Mandarin Cookies V2 - Ethos
Very excited to kick things off with the Mandarin Cookies V2 from Ethos Genetics. These are feminized seeds described as strong apex-heavy growth, she may need some light training. She can stretch quite a bit in flowering but is controllable. She performs well when often-topped (not within 10 days of flower). About 20% are half-height but can put out VERY colorful and flavorful flowers. Her flower structure is exquisite. Medium-sized, dense, and stacked with perfectly spaced internodes and low leaf-to-calyx ratio. The V2 version has added even more citrus along with the always-welcome gasoline by moving away from the Forum Cut into a MUCH chunkier, OG-Kush-heavy version named Ethos Cookie #12.
I've planted 6 seeds overall on 10/17/20 and 3/6 are start to pop as of today (10/20/20) with the rest germinated and shortly behind. The intention with this particular grow will be to utilize some LST techniques with topping 2-4 times through the veg period. Assuming all 6 seeds successfully germinate and make it to flowering, my intentions are to use my 5x5 Mars Hydro tent with Photontek 600W Pro LED, using the feed guidelines on CFC as per usual.
Look forward to sharing this grow with the community as I've got extremely high hopes for these genetics and based on some of the various pictures I've seen online, very exotic and dripping with trichomes. That being said, here are the 6 seeds germinating under my 45W LED in the propogation tent @ 78F under the heating pad.
Strain: Mardarin Cookies V2, Ethos Genetics.
Medium: Canna Coco (buffered) w/ perlite
5x5 Mars Hydro tent
Photontek 600W Pro LED
2 Gallon Air-Pots for final pots
Auto-watering via Blumats & Hydro Halos (Veg / Flower)
Quick update: 4/6 seeds germinated and were transplanted into 1L air-pots. Carefully peeled the rockwool on the remaining two and found they had some trouble pushing out of the holes in the rockwool so I re-inserted them taproot down into some new cubes along with planting 3x additional new seeds just in case. I'll likely end up with more plants than needed and select the top 6 of the lot for flowering.
Cotyledons are vibrant green and the first set of serrated leaves have appeared. Feeding the 4x transplanted seedlings twice per day w/ roughly 400EC. Plan to bump that up in increments of 75 EC or so over the course of the next week.
Looking forward to the progress on this particular strain; the genetics just look too good! 🙂
Attaching the latest photo of the 4/6 that germinated successfully thus far (5 more in the propagation area still)
Bumped the EC of all 4 seedlings to 700 since my last post. Looking happy and healthy!
As mentioned in my previous update, I've been slowly bumping up the EC each day. I'm currently feeding at approximately 900 EC for all 6 seedlings w/ a pH of 6.2 using my new Apera PC-60Z EC/pH meter which has been absolutely invaluable and great to use!
3/6 are a little further along due to the complications with a few beans but the good news I've got 6 healthy seedlings that I'll look to eventually fill my Mars Hydro 5x5 w/ Photontek Pro 600W LED.
Fertigating twice per day by hand roughly 10 hours apart as per the cocoforcannabis High-Frequency Fertigation chart for 2x per day. Once I transplant into 1G pots, I'll set them up on the Blumats for automatic fertigation which have been working extremely well for me during veg in the past and presently w/ other plants/clones in the veg tent.
Will update with pics shortly as well 🙂
Seedlings are starting to become not-so-seedlings! Looking to transplant all 6 into 1-gallon smart pots very soon. Feeding about 1000 EC for all 6 plants at this point. One of them seems to be having a minor cal-mag deficiency while the rest appear normal. Odd considering it was the same batch of double-buffered coco. I chalk it up to genetics at this point given the static nature of their treatment.
Treated the seedlings as well as the rest of my veg tent w/ Dr. Zymes to deal w/ gnats as well as just weekly preventative maintenance. So far the gnats seem under control which is nice. More of an annoyance than anything but bugs invite other bugs so I'd like to keep that to a minimum throughout the grow.
Latest picture 🙂
Transplanted from 1L propagation air-pots to 1G smart-pots and a couple of Air-Pots (4/6 were already transplanted by the time new Air-Pots got delivered, LOL. The six ladies are finally starting to bounce back after some odd Cal-Mag deficiency issues. Starting to see some rapid growth now and plan to top @ the 6'th node very soon.
EC is up to 1250-1300 w/pH target set to 5.8 presently. They'll stay here until the transition to flowering once I deem them worthy, LOL.
Blumats have been working great so far. Had a couple of minor issues with the small feed lines getting clogged due to building algae and other bacteria in the reservoir. Shocked at how quickly (7 days or so) the algae built up considering I clean my res often w/ bleach and water, use H2O2 to keep a sterile res, etc. I just installed a new "Wavemaker" pump intended for Aquariums which I'm hoping will do a better job of keeping my nutrients mixed and the algae at bay...
Until next time! Updated picture below for your viewing pleasure 🙂
Topped the remaining 2/6 ladies which were slightly behind the other 4. Target EC is set to 1350 with a target pH of 5.8-6.0 until the flip at this point.
Did some minor defoliation of the leaves affected by necrosis, mostly just lower growth I'd have got rid of during my typical lollipopping technique after the flip.
I'll be running through my weekly preventative maintenance on all 6 ladies today as well which involves a coco drench of Dr. Zymes, replacing the yellow sticky traps & cleaning the tent w/ a diluted 10% bleach solution in my efforts to combat bugs/pests.
Latest picture attached for your viewing pleasure 🙂