reservoir, but I’m going to have to ensure that everything is dialed before I leave. I will likely conduct one last defoliation right before leaving while incorporating 3 6” fans that circulate air throughout the tent, plus an in-line exhaust fan. This will all be in an effort to ensure no mold or powdery mildew has an opportunity to take hold during this prolonged period of no observation.

If any of the more experienced growers have some other tips for making these 10 days go as smoothly as possible, I’d appreciate the input.  

Cannabis Grow C1A784F7 205B 4856 A455 AB4FDB0F2C77
Cannabis Grow B88EE621 8A3D 4475 AD7F 0EC8B4413F86
Cannabis Grow 2E2923F1 FD4B 414F 831E 28F3A0A17653
Cannabis Grow 29EC5795 0F44 427A 8002 2AF01CFB6721
Cannabis Grow D126E324 15C2 46BE 92A9 08C44DFA80BA

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2020 6:26 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 73
Flip Day: 32

Brief update on the ladies. They’re buds are forming nicely; beautiful bright orange pistils are beginning to form around the buds and the sugar leaves are looking very frosty. I’ve kept the input EC at around 600ppm, and the plants have been doing really well. I continue to hand water with a half gallon per plant about once a week. 

All three plants have also stopped stretching, which is a relief to me as I was concerned about how much headspace I had available. Luckily I only had to supercrop once at the beginning of flower and now I have a mostly even canopy with only a few runaway colas that sit about 16” from the light, which is fine by me. Overall the plants stretched about 20” after I super cropped them down to 12”, so they are now at about 32” and fit nicely in my space.

As I move later into flower I’m continuing to keep the airflow steady at all times. The rh usually sits around 65 on average. On a good day it’s as low as 55-60 but on humid days it can get up to 70 for a few hours. I’m hoping with my airflow I will be able to prevent any mold or mildew issues, but so far everything looks good. 

One thing that has really surprised me is how mild the smell has been. Sure when I open the tent I’m graced with a glorious scent, but it’s really not nearly as potent as I imagined...I’ve opened some jars that have stunk up the place much more than even these plants. Either way they are starting to frost and I’m so excited for these last few weeks as they mature  

Cannabis Grow 7AF9E6E9 A1A5 4698 8514 71F3E45D8B2E
Cannabis Grow 9AC5577E 129F 4DEA 85FB CD21DD683D85
Cannabis Grow 4DFA11E9 2B6B 4E82 B632 569DF1886D79
Cannabis Grow 68795E1C 6D47 4AB1 9DD7 579D4E0B5DD5

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/13/2020 1:37 pm Knut liked
+ Show 1 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 76
Flip Day: 35

Last update on the ladies before I head out of town for 8 full days. The buds are really coming in stronger now and are looking so delicious. They are giving off a very sweet aroma that comforts me every time I open the tent. 

Today all three plants received a very heavy defoliation. I understand that this is a very controversial practice, especially on this site, but I felt that it was imperative due to climate. Ideally, I would have let the leaves be, however we have had some humid days this summer, as I have mentioned. Being that I will be gone for an extended period without anyone directly interacting with the plants and monitoring them for any PM, mold, budrot, etc, I elected to rid the plants of most fan leaves in order to decrease the microclimates that may form in the dense canopy and allow good air movement. Today especially the humidity is at 73 inside the tent, even after a significant defol. 

A friend of mine will be keeping my reservoir topped off and run off bucket emptied, but the tent will not be opened until I return. I’m both nervous and excited to see what these buds look like when I return! Stay tuned...

Cannabis Grow C53B8878 D0B8 481F ACD6 C8A2F2DB53BD
Cannabis Grow 202AB617 CF53 47BA A2D3 78170E4DDE6C
Cannabis Grow C7BE8A5B 350E 4FF9 A911 115D93D5DD66
Cannabis Grow 826D391D 2AE1 4CDA AFB3 F2CFDF7A1979
Cannabis Grow 278953CE D9CB 4667 8595 C3D94B6D2A92

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/16/2020 4:49 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 87
Flip Day: 46

Today I returned from 10 full days away from my plants, only having one person empty my runoff collection bucket and top off my reservoir with buckets premixed by myself before leaving. It was a complete success. 

Buds are really swelling up and putting on some weight, which is really exciting. I will be switching the ladies feed to the final late bloom recipe and hope to start the final flush within the next two weeks. 

These buds seem to be very resilient against any mold or PM, although I’d imagine that my defoliation, organicide application before pistils, and adequate airflow all play a substantial role  the tent has still been maintaining high humidity despite my best efforts, so it’s glad to see no issues have developed, hopefully that remains the same over these last 2 weeks. 

I was recently introduced to budwashing after harvesting and before drying. I intend to at least wash a few branches in a mix of purified water, lemon juice, and baking soda and compare results. Supposedly this helps provide a superior smoke and quality without interfering with the resinous trichomes. 

I will plan to provide my next update likely when I begin the flush, unless there are any other notable developments. I plan to start conduct a few day to a week long flush when I begin seeing amber trichomes development. 

Cannabis Grow C80FD59D B913 4B9C 82E1 36E30462CAB4
Cannabis Grow 1B125F33 840B 4D18 97A9 A5F53D2B6C33
Cannabis Grow 4590658B CBD5 4D2C B125 93C79B55916A
Cannabis Grow DD2660AA D688 4BA9 A2A6 2F3FEC7B0884
Cannabis Grow 89258530 8FC9 40E3 80B7 9D16F4131377
Cannabis Grow 011C392D 7FBB 43F8 AA6D 50308685C3F4

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/27/2020 4:55 pm
howitzer55
Trusted Member
New Grower
Day: 92
Flip Day: 51

Didn’t plan on giving another update, but I got my new microscope in and was able to take some great trichome shots. Barney’s Farm suggests 55-65 days for flowering and based on the trichomes and some coloring on the leaves I feel that the harvest is approaching. 

One plant is beginning to show some yellowing in the leaves, which I’m attributing to the plants natural end of life cycle fade rather than any nutrient issues as I have no reason to think they would be deficient. Trichomes are really clouding up. There are certainly still some clear ones that need to mature so I will carry on this grow for at least this next week. I feel like I am seeing a very select few trichomes showing a translucent amber, but I’m not sure if that’s the trichome or some refraction of the orange pistils. If any experienced growers see this I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Humidity in the tent has been high 50s low 60s these last few days, which is a major relief to me as I approach the end of harvest. These buds have continued to demonstrate their resilience to any mold or mildew complications. Monday I will start the ladies on the ripen nutes and as soon as all of the trichs show first signs of amber I will begin the four day final flush and give another update. 

Cannabis Grow C4F3E2EC 0247 42FB BE1A D59DA742D960
Cannabis Grow D72A28F6 E8F1 44B7 8A36 A6BBF29C4C66
Cannabis Grow F0FEC242 2754 48B7 8757 B289965C21DF
Cannabis Grow 7AB03BD5 000C 4931 993F D73EAF1CDDA3
Cannabis Grow 9293D097 6783 47D6 A32D 469BB42E2BB8
Cannabis Grow 76ABAB79 7B21 4C74 8FEE 1AA03BAE21B9
Cannabis Grow CF838DED E039 45E6 8383 FF6AA1A60A5E

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2020 5:31 am
Page 1 / 2 Next