Forum

Northern lights#5 X Haze - first grow

Page 1 / 5 Next
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Hi

This is my first ever grow and have not one clue about plants apart from the ones you put in your mouth lol.

Setup:

Tent - 4x8. Only using 1 half of tent as the light i have will only flower a 4x4.

Light - HLG 550 v2.

Hand feeding. Looking into auto system for my second grow, once i have bought another light.

Seeds: sensi seeds. NL5 x haze.  bought 5, germing 4.

Nutes:

Silica

Cal mag

Sm90

Diamond nectar

Canna A, B

Canna rhizotonic

Cannazym

Coco prebuffered and pre mixed with perlite 30/70

Other equipment:

Hygrometer

Ec and ph pen

I spoke with doc last night as i decided to do the tissue-saucer technique to crack the 4 seeds. I placed them in a cup of tap water last night at 11pm. 3 out of 4 had sank by the morning. The 4th took another 6 hrs. All 4 are in the 2 saucers, in moist tissue in a dark draw.

Hopefully they will all sprout in the next day or 2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2019 8:15 am FarmerBrown and MtnDan liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Ok, all 4 seeds have cracked, well the last one hasn't quite cracked but i've put them all in solo cups, with a bag on top.

I've set my thermostat to 23C, my tent is currently 19C with a 68 rh. Hopefully with the temp rising and a bag on solo cups, the RH should become better.

I'm just going to document everything as i'm new to this and it can be a reference point later on subsequent grows.

tap water ec 100

added 1ml calmag to 2 liters of tap water, came out at ec 400.

ph'd it down to 6.2

flushed solo cups with solution and tested run off. It took about 4 liters to get the run off back to 400.

so all 4 cups are now in tent and in darkness.

@Dr coco thanks for the info earlier, would have been really stuck without you. 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2019 10:27 am FurrySparkle and MtnDan liked
+ Show 3 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

okay, what a day, spent most of it in chat getting answers on how to mix my first seedling fertigation. wow, just wow lol

This is what i ended up with.... in order.

The mix is for a 5 litre container, so should feed my new-borns for the next week. 🙂

Silicon (i can't remember as the dosage was suggested in chat 1ml i think). i have now been told that silicon is not needed at this stage, more for early veg.

calmag 0.5 ml

Canna A + B 9.5ml of each

Diamond nectar 10 ml

I was told to test ec at this point, before adding SM-90. It came back as ec 1200.

SM-90 0.5ml   -  retest ec 1300. Added a further 0.5ml flicked upto 1400 then back down to 1300, so stopped adding SM-90

Canna Rhizotonic 10 ml (root stim like rapid start. Canna suggested 20ml per 5L but i can't remember if ec or ph went up so left the dose at 10ml ).

So ec 1300 and ph'd it down to 6.0.

I thought i would do a test run and dilute to ec 400 with tap water @ ec 100. In order to get ec400 i would say it took a ratio of 25% mix 75% tap water.

i then ph tested it and it was PH 6.8.... i think.

So i PH'd the main container to 5.7 and did the same proceedure. It came back as ec 400 and ph 6.5 (more acceptable).

ok on to the pics. Got 3 now with the cotyledons open. my forth still is underground. hopefully i'll see her tomorrow, so she can join her sisters.

Not sure if they are stretching too much or if they look ok? please comment. first pic is in the morning and the second is probably about 10 hrs later.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/13/2019 1:32 pm
+ Show 2 comments
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

here are the pics 🙂

Cannabis Grow 20190813 170554
Cannabis Grow 20190813 085903

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/13/2019 1:56 pm MtnDan liked
+ Show 3 comments
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

OK, been talking to a few people in chat and have been advised to make the following changes.

The seedlings seem to be stretching too much, like they are not getting enough light. Yesterday, they were placed in the tent corners where ppdf is lowest. The light was @ 55" and dimmed right down.

One guy (maybe SATOSH or PARAAlien, sorry forgot) has the same light. he suggested movingthe plants closer to the centre, lowering the light to 24" and turning it up half way.

so day 2 - plants centre, 24" dimmer half.

from a nutes perspective, i was told to ditch the calmag water and for next few days feed with tap water and rhizo ph'd to 6.0

10ml/5L of rhizo to tap water. ph'd to 6.0 (Rhizo half strength of what Canna recommend)

i have just given all 3 10 ml via syringe.

once the first leaves come out, i'll make the mix i did previously but instead of 9.5ml of A + B, i will only use 5ml of each. This was also suggested. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/14/2019 6:33 am FurrySparkle and MtnDan liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Hi everyone

I didn't post yesterday as i was trying to sort out my seedling mix.

Ended up with the following for a 5L comtainer:

Calmag 1ml

Canna A + B 5ml of each

Diamond nectar 10 ml

sm-90 1ml

Rhizo 10 ml

It came back at ec 800 ph 6.6

I ph'd down it to 5.7 so when i diluted it with plain tap water, it had ec 400 it had  ph6.4

i gave them 10ml each (3 seedlings) and watched for run off (small puddle 4cm wide)

Ok today i noticed that on two of the seedlings there was some slight browning on the very tip of the first true leaves!

not sure what this is calmag deficiency?

I decided to test run off (which i should have done yesterday but was advised to give 10ml each... not much run off).

I gave them the same mix ec400 and let run off fill 3 cm of the bottom of a solo cup. tested ec and it came back same as the inflow ec 400. one came back at ec300!

i've read that i should be stepping up the ec on each event now, so i did a second feed (10ml) with ec 500. sorry i forgot to test the ph. i'll test what is left in my cup of the inflow in a bit. Just tested it and it was ph6.5

I know i'm defo messing this up now as the plants are telling me they are unhappy with the burnt tips. i'll post a pic now, please comment 🙂

[EDIT]btw lights hung 25" above the leaves and set to about 40% power

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/17/2019 11:33 am
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Burn baby

Cannabis Grow 20190817 190553

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/17/2019 11:39 am green285 liked
+ Show 1 comments
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

ok got back home tonight and checked the girls 🙂

don't look too bad, the burn has not spread, so gave them another feed at ec500. The initial run off tonight was ec 500, the same as inflow.

not sure what ec to do tomorrow. my ec pen only reads to 1 decimal place, so cannot get a true reading.

one thing i could do is use the solo cup where i dilute it. there is a rim half way up. ec 400 was 0.5 cm below and ec 500 was on the rim. i reakon ec550 could be around 0.5 cm above the  rim.

i'll post some pics now. i've also found that 2 of the plants are leaning right over where they are touching the side of the solo cup. i've put some tape across the top of the solo cup for them to lean against.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/18/2019 1:46 pm
+ Show 3 comments
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Cannabis Grow 20190818 214819

Cannabis Grow 20190818 214904

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/18/2019 1:51 pm MtnDan, Chefomj and green285 liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Morning all.

Ok yesterday i noticed that the first leaves seemed to be slightly twisting, not serious but just an observation.  i decided to be pre-emptive and use a foliar spray. I made a mix of about 1.25ml calmag per litre. Spraying 2x per day now.

I also fed twice yesterday for the first time. Ec was 500 ph 6.4

Now on to today.

Woke this morning and fed them ec600 ph 6.2 and gave them a foliar spray too. Temps 26 rh around 70. This was 30 mins after lights on.

Current mix is made with half strength canna nutes (5ml a + b, 10 rhizo). It had ec800. So in a couple of days i might make another batch uping the nutes to 7.5 and 15 or should i go full strength according to the canna feed chart at 9.5 and 20?

Any comments would be great😁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/20/2019 1:15 am MtnDan liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

ok not posted for a couple of days as i've been battling with my seedling nute mix.... really struggled with it as dealing with calmag deficiency too.

the deficiency is only slight so been spraying with calmag water 2x per day. i also made another seedling mix with far too high ec but i don't know what to do to compat the calmag prob. i have upped the calmag from 1ml to 2ml in this mix. Also A + B have increased. When i transplant, i am going to double buffer my pre buffered coco; i may be able to decrease the calmag in the feed and allow for more A + B?

calmag 2ml  ec 400

canna A 9.5

canna B 9.5  ec 1400

DN 3.2 ml  ec 1400

sm-90 1ml ec 1500

Rhizo 10 ml

I messed up my ph by dropping it too far, so diluted with 10% water and ec came back at 1300 ph 5.6.

when diluted to ec 700, ph was 6.2

since then i have been fertigating 2x pr day and spraying calmag 2x too. i've been stepping up the ec at each event or every second event, so they can adjust better.

Last night and this morning i have fed ec 800, tonight i ill go with ec 900.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/22/2019 12:35 am MtnDan liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Pics from this morning.

Cannabis Grow 20190822 071252

Cannabis Grow 20190822 071259

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/22/2019 12:37 am
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Ok up to ec1000 this morning and just been home to give them a bit of calmag foliar spray. They are shooting there 3rd node now, so getting close to teansplant day. I'll be using half gallon pots.

I've noticed that the first leaves still have that calmag twist to them but the leaves on the 2nd and third node do not. So hopefully, the calmag deficiency is now under control.  I took a pic this lunch and a vid too. I'll try upload them now.

Ah vid is too big so here are some pics

Cannabis Grow 20190822 071252

Cannabis Grow 20190822 071259

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 7:21 am MtnDan liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

Made a gif from the vid

Cannabis Grow 20190823 130513 1

Oh well not a gif, turned into a pic lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 7:32 am MtnDan liked
turtleBoy
Esteemed Member
Known Grower

ok today was transplant day! 🙂

All went well and not as stressful as i thought. All 3 have new spacious accommodation in half gallon pots.

Due to the calmag problem in the seedling stage whilst using pre-buffered coco mixed with perlite, i decided to double buffer the coco. there seemed to be a bit of peat whilst rinsing which is probably not a good sign.

I then made up a calmag mix @ 7.5ml/gallon. Soaked the coco for 12hrs, then repeated with new solution for 8hrs.

I then then made a mix of calmag 1ml and then made the ec up to 1200 with A + B. I flushed the coco until i got a run off of 1200, which is the ec of my next event. hopefully i won't shock the plants this way. So the new coco mix is double buffered and flushed to the correct ec.

I then made my new nute mix, 5L.

silicon 1ml        ec 0.2     ph 9.3

calmag 1ml       ec 0.3     ph9.3

Canna A + B 11ml  ec 1.5      ph 6.7

Diamond nectar 3.2ml   ec 1.5    ph 6.6

sm-90 1ml   ec 1.5   ph 6.6

rhizo 10ml   ec 1.6    ph 6.9

cannazym 13ml  ec 1.6   ph 6.7

I then ph'd the main container to 5.7. This meant that when diluted to ec1.2, it had ph 6.1.

I'll upload some photo in a minute.

I have also raised the lights from 24" @ 40-50% power to 36" at full power.

The knock on effect, is my temps in the tent are up to 29C. They used to be stable at 27C. I need another socket timer to bring the exhaust fan in every so often, to get the temp down a couple of degrees.

hopefully from today i should see some good growth, due to a better nute mix,larger pot and increased light. I have sorted the calmag issue and they have lost the leaf twist and have a healthy colour. I have now decreased the calmag in the mix because A + B have calmag in also and i have doubled buffered the coco. I also have a calmag foliar spray twice per day. let's see what happens 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/26/2019 1:48 pm MtnDan, infrasound70 and Dr Coco liked
+ Show 2 comments
Page 1 / 5 Next