Gelato Going Gorillaz
- 1 x Gorilla Grow Tent 4x4, GGT 44 w/ Extension Kit
- 1 x Can Lite 6" 600 CFM
- 1 x Horticulture Lighting Group, HLG 650R (2592 Samsung LM301H LED’s & 72 LH351H V2 Deep Red 660 nm)
- 1 x AC Infinity T6, Airflow: 402 CFM
- 3 x Garden HighPro clip fan, 5W, Ø 15cm
- 5 x 1l/3l/20l Air-Pot®
This is my 1st serious indoor setup after fiddling around with closet micro grow for the last two years or so. Back then (20+ years ago) when I was a consumer, I cultivated my plants outdoor exclusively, mostly with little to no tending (except some form of LST). This time around I started growing as a hobby and as a quality medicinal support for my wife.
Having flipped the internet inside out, I still find the cannabisforcoco.com website one if not the best information sources around. This fact together with some encouragement from the users in the chat (thank you for the nudge @Knut) led to this grow journal. Have patience for my style of documenting and please do suggest ways to improve (be it growing or writting the journal).
- 2 x Fast Buds Gorilla Glue Auto
- 3 x Fast Buds Gelato Auto
- Canna Coco Pro+ (60%)
- Plagron Perlite (40%)
- BioBizz line
- Growth Technology Liquid Silicon
After a couple of days, when the tap root penetrated the jiffy, I've potted them in 1l Air Pots.
I hope you find it amusing but I'm taking it with all seriousness - I name all of my girls soon after they sprout. This time around the names are as follows (in the order of their "arrival"):
- Gorilla Nr.1
- Gorilla Joe
- Gelato Twin Nr.1 & Gelato Twin Nr.2
- Gelato Shorty
As the name suggest, the last to sprout was a clunky girl from the get go but...stick around for the whole story.
- Day #29: Topped 2nd time (FIMed some)
- Day #30: Double topped & increased the light intensity to 80%. Girls look like they've engaged the turbo mode
- Day #31: Tuned down the light intensity back to 70%. Just seemed to "violent" on the girls. They are going bonkers
- Day #32: Potted the girls up to the final (21 l Air Pot) container. The race is now on! 🙂
- Day #36: Super cropped the girls instead of LST'ed. Let's see if they develop bicepsy branches. Also, they are boosting 😉
- Day #38: Did not fertigate, just watered (noticed some slight clawing)
- Day #39: Built & installed auto draining saucers with a bladder. Next step will be to add a smart valve/pump. Pinned them down a bit, the super cropped spots are developing real muscle. Did a very light defoliation (mostly bottom leaves that were touching the medium)
- Day #43: Defoliated a bit, fertigated plenty as I was away for a few days. The girls begun their party, except Shorty which is a bit a queen on its own
- Day #44: Tucked some leaves, cut a few on the bottom to prevent excessive moisture. The girls are looking good. A few are split but nothing to be concerned about (speaking out of experience)
- Day #45: Tuned down the fertigation EC by ~30% and lowered the light height to 30" above canopy (before 48")
- Day #47: Lowered the fertigation quantity to 1.2 litre. Also, stopped using the humidifier
- Day #48: The new watering can (5l pressure bottle) seems to be a good idea. Not sure if the aeration is playing any role but the girls are happy. Also, raised the fertigation EC to manufacturer's default values
- Day #50: Defoliated and removed some of the bottom branches on one of the Gelato Twins
- Day #51: It's weird that one of the Gelato Twins is not flowering yet despite having the most vigorous growth. Mystery
- Day #52: Gelato Twin #2 is definitely not flowering. Not auto? Will try to flip over weekend
- Day #53: Ntox - tuned down on nutes rich in N (for today's feeding omitted bio-grow completely)
- Day #54: 2nd day fertigating without Bio-Grow completely. Gelato Twin #2 still not flowering, Gorila #1 stunned with Ntox and Gelato Shorty is pop-corning 😕
- Day #55: Still not giving any Bio-Grow. Shorty has a few leaves turning yellow. Gorila Nr.1 is packing, might be ahead of everyone but not a yield winner
- Day #56: Seems like I'm on the upside tackling the ntox (keepin' fingers crossed and nutes low). Added 1ml Bio-Grow per liter
- Day #57: Gelato Twin #2 still not flowering. Suspecting genetic weakness. Gorilla Nr.1 which was had a champion start is now worst off. Shorty still going crazy, extraction awaits.
- Day #58: Thinned out the Gelato Twin #2 substantially - got sick'n'tired of the girl not flowering 😕
- Day #59: The Gelato Twin #2 showing signs of vague flowering. Thinned out the Gelato Shorty a bit too. Feeding with EC 1500.
- Day #60: The Gelato Twin #2 has now officially and evidently entered its flowering period. I'm not sure if thinning out the branches made her "change" her mind or maybe the late flowering was due to N-toxicity. I wonder if her internal clock is adjusted or still ticking on time and will start dying in a few weeks before reaching her potential.
- Day #61: Removed "necrotic" leaves and upped the EC to 1700 (accidentally, added 4ml/l BioHeaven). Might turn on the fan #3 soon - wouldn't want any bud rot development.
Disclaimer: Gorilla Nr.1 is down. I have also pruned some low buds for sampling (actually because they were too crowded, too low or just weren't making sense/wasting energy).
- Day #64: Still going strong with EC in the high 1700s. Gorilla Nr.1 might be approaching The End. Cut off a sample bud off of Gorilla Joe (one of the bottom ones) - drying in the fridge according the low'n'slow method.
- Day #65: Gorilla Nr.1 is approaching senescence and is thus receiving water only. The rest of the bunch EC in the high 1700s.
- Day #66: Light defoliation of Gorilla Joe and Gelato Twin #1. Cut off a small lower bud on Gelato Twin #1 - will serve as a sample. EC still in the high 1700s, Gorilla Nr.1 only receives water (5l).
- Day #67: Checked the sample buds that I have drying with LnS method -looking good. Also, got warned about RH and light bleach (the Shorty and Twin #2 might be a bit bleached indeed). Dehumidifier seems to be a must with RH in the low 50s.
- Day #68: Gorilla Nr.1 might be coming down tomorrow...Gelato Twin #2 doin' nicely.
- Day #69: Chopped down the Gorilla Nr.1 - 110g wet buds. Going to dry in a paper bag with the LnS method. Lowered the EC (stopped adding Bio Grow), appropriated PH to 6.1.
- Day #70: Rearranged the pots now that only four remain. The difference in canopy height is bothering me a bit but I will leave it so that the lower buds have optimal light.
- Day #71: Added dehumidifier and re-positioned the hygrometer/thermometer for better reading. Stared at the girls like crazy bootieful they are.
- Day #72: Upped the fan settings in order to further lower RH below 50%. Gorilla Joe is slowly maturing, 1st few amber trichomes noted. Gelato Twin #2 is proving to be a sleeping beauty.
- Day #73: They lookin' good. Period.
- Day #74: Noticed a few (like, three) amber trichomes on the Gelato Twin #1.
- Day #75: Nothing special, everything's special kind of day.
- Day #76: They are coming along nicely. The Gorilla Joe might be ready soon(ish), the Gelato's look like they have a few weeks ahead still (especially the late bloomer, Gelato Twin #2).
- Day #77: Dry trimmed Gorilla Nr.1 - yielded 24g of what looks like some primo bud. Not happy with quantity but only time will tell if she can redeem herself with quality. The rest of the bunch is doing swell 🙂
- Day #78: Leaf picked Gorilla Joe, Gelato Twin #1 & #2 (dead leaves strip). Stared in awe of Shorty bud production. Just wow!
- Day #79: They lookin' good. Just took Alg-A-Mic out of the game. Slowly approaching senescence. Peace!
- Day #80: EC between 1000 and 1100.
- Day #81: Took a close look at the trichomes. Swelling nicely but the girls still need to put in some elbow grease in making those primo buds.
- Day #82: Added Acti-Vera, EC 1150ish.
- Day #83:
- Day #84: Gorilla Joe looks like it's going down soon. Very soon.
- Day #85: Gorilla Joe harvest.
- Day #86: Run out of Biobizz Top-Max, replaced with G.O. Bloom (temporarily). EC1100ish still. Amazed how the ugly duckling is ending up being the prettiest of them all. No offense Shorty! :-p
- Day #87: ...and then there were three! Chopped Gorilla Joe, got 326g of wet bud, LnS drying. They be some heavy nuggets 😎
- Day #88: Checked the trichomes. Nope, two more weeks 😀
- Day #89: I am amazed at how the story of the three sisters is developing 🙂
- Day #90: Just (im)patiently waiting for them girls to get ripe.
- Day #91: Took a close look at the girls. Nope. Still waiting.
- Day #92: Gelato Twin #1 looks soooo tempting...and Twin #2 is just gorgeous! In its own right, even the Shorty is beautiful.
- Day #93: Couldn't resist the temptation - it was Gelato Twin #2 chop time and boy what a time it was! 780g of trimmed wet bud, 166g of trim. Dang mamma!
- Day #94: Them girls be growin' strong. Both, Gelato Twin #1 and Shorty almost ended on the compost in the beginning after a rough start but in the end they turned out to be the strongest. In awe of mother nature.