Big Bang from Greenhouse Seeds
This run consists of two Big Bang photoperiods in 7 gallon plastic pots. The medium is a 2:1:1 blend of Black Gold soil, coco coir, and peat moss. Added a touch of perlite to taste and amended with Down to Earth 444 and worm castings. These two plants are cuttings from an earlier plant and I will not be covering the vegetative phase; we will skip right to flowering. During veg, no training was done but I did prune to clean up the branches of lower growth about a week prior to moving the plants to a flowering tent.
Day one of flower was 7/11/21. I set up the trellis and guided the branches through the trellis to create some spacing between the branches as well as the walls of the tent. After a couple days of growth, which brings us up to date, I used a combination of twisty ties and the trellis net to begin forming the canopy.
Before the stretch starts I want to be sure the plants have all the nutrients they will need so I top dressed each with 1/2cup of DTE 484 and 1/2cup worm castings, then watered in using tap water which has a PH of 6.4ish. I will be using DTE dry nutrients for this grow along with Botanicare Calmag plus if needed.
As some branches get ahead of the others I bend and tie them down to the trellis.
Also as growth continues and branches are tied down, I remove any new growth from the underside of the branch and clean up new growth up to the growth tip of low growth that I want to keep.
Today I brought a couple branches toward some more open spots and that was it for the trellis. I then removed about a solid hand full of lower bud sites that were buried under the canopy that wouldn't have developed to where I like.
It has been two weeks since the last top dressing, which was at half rate, so I top dressed again with 1/2 cup DTE 484 and 1/2 cup worm castings. I dont know if it really makes a difference, but I top dress with worm castings to keep the topsoil inoculated with microbes being the amendments are concentrated at the surface. One practice I have stopped is breaking up the surface when it crusts over. I try not to disturb the surface so I dont disrupt the microbiology.
I have a mutant branch compared to another branch, looks kinda spindly but curious to see how it develops;
Put together a 4ft T5 LED rig to supplement the walls and corners. At 17 inches, they provide 90-100 additional ppfd; I did cut off the plastic lens on the build which increased ppfd by like 30%.
After that ordeal, I plucked a few leaves from the canopy; I typically work my way top to bottom and pick the leaves which cast shadows onto colas.
Been dealing with a calcium deficiency which started mid week 4 id say but I've been so busy with other things I totally missed the early signs. Once the telltale spotting began I checked root zone ph to make sure it wasnt too low. Ph is good, temp isn't an issue so next I reviewed my watering schedule and it wasn't over watering. After I was sure I was dealing with a true deficiency I included 5ml/gal calmag to each watering and the progression has stopped and buds are still fattening up. Damage done but avoided a total loss.