NYGC Misfit: Durban poison and Cannatonic
For the NYGC I am going to pop Cannatonic and Durban Poison seeds locally bred. I know it’s not the best match up, I really enjoy the CBD but sometimes I need something with a little more Torque.
I am growing in a 2X3, grow space I built in my shop. They are still going to be under the blurple lights for now.
After 24hrs soaking in water I transferred into wet paper towel. I have them sitting on my germination mat....DVR
In a few days I’ll plant them into jiffy pucks and from there into 3 gal pots, Coco / perlite mix. With Gaia green all purpose 4-4-4
Both Durban poison seeds have 10cm long tap roots - planted them in solo cups with a coco / perlite mix instead of jiffy pucks. I thought I had pucks...guess not. One of the tap roots was growing in a spiral so I put it on its side in the solo cup and buried. Hopefully it sorts itself out.
None of the Cannatonic seeds have cracked yet, must be older.
Finally I chopped my Purple Kush, after 10 1/2 weeks of flower, to make room for the NYGC run.
Unfortunately the Cannatonic seeds would not pop. No sign of cracking after 6 days in paper towel, they are probably done. So I will just be growing Durban poison this run. My grow space is a good size for two plants anyways.
Both Durban poison plants showed their first set of leaves in the solo cups, so I moved them to my little seedling box. It’s basically a cupboard with two 23W CFL bulbs. Temps inside the box are 25 degrees C. My main grow space needs to be reset so the seedlings will stay in there for now.
Today I moved the seedlings into my main grow space after a thorough cleaning.
I have the temp set at 21-23C, I have to dial in the humidity, with the heater in there it drops the RH to around 30% So the little baggies will stay on until I get a humidifier in there.
I have been watering with plain water @ 6.5ph. The light timer is now set to 16/8, the seedlings were under 24hrs light previously.
I’m running I vivosun 4” exhaust fan with speed condtroller and two small clip fans. The heater is a small ceramic unit controlled by a Inkbird controller.
My main light is a Vivosun “300w” blurple LED with three auxiliary 20W quantum board blurple LED units from cosco. Not exactly ideal but it works for now.
I have a drip water system I set up if I have to leave town for a few days, normally I like to hand water.
Light timer is just a Noma power bar with a built in digital timer.
I can’t seem to rotate these photos?
Not a lot of growth this week. I have been struggling to keep the RH in check. Cold snap rolled through so not a lot of airflow and a lot of heat going into the room.
I think I have been over watering the seedlings as well, one is looking wilted. I’m in coco so I thought they would get enough oxygen but the clearly look over watered.
I have been feeding them a light mix of GO 4-4-4 grow with cal-mag. PH @ 6.8
I transferred the seedlings into slightly larger pots 1/4 gal pots. I wanted to get them into my Gaia green / coco mix and quit messing around with my bottle nutrients. Although I will still be supplementing with Cali-magic.
The humidity has been fairly steady around 50% and temps at 23 Celsius.
I was running a PH around 6.8 now I’m dropping it to 6.2 Seems to have helped out.
I’ve run into another issue now. The new growth on the plants have turned yellow. I was watering with a light dose of Cal-Mag and PH @ 6.2
I stopped the Cal-Mag and have just been running water and lowered the PH again. I am at 5.8 now. The yellow leaves are slowly turning green again.
This is my first grow using Gaia green dry fertilizer mixed in with coco. I really have to watch the PH apparently. I think it’s possibly an Iron deficiency, locked out due to higher PH. Run off was around 7.
Not much growth this week, plants are finally turning green again though!
I transplanted into 3 gal. pots with a coco / perlite mix - no Gaia green this time. I am going back to bottle nutes, GO BioThrive and Cal/Mag. I didn’t add any mycorrhiza with the Gaia green in the previous pots so I possibly had a nutrient uptake problem.