GoodBadger's First Cocoforcannabis Grow
Welcome to day 12! I definitely have one seedling that has fallen by behind the others. It seems like all seedlings go through this early stage where their initial set of fan leaves stays really dark green. But when photosynthesis fires up, the leaves always seem to lighten before showing steady growth. This has happened on six of the seven with one's photosynthesis factory having a hard time firing up.
Welcome to day 16! Things continue to grow well as most plants now have the very beginning of a third true node. The exception is the one planned that has multiple fat leaves but appears to be miniaturized. Can't help but think I must have damaged the root at some point.
Welcome to day 18! Things seem good overall. Starting to see some root tips come through a few of the bags. With third node now establishing, I will pot-up on at least the larger plants this weekend!
1 ml/gal Armor Si
5 ml/gal CalMag
2.25 ml/gal Micro
2.5 ml/gal Gro
1 ml/gal Bloom
5 ml/gal Ful-Power Humic Acid
2.5 ml/gal Yucca Wet
2 ml/gal FloraBlend
1 ml/gal Roots Excelurator
PH 6.1, EC 1100 (RO water)
Welcome to day 19! I plan on potting-up tomorrow, so I began the day by rehydrating some of the coco I buffered 20 days ago. I used the plant's current nutrient solution (listed in yesterday's post.)
The plants continue to do well and I think most have had the chance to colonize the middle with roots. Looking forward to getting them graduated tomorrow!
Welcome to day 20! DISASTER STRIKES!!! well, maybe not a disaster, but still not good. Since I began growing my number one challenge, embarrassingly enough, has been one of my cats. This girl could give Harry Houdini a run for his money getting in and out of tight places. It's all my fault because I didn't let my wife know I was exposing the plants today while potting. I turned my back for 1 minute and she made a lunch out of 2 or 3 leaves on one of the seedlings. Other than that potting up was successful. They are now in one gallon fabric pots and have moved into the 4x4 tent. They continue to get 18/6 light schedule.
Welcome to week 3! The group has now had 24 hours to settle into their new digs. I certainly haven't noticed any adverse reactions, so I'm going to tentatively rule the first pot-up a success!
In yesterday's post I mentioned the unfortunate happenings with the family predator, and have decided to not remove any of the damaged leaves. It's just a guess, but if they can still photosynthesize in any way, it's probably worth keeping them, unless anybody has other ideas?
My plan for 2X daily hand fertigation in the 4x4 tent will be to utilize the lids of the same totes I used for preparing cocoa as as a type of large humidity tray holding some risers. The lids are deep enough to safely hold some runoff over a wide area. This allows me to keep from having to run a humidifier as relative humidity here is in the 50s. If the trays get too full, or I need to lower the humidity, I have a little one gallon wet/dry vac I can use to suck up some of the cumulative runoff.
Welcome to day 22! Had some climate issues the past 18 hours. The first few hours in the new tent coupled with rapidly shifting temperatures here caused some issues, and the plants weren't happy. Temperatures got too cold (mid to low 60s) & humidity was pretty high. Since the lights went on again this evening I think I have things better with the addition of a small heater and an additional fan. We'll see tomorrow how they're doing. Having fun trying to be on top of things. Going to need to check the forecast more diligently to see what I need to do with my grow room's window and fan.
Welcome to day 23! Another 24 hours and the plants still are not looking very good. I figured this would be a good time to show how I'm measuring runoff at this stage of the grow. Because I'm using what is essentially a large, shared humidity tray, I use a small condiment bowl to catch runoff from each individual plant to test.
...So back from doing that in the results we're not ideal! 😣 My runoff is around 300 EC higher than my fertigation solution. Much too close for my liking. Upon reflection, I'm pretty sure I can get this number down because I have admittedly been a little bit conservative on my fertigation amounts due to the runoff being my mechanism of humidity control. Time to stop being lazy and increase my fertigation amounts and do more shop-vacing of those humidity trays. Need to get a handle on this new grow space!
No doubt that these type of issues would have had me freaking out at one point when I was doing my first couple grows. I'd be concerned that my plants would be way too small and suffer a big hit on harvest day. But now my anxiety is probably more from a fear of not having enough space in the tent and the plants getting too big, which has been my recent experience. I still worry about space on this grow! Anyway, now I feel that I'm more easily roll with the punches and don't sweat every last setback. Maybe because I have more confidence that they'll be close to where I hope they'll be at the end.? Maybe because this site has provided a framework for growing in coco where, you see or measure this problem, you should do xyz to remedy.
Welcome to day 24! Today things have the appearance of getting back on the right track. The plants are looking a bit better with the leaves starting to slightly point up instead of drooping. I also feel good about the runoff numbers as I didn't increase the number of fertigations, I'm still doing two, but I definitely increased the amount that I was watering. Run off now it's down to about 100 EC higher than the input, so I will continue to monitor that to make sure it stays in a good place.
I also gave in and was tired of messing around with my natural attempts at humidity control and put in a small Taotronics humidifier that has a built-in humidistat.