Search Icon

Forum

NYGC Desserts: Glazed Apricot Gelato and Sour Gelato

StankzSoGood
Cannabis Fan

I am growing 2 Glazed Apricot Gelato and 2 Sour Gelato plants from CLTVD Genetics. One is in roots organic original soil and the other in roots organic coco mix to see a side by side comparison. I am also growing a 3rd Glazed Apricot Gelato just for the 1 cola challenge, it's in soil. They are all growing in the same tent right across from each other under one of my Growers Choice ROI E 720's. I think this will be interesting and I am predicting the coco will grow faster and larger but the soil might have slightly more terps. I'm also doing the same soil vs coco challenge with 2 Dosilato. I'm not sure why but I can't attach photos to this journal or my misfits journal. I get a "failed to convert image" error message. I'd like to be able to post pics and I'm also trying to make a video so check back for those later. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2021 1:27 pm ironman300k and CrackBabies liked
+ Show 2 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Less than 24 hours after planting my clones all the soil plants were doing horrible. They had completely dried out. This was the first time I was reusing old soil from a previous grow so I suspected that must be the problem but I didn't know why or what to do about it. I went into the cocoforcannabis chat room and posted pics and asked questions. A member called Drevs was able to help me by letting me know I needed more compost or the water will just run through the soil. I didn't have and cow manure or worm castings like he suggested but I did have new unused roots organic soil so what I ended up doing was just taking the clones back out and replanting them a second time in new dirt and it's holding water again. They are beginning to stand back up. Drevs was a huge help! I guess I'm leading in the "best recovery" challenge because nobody's plants were as f*cked up as mine on day 1. By day 2 they were looking like they are going to make it although they are badly damaged. Most of the leaves dried out and crumble but new leaves are growing. We are not out of the intensive care unit yet but my fingers are crossed and things are looking up. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2021 1:40 pm ironman300k and CrackBabies liked

So much has happened since my last update. My dried out soil plants have completely bounced back. The Sour Gelato is the star of the show and looks incredibly happy now two weeks later. The Glazed Apricot Gelato also looks amazing. I'm still not sure why I can post pics in the chat but not in my journal, all I get is a message that says "failed to convert".

The day the soil plants just barley started standing up again and looking better the coco plants started looking worse. It didn't look like a water issue it looked like a nute issue and the yellowing leaves pointed to nitrogen. I only gave water with no nutes on fist day of transplant, that was probably a mistake, and only half strength nutes on the second day, another mistake. Day three and four I was giving full strength according to the roots organic schedule but I didn't see much improvement. Day five I gave an extra milliliter of grow then two extra the next day and four extra the day after that. The leaves began to turn green again! I've slowly backed down to just 1 extra ml of grow and the plants are now returning to the same color as the soil plants. I see some new growth but by now the soil plants are blowing the coco away. This isn't really fair to call my experiment a soil vs coco comparison anymore, it's more of a soil grower tries coco for the first time and has no idea what he's doing lol. I wish I tried Dr Cocos floors bloom scheduled but I just wanted to stick with roots organic brand for coco because I already use it for soil. I wouldn't say the coco plants almost died like the soil plants did but the coco plants were stunted for over a week and the soil we're back to growing on day three. If I can keep the coco looking good I still think they might get bigger than the soil but they have some catching up to do. 

I will post an update about the Dosilato plants on the misfits forum. I might also show off some other plants that have been problem free that are not part of the challenge if I can figure out the problem with my photos. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/16/2021 1:48 pm OldWoman and CrackBabies liked

Profile Photo

Forum

NYGC The Misfits: It's not Dosido or Gelato, it's Dosilato

RSS 

StankzSoGood

Cannabis Fan

I am growing 2 Dosilato plants from CLTVD Genetics. One is in roots organic original soil and the other in roots organic coco mix to see a side by side comparison. They are growing in the same tent right across from each other under one of my Growers Choice ROI E 720's. I think this will be interesting and I am predicting the coco will grow faster and larger but the soil might have slightly more terps. I'm also doing the same soil vs coco challenge with Glazed Apricot Gelato and Sour Gelato but those will both have their own journal under dessert.

ReplyQuoteEdit

SolvedPrivateReport Spam
Posted : 12/31/2020 1:51 am ironman300kMtnDanZiesifer and 4 people liked

+ Show 3 comments

StankzSoGood

Cannabis Fan

I have to admit I haven't been posting many updates because there hasn't been much good to talk about. I almost killed my soil plants on the first day. I transplanted the clones into 1 gal grow bags and watered them before going to bed. When I woke up they were bone dry and wilted so bad they looked like they were going to die. I knew it was water I just didn't know why it dried out so quick. A member Drevs helped me figure out that my soil didn't have enough compost so the water wasn't holding. I didn't have any compost to add but I did have new soil so I just retransplanted everything and it actually worked. The next day all the soil plants were standing back up but they had been damaged. Some leaves were dried out and crumbled off. However everyday they looked better and better and now 2 weeks later it's hard to tell anything was ever wrong. 

The coco was a whole other problem of it's own. I've never used coco and I was just interested to see the difference between it and soil. Rather than follow Dr Cocos proven schedule with floora bloom I decided to use Roots Organic. I already grow with roots organic soil and have most of their nutes so all I needed to buy was a bag of coco. I was scared of getting a toxicity so I started off by giving less nutes than the roots organic schedule and of course they started showing a nitrogen deficiency. I've upped the nutes and the problem is correcting itself but the coco plants are definitely stunted while the soil plants don't seem very phased. 

For more about this coco and soil experiment check out my update on Sour Gelato and Glazed Apricot Gelato under the desserts forum. 

ReplyQuoteEdit

Report Spam
Posted : 01/16/2021 2:10 pm ZiesiferCrackBabiesMtnDan and 1 people liked

StankzSoGood

Cannabis Fan

Despite what you might have heard I'm not dead yet, surprisingly, neither are my plants. It's peak ski season and I haven't been paying much attention or taking very good care of my plants and they were showing it.

I still haven't figured out coco and the Dosilato and Sour Gelato look like they have multiple lockouts causing different deficiencies or toxicities on each one. The Dosilato has orange and brown burning around the edges of the top leaves while the Sour Gelato has purple leaves all over.

The Glazed Apricot Gelato looks the best out of all the coco but it just doesn't have the same vibrant green that the soil plants do. I wouldn't say it's yellow just not as deep green as I'd like to see. 

I transplanted them from 1 gal to 10 gal andthe coco had a bit more root growth showing but they are actually a little bit smaller than the soil. I blame this mostly on myself not knowing about organic coco and not  giving the plants the TLC they need. 

I think the soil plants must have been accidentally water with liquid nutes mixed for coco left in a sprayer because they showed some of the same lockout issues as the coco but no where near as bad and after a few days of just ph water have completely recovered. The coco have not completely recovered but are looking slightly better than before. 

Even my larg plants from November, not part of the new years challenge, have now had problems. I was ready to flip them to flower a month ago but they were getting yellowing on many of the leaves so I wanted to fix that issue before I flipped them. It looked like a nitrogen deficiency but adding some extra grow nutes didn't help so I ended up figuring out that it was a manganese deficiency from slightly high ph. I lowered the pH from 6.6-7.2 all the way down to 6.0-6.4 and the new leaves are growing green again. The old leaves are drying up and falling off.

Just when I was ready to flip again the worst thing I could think of happened, I found spider mites. I've never even seen a spider mites in real life but I found them in my cilantro cover crop first then in my sfv og they were growing under. I sprayed all the plants with neem oil and the mites left for a few days but I found more 2 days ago. Then I sprinkled diatomaceous earth all over everything and I haven't even seen a nat since then. 

I think most people would have scrapped these grows by now but I'm not giving up. As long as I don't see any more bugs I'll finally be flipping my November plants this weekend and my New Years plants will begin flower in March. I'm way behind schedule but I wanted to fix any problems while I'm still in veg. Besides the 2 out if the 3 coco plants that look sad everything else is back on track, fingers crossed that with a little hard work we can stay on this path. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/24/2021 12:07 am
+ Show 2 comments
StankzSoGood
Cannabis Fan
The Glazed Apricot Gelato in soil are looking amazing. I flipped to flower last Monday so it's been just over a week. The two hairs on each stem are now more like 5-10 hairs. The streach is real! My one cola plant that has not been topped or trained is 5ft tall. The Glazed Apricot Gelato that was topped and trained is almost just at tall. The leaves are huge, bigger than my hand, and so vibrantly reaching up to the light. The Glazed Apricot Gelato in coco is by far the best out of my 3 coco plants but it's nowhere near as nice looking as my soil. It's smaller, less bushy, and although the color is looking better it's still not as green as any of my soil plants. My Sour Gelato in soil is the bushiest plant by far but it's also the smallest soil plant but still much bigger and healthier looking than any of the coco. Sorry I haven't been posting more updates but although I enjoy this site I also get frustrated by it. I do everything from my phone and the tech issues I was having before seem to be getting worse. I still have no idea why I can't upload photos to my grow journal even though I can post them in the chat. I feel less motivated to update journals when I know I can't show any pics. I know when I look at other people journals I'm not as interested if I can't see their grow. It's not just the pics I'm also having problems with images overlapping and covering each other. I'd include a screenshot of some of the problems but again it won't let me include pics of anything, photos I take or screenshots, both work in chat. Another new problem is that as I'm writing I can't see more than 5-6 words back. In the past as I wrote the words would look like a paragraph and I could see what I had written, now it's just one line that slide out if view the more I write. If anyone knows how to help with uploading the photos I feel like I can out up with everything else. I see photos in other journals so I know it's possible. Are people converting them to a different format or does this site just hate my phone. Brand new 5g LG wing, I don't have these problems anywhere else so I don't think it's my phone.   
ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2021 7:46 am

The Glazed Apricot Gelato in soil are looking amazing. I flipped to flower last Monday so it's been just over a week. The two hairs on each stem are now more like 5-10 hairs. The streach is real! My one cola plant that has not been topped or trained is 5ft tall. The Glazed Apricot Gelato that was topped and trained is almost just at tall. The leaves are huge, bigger than my hand, and so vibrantly reaching up to the light. The Glazed Apricot Gelato in coco is by far the best out of my 3 coco plants but it's nowhere near as nice looking as my soil. It's smaller, less bushy, and although the color is looking better it's still not as green as any of my soil plants. My Sour Gelato in soil is the bushiest plant by far but it's also the smallest soil plant but still much bigger and healthier looking than any of the coco. I'm so excited I can finally upload a photo. More indepth updates to come soon. 

Cannabis Grow 20210313 065710 HDR

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2021 10:58 am

I just want to do a quick little update on what my soil plants look like today and what they looked like 1 day after I got them. They've come a long way!

Cannabis Grow 20201230 194739 HDR
Cannabis Grow 20210323 210050 HDR

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/24/2021 10:00 am OldWoman liked

There have been several bumps in the road but my soil plants have completely turned around from nearly dead on day 2 to the absolute monsters they have grown into 1 month into flower.

Cannabis Grow 20210406 233504 HDR

The Glazed Apricot Gelato might be the most impressive stain I have ever grown. Some of the top colas look like they are already 1/4 ounce, I can't wait to see how fat they get by the final weigh in. All the bud nodes are connecting and swelling up nicely. These are going to be some big beautiful buds and I'm so excited to see how much bigger and beautiful they get.

Cannabis Grow 20210406 233744
Cannabis Grow 20210406 233640

The Dosilato looks almost identical to the Glazed Apricot Gelato. The only ways to tell them apart is that the Dosilato is a little bit shorter and the buds have a bit longer hairs. 

Cannabis Grow 20210406 233818

The Sour Gelato is much smaller than the other soil plants but is also the bushiest and it's buds are the hairiest. It also was starting to lean over from the weight of the buds so I put up some supports. All the soil plants needed some support but the Sour Gelato was just having the hardest time holdings its self up. You can definitely tell the difference between this and the other plants.

Cannabis Grow 20210406 233847

My coco plants are still ugly as shit lol. It's giving me a new respect for coco growers. They seem to demand a lot more attention that I just haven't had the time for. I think they will make it to harvest they are all definitely showing problems. I made a tea for all my plants, soil and coco, and while the soil plants seemed to have liked it I think it made the coco worse lol. The Glazed Apricot Gelato is yellow, the Sour Gelato is purple, and the Dosilato is yellow and purple lmao. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's just not working well for me. Oh well I just wanted to try something different. Guys like Choo and mntdan I've seen have amazing results with coco so I know it's a problem with me and not the coco itself. Until next time, take it easy and fly high. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2021 12:40 pm OldWoman liked

Working

Please Login or Register