Pakistani Chitral Kush Seed Increase
Summary: I have 36 Pakistani Chitral Kush seeds from CSI Humboldt. I’m going to perform a seed increase (open pollination for genetic preservation)
Plan: Using a Sea Of Green, I’m going to grow about a dozen plants from seed, take them to flower ASAP, and place them back into a vegetative light cycle once pollination occurs. I will harvest the plants based on seed maturity.
Space/Equipment: I’m going to try to contain these plants to a 2’x2’x4’ tent. I will probably use an HLG 65 v2, but I can swap in an HLG 100 4k or 3k if necessary, and I also have a 3’x3’ tent I can use if the plants spread out too much (although I should be able to remove the males after pollination).
Goals: I want to create thousands of seeds before I start exploring this gene pool for breeding potential.
I know why the seedlings were stunted. I’ll elaborate on that later. Today I assembled the 3x3 tent, and I’ve started to outfit it with equipment (mainly the automated draining tray). I have quite a bit of work to do, but everything is here so it’s just a matter of time.
Update on stunting: I’m dumb sometimes. I had a bottle of “seedling solution” that I previously mixed. I applied that to the seedlings, but in actuality it was concentrated seedling solution with an EC of 1148 microsiemens. The tiny plants will recover, but yeah, I won’t make that mistake again until I do.
I put more time into setting up the 3x3 tent. I set up the self-draining tray, and I ran most of the irrigation lines. I still need to assemble my light and hang it. I also need to set up the electrical, fan, filter, and timers.
As far as the plants go, I think I could end up with 12-14, depending on whether or not I want to cull the weaker plants. My plan is to label the weaker plants to “cull if male” so that they can’t taint the larger seed population, but their genetics stay in the pool.
I finished most of the tent setup. Most importantly, I hung a 32”x32” metal grid from the top of the tent. I can securely attach my devices to that, like fans and lights.
Most of the young plants are in place. The drip lines are there, but I need to make the final connection to the reservoir. Still watering by hand. 2 stragglers are still in the smaller seedling tent.
The light potentiometer is at maximum. I’m identifying more plants to “cull if male.” But for the most part I want to keep plants, even weak plants, in this population increase if at all possible.
I don’t know how much these plants will stretch during the transition to bloom. I don’t know if they’re even sexually mature yet. I suppose I should grow more and prune if necessary, so I’m looking at a few more weeks of vegetative growth.
I’m debating whether to cull this plant immediately or not. I do not like the variegation or the deformed leaves. Perhaps the damage is already done and this plant spread a virus to all others. However, that’s unknowable, and the risk goes up every day I keep it. Moreover, the potential gains from 1 plant are much lower than the risk of losing the entire crop of seeds to disease. I had sequestered it a little, but as I type this I think I’ve reasoned out that I need to remove it immediately.
I just topped off the reservoir at 820 microsiemens. Runoff is 810.
I bent most of the plants over to spread them out. Everything is really pliable right now so this was 100% LST.
I mixed a new bucket of strong solution (6/4/2g with 12mL pH down) with an EC of 1658 microsiemens. I transferred more than half of that to the reservoir, and diluted to 1020 microsiemens. The pH was 2.35. I adjusted it to 5.5. I’ll adjust it up again later today after it’s had some time to settle.