SAFC Planets: Vanilla Latte Autos
My grow will be Vanilla Latte Autos by Humboldt Seed Co, its an autoflower version of their Vanilla Frosting gelato style strain. I grew that last run and liked it, and will again, so this will be a fun comparison.
My tent is 2x4 and i have some qb boards. I will start with the 240w but during flower will probably add more wattage to 280-300 w.
I plan on three plants, which is pretty crowded so i will try to control that with smaller containers, 2x 2 gal airpots and 1x 1 gal, in coco.
Nutrients used will be Jacks hydro nutrients (Jacks part A, calcium nitrate, epsom salt) and tap water (450 uS ec).
My additives are silicate, seaweed, humic acid, and tribus microbes. Mykos added in transplant.
Have you ran with Jacks before? I was so close to making the switch but was uneasy about straying from my routine lol. Stoked to watch these beauties from the start. - Jerm
I started four seeds, soaked in diluted H2O2 overnight then into paper towel. Never tried peroxide on seeds before, its purported to soften the husk to improve germination rate. After a day in the paper towel they had all germinated and one had shed the husk already.
i was a little concerned about the condition of the sprouts, and perhaps the peroxide is not helpful with fresh seeds so i started a couple more just in case. Plain water soak, they sprouted in day and a half.
Into the solo cups with pure coco and after a couple days all the seedlings have opened. The youngest ones will catch up pretty quickly. There’s a weak one and a slow one, but they are all growing.
Two weeks or so. A bit of variance but there should be three or nice ones. Half strength nutes and lights at about 8k to 10l lux. Growth should be picking up the pace, i will be making some changes in the tent setup this week.
The feed ec is still about half strength and the light intensity is at 17k lux, and increased each day. Soon they will be at full strength nutes and the lights will be up to twice that, until they are ready to transplant within a week.
Theres four pretty good ones and two weak ones that are struggling. The larger faster grower may be a candidate for topping twice or some special handling.
Transplant day. Two x 2 gallon airpots and two x 1 gallon airpots. The two best plants are going into the 2# and the tallest one and shortest one go into the one gallon. My plan is to not top the plants in the small containers. Still need to do a little work on the irrigation.
one of the two small plants had a twisted root and the other just failed to thrive. Four plants is a good number, if it gets too crowded i can cull on out.
After they were topped, it seemed they went into flower almost immediately. Having trouble keeping up with the nutrient needs also. I havent been able to set up the auto water yet, and watering by hand is not optimal.
It seems that putting these autos in such small containers is an idea that hasnt panned out. The breeder warned that they dont like to get rootbound, so heres proof he’s right 😂
Everything looks better now that i have the autowater set up and theres sufficient hff. I notice the one larger untopped plant in the front right is not flowering. It was an unusual seedling, the quickest grower, so i am not surprised something is unusual. Now it appears it isnt autoflower.
I decided to remove the plant that hasn’t started flower. The space in the tent is better used by the others. Maybe it would eventually flower, but at this point it hasn’t even expressed pistils and its not a great looking plant, i dont want to hold up the space, the next run will be starting soon.
And now there are three
They are definitely showing the neglect from earlier weeks before i could get the autofeed set up and they had to make due with inadequate feed schedule, plus some foliar burn from then.
I added a small 24” t5 uv light, for two hours a day. These plants arent the strongest and i dont want to abuse them too much, but i want to see if the uv boosts thc and also can reduce the possibility of mold.
Starting flush today for the smaller ones, the larger i will flush later in the week.
Heres the chunky top colas, showing the chunky cookies genetics
The larger plant has more kush looking colas, still chunky though. I have a feeling this would have been the phenotype of the smaller ones if they were in larger containers or fertigation in weeks 3-5 was set up better.
The final week. These are pretty sticky. They look ragged but the buds are dense and fragrant. I removed some of the fan leaves for better ripening.