5x5 maiden voyage ft. Living soil
I have finally set up my 5x5 tent with the medic smart 8 that I won from one of our YouTube comps. It’s been a process from building soil from scratch properly for the first time to setting up blumats. As some of you may know I work a week away from home and spend a week at home. The design of this set up was for it to be as hands off as possible with as few fail points as I could have along the way. This will be my first soil grow and my first grow under the smart 8.
- 5 x 5 mars hydro tent
- 6inch mars hydro exhaust fan with temperature controller (through carbon filter)
- 4inch infinity cloud line Supply fan (through carbon filter)
- Medic grow smart 8 light
- blumats with 4mm diy drip ring
- 20 gallons living soil (coots mix+)
Base mix per pot
- 25L peat moss
- 20L 10mm volcanic rock
- 5L pearlite
- 20L worm castings
- 5L compost
Amendments per cubic foot of base mix
- 1cup kelp meal
- 1cup Neem cake
- 1cup Limestone
- 1/2cup Gypsum
- 3 cups palagonite
- 1/2 cup alfalfa meal
- 1cup crushed malted barley
- 1/2cup used coffee grounds I had spare.
So I am still to mix my fourth pots worth of soil but in the meantime I decided to run an auto in one of the three I have in the tent currently. I will be running some photoperiods In the other three when the next pot is mixed and ready to plant in. The flexibility of the auto will allow me to veg the photos as long as I need while it finishes. I have a mephisto genetics fantasmo express that I have just popped which will be interesting in a tent…
Update: So the fantismo express (auto) was a dud and didn’t pop a root. I had to wait till next week home to pop new beans which were ethos genetics - purple sunrise (photos). I wet three seeds of which two popped a tap root and it looked like one ran out of energy before shedding its shell. I waited a few days without movement but had no luck. I peeled the seed shell and membrane off and planted it out of sheer hope… to return a week later. 🤞
Returned home and found both purple sunset beans now seedlings 🙏 . The one that ran out of steam is obviously behind for a couple reasons I think. Firstly the obvious reason was it’s failure to launch and secondly was the pope it was in was slightly dryer than ideal moisture level. Adjusted the blumat 1/2 a “notch”
Also gave all three pots cover crop a trim (chop and drop) and watered in some aloe boost and fulvic acid from Organic Gardening Solutions (OGS) as well as some Home made LABs.
Also wet two more seeds. Again Ethos genetics photoperiods. Lilac diesel x grape diamonds
Okay so we have had quite a few failures as far as seeds go so far. The last two did not make it again so popped two more this week which have both popped and been planted in the big pots. Fingers crossed we finally have four planted pots. I haven’t been very attentive to them so can’t blame the seeds really. The very first seed that was planted was at 8 or 9 nodes so is quite a way ahead of the seedlings. However I have now topped it twice on the way to a manifold. And topped the 2nd plant once. The plan for training will be manifold the first two plants then mainline the second two in an attempt to catch them up.
Plant 1- before topping
Plant 2- before topping
Plant 1- after first two tops
Plant 2- after first top
I have been giving them their weekly treat of fulvic acid with LABs and aloe boost. Have also started with OHN added to the mix this week as a bit of a ipm.
So I noticed that some of the new growth in plant #1 appears to have what looks like a magnesium deficiency.
I top dressed with 4 tablespoons of langbinite as well as “a handful” of oyster shell flower and the same amount of a pre mixed nutrient kit from Organic Gardening solutions. (This is essentially designed to be added to base mix when making fresh soil to make a complete “coots mix”)
Still giving the soil its weekly treat of humates, aloe, LABs and OHN. As well as continuing to chop and drop the cover crop. Although it’s more like fortnightly if I’m honest.
I also completed the mainline training on plant #1 with plant #2 still a few days behind.
plant #3 and #4 are at 4 nodes and moving along okay.