Forum

SAFC Galaxies: A Galaxy of White Widow Autos... I hope.

Page 1 / 3 Next
takjr1976
Honorable Member
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows

The 2021 CCFC Auto Flower Challenge is going to be a huge change for me in what I grow and how I grow so I don't know what the destination will look like, but the journey is sure to be full of new challenges and things to learn. I had a very bad trial of auto flowering seeds a year ago from AMS. All the previous seeds from them had grown really well for myself. But they were all photoperiods. So I chocked it up to a bad batch or a bad start either way I went back to growing photoperiods for the next year in coco and hand watering. This grow I am going to autos once again and I have 20 White Widows to pop from ILGM.com. These are going to be germinated by soaking the seeds in plain distilled water PH'd to 7. After 4 hours in a bowl of distilled water which will be warmed on a thermo controlled heat mat the seeds are going into paper towels also on the heat mat inside of a pyrex baking dish covered with panda film to keep humidity in and light  24 hours later or as soon as the radicles are 1/4 to 1/2" long they will get popped into big Jiffy pellets. All of this will be kept at 83 degrees F. The seedlings will go under the SP3000s at 36" height at 50% intensity and set to stay on 24 hours a day until all seedlings are above ground. I am still hoping to get some advice on transplanting these girls so not sure as of yet if the pellets will go into the final container 3 gallon fabric pots or what I think I want to do is go from pellet to a 20 oz solo cup and then to the final home. I have a 4x8 flood table that will house the fabric pots on pot elevators to ensure full drainage and easy collection of the run off. The elevators will also allow me to slip a shallow collection tray under an individual plant to collect run off for EC testing. The final fabric pots will be filled with a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite. Then on top I will use the FloraFlex matrix wicking system to feed the plants. I'm still using the CCFC feed schedule with GH nutrients. I am looking around at "simpler" nutrient systems, but there is so much info to sort through I don't know if or when I will change up. The 4x8 foot area will be lighted by 3 or maybe I will add a 4th Mars Hydro SP3000 lights. Again I love the grow can't wait t get to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2021 6:35 am BBudz420 and Knah liked
+ Show 3 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Working on getting all of the components together for the new grow space, which I hope will be up and fully functional for the SAFC. Really looking forward to an automated grow. 

Cannabis Grow 20210418 104308

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/18/2021 8:05 am Choo and Knah liked
+ Show 3 comments

So today is the day... I have my distilled water PH'd to 7.0 and its warming up on the heating mat as I type this I also have the pyrex dish with a couple cheap paper towels on the same heating mat. Temp is set at 83 degrees F. I'm going to drop the seeds into the bowl of water at 8 am after scuffing them lightly in that little sandpaper box I made. Just going to roll them around for a few seconds then pop them into the water. Then leave them for 4 hours and then put them into the pyrex dish for 24 hours covered with plastic film to keep light out and heat and humidity in.  Fingers crossed. Oh and I'm also soaking the Jiffy peat pellets that I hope I'll be using tomorrow of the next day to start the seedlings in.

Cannabis Grow 20210408 124342

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/20/2021 4:28 am Choo and Knah liked
+ Show 1 comments
takjr1976
Honorable Member
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows

So the seeds have been transferred into the Pyrex between some cheap paper towels and then I wrapped the top with plastic wrap and put a light barrier over everything now to let them sit on the heat mat for 24 hours.  I'll be checking in on them tomorrow at noon. 

Cannabis Grow 20210408 124356
Cannabis Grow 20210408 124800

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/20/2021 9:25 am Choo and Knah liked
+ Show 1 comments

So on Wednesday around noon I took the panda film and plastic wrap off the seeds and gently removed the top paper towel and at the point I could see that all, but 3 of the seeds had clearly visible radicles. I will be honest, this is the most stressful time of the germination process for myself. I have wicked shaky hands and getting the delicate seedlings from the towel into the peat plugs in the correct orientation always freaks me out. So no pic of the "radicilized" seeds. I just got them all into the pellets and into the warmth of the tent under two Mars Hydro SP3000s running at 50% at approximately 3 feet above the babies.Trying a bit of a new technique on the planting. I'm just barely burying the seedling leaving the seed coat right at the surface. my idea on this is less energy wasted trying to push it's way to the surface to get the light. Anyway.... given another 24 hours here is what I have to work with so far....

Cannabis Grow 20210412 085241

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/22/2021 10:56 am OrganicAutosMi, Choo and Knah liked
+ Show 4 comments
takjr1976
Honorable Member
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows

Im very happy with these seeds from ilgm.com still holding it hope for 100% germination. One is still not above ground.  Just keeping them moist and warm right now distilled 7.0 water I still have them on a heat mat as well. 

Cannabis Grow 20210413 082616

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/23/2021 5:35 pm CrackBabies and Knah liked
takjr1976
Honorable Member
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows

So I'm going to make the call and say I have 100 percent germination and seedlings above the surface today.  I plan to get the plugs into solo cups tomorrow morning and then begin fertigation with a diluted nutrient solution.  

Cannabis Grow 20210414 094604

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/24/2021 8:45 am OrganicAutosMi, Choo, Knah and 1 people liked

So this morning I did the most stressful part of the grow process so far... removing the mesh from the peat plugs and then transferring them into solo cups filled with a 70/30 mix of coco and perlite.  For the most part it went smoothly other than the one plant I'm now calling Dot she is a tiny seedling and only had a small tap root i actually dislodged her from the peat plug.  So I gently put the tap root into the coco and I'm hoping it will recover... time will tell.  The coco was rebuffered and then rinsed down and then I soaked it with the early veg nutrients at 0.4 EC. I've read a bunch of articles and posts about auto feeding , but they all have ranges from 1/8 to 1/2 of the nutrient concentration of photos.  I'm simply going to start off low and try to increase it and wait to see signs that it may be getting too strong and then simply back off a bit.  This is my first real auto grow so I'm kind of nervous,  but they're still cannabis so I'm not that scared. 

Cannabis Grow 20210415 141636
Cannabis Grow 20210415 141653
Cannabis Grow 20210415 141647
Cannabis Grow 20210415 113240
Cannabis Grow 20210415 103720

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/25/2021 6:19 am CrackBabies, OrganicAutosMi and Choo liked
+ Show 4 comments

So just a day after putting the sprouts into some growing medium nothing major to report. The plants seem fine... even Dot my oops during transfer seems to be hanging in there. Some very minor growth noticeable on the slightly leafier girls. Tomorrow I will bump up the feed to 0.5 EC and I've got the PH adjusted to 6.2 slowly working down to 6.0 as we get into it. 

Cannabis Grow 20210416 122356
Cannabis Grow 20210416 122341
Cannabis Grow 20210416 122333

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/26/2021 5:45 am Knah, Choo and OrganicAutosMi liked

Just got done feeding the girls.  I'm currently only feeding one time a day.  The larger plants are getting 80 to 100 ml the smaller plants less around 60 ml. This is still getting plenty of run off.  I am seeing a bit of a ripple in some of the leaves.  This wavey look I seem to get early on and usually subsides as the plants get older.  Not sure why this happens.  Anyway feeding early veg set at 0.6 EC and PH'd down to 6.1. 

Cannabis Grow 20210419 094853
Cannabis Grow 20210419 094850
Cannabis Grow 20210419 085246
Cannabis Grow 20210419 085237

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/27/2021 8:13 am Choo, OrganicAutosMi and Knah liked

Have the girls on 0.8 EC early veg nutrients ph is at 6.0 . I do see some differences in the plants at this point.  Nothing major but some appear to be growing considerably faster than the others.  Nothing huge just hoping they even up as they all mature and get a good root ball established.  

Cannabis Grow 20210420 082510

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/28/2021 1:33 pm Knah and Choo liked

So I have been trying to figure out what has started to impair my girls growth. Folding down limbs and leaves as well as yellowing lower leaves at the bottom of the smaller plants. After talking through things with the chat room and Choo I decided to slice open the solo cups and see if it's just a matter of water logging the roots. I've dialed back my nutrients slightly down to 0.7 EC and I am going to continue to fertigate and probably move it up to doing it twice a daw. I'm not heartless, but with everything going on I'm thinking give them the best I can and let the strong survive. Fingers crossed that with the cups being able to drain down faster and more completely this will improve the root zone life and the plants will recover and begin to prosper again. Tomorrow in the AM I am going to do a run off test on each of the plants and compare between the better looking and the ones that are really struggling and see if I can read what's going on. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 9:39 am Knah liked

Cannabis Grow 20210501 113443

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 9:42 am OrganicAutosMi, OldWoman and Knah liked
+ Show 2 comments

I am also wondering if having the large plugs of peat  in guessing is 50 percent of the solo cup is effecting the ability for the roots to drain down. 

Cannabis Grow 20210502 120305
Cannabis Grow 20210502 120310
Cannabis Grow 20210502 120318
Cannabis Grow 20210502 120322
Cannabis Grow 20210502 120342

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2021 9:20 am OrganicAutosMi liked
+ Show 8 comments
takjr1976
Honorable Member
Practicing Grower
Completed Grows

Sorry it's been a bit, for an update. I've got plants in late flower too, so dealing with getting them ready for the push to the end. Anyway. I have been slowly and steadily recycling my grow medium and getting it doubled buffered and putting a couple plants a day into the final 3 gallon fabric pots. This is my first time growing in 3 gallon until the end, so I was going to actually lower the perlite content (I normally use a 50/50 mix), but I am also going to be putting together the flors flex matrix system  s keeping them hydrated should juts be a matter of  more frequent fertigation events especially toward the end when the root mass gets huge. I'm trying to stay positive. The one good thing I can say is that the plants I've moved up into the 3 gallon pots (which were doubled buffered with 1.2 EC cal/mag and then I used my mid veg nutrients set at 1.0 EC to bring down the run off to 1.0 with a PH 05 6.5...) have at least stopped looking like they are declining. The upper parts of the plants with the newer growth actually look pretty good. Now to see if I can get them growing again. I am pretty sure that all this came from the medium in the solo cups holding onto too much solution. The roots I see at transplant in the solo cups are normally very bright just off white in color and filling up the cup. These girls had more of a tan color root mass and very thin soaked looking root tips. Hoping they will be able to move out into the better medium and recover. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2021 8:30 am Knah and Choo liked
Page 1 / 3 Next