Page 1 / 2 Next
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows
2nd Grow - 1st in Coco

Howdy all! New member here on the site and working on my second ever grow. Found the site and the information struck a chord with me and here I am, trying my first coco grow using all the info I've gleaned thus far.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0350R
Cannabis Grow IMG 0346R
Cannabis Grow IMG 0209r
Cannabis Grow IMG 0366
Cannabis Grow IMG 0336
Cannabis Grow IMG 0369R
Cannabis Grow IMG 0368R

Adding a couple pics after initial mainline.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0375complete

Why is this lady only doing curls with one arm?

Cannabis Grow IMG 0410

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 1:22 am Dr Coco and Chefomj liked
+ Show 2 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal

Update time!

I started these seeds assuming I'd have my new grow space ready in time to move them in there once I needed the space. Space isn't ready, and the plants are starting to be too big for my 4x4 tent. I may have to decide to keep 6 and pass on the rest to a good home! Here's an updated pic of the plants:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0409

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/21/2019 12:13 am FarmerBrown liked
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows
2nd Grow - 1st in Coco

10/27 Update:

Had to make some decisions with space in mind, so I've narrowed the herd to 6 plants. I only have the 4x4 tent to continue growing in until my new larger garage room is ready, so 6 plants is what I decided to go with.
Transplanting was an odd process for me last night. I ran into some issues that I've not seen to this point, and I'll outline them here in case anyone has some input on what could have caused this.

The transplant got started off on the wrong foot when my local Hydro shop didn't have the Canna bagged coco in that they said they'd have by this weekend, and I really needed to get the transplant done. I did some digging and another local shop had some Nutrifield coco in stock:

https://www.nutrifield.com.au/products/coco-premium/

So I went and grabbed a few bags of it, and a bag of this perlite:

https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Earth-Perlite-3-4-cu/dp/B007ZU7FVU

For anyone curious about Nutrifield coco, here's a picture of what it looked like out of the bag. It had a few clumps here and there but they were easily broken up as I was mixing in the perlite:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0450

When I initially put the girls in their 2g air pots, I used a bag of the Canna coco (along with some perlite I had leftover from my first soil grow), and that's why I had wanted to stick with it. I wasn't sure if it mattered, but wanted to keep as many variables out of it as I could. The Canna coco was very clean when I tested it initially - I filled a cup with the coco, poured some RO water through it, let it sit for a bit and then tested it. It was at 0 EC.

I read good things about the Nutrifield coco, but I wanted to test it before using it regardless. I did the same test I had done with the Canna coco by running the RO water through it and testing the EC.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0449 (1)

It was at .2, so not as clean as the Canna, but I did some reading and it seemed like that EC was relatively normal for bagged and buffered coco, so I went with it anyway. I added perlite by using a 4-cup measuring scoop and scooping 6 scoops of coco into to my mixing container, then 4 of the perlite. This is what the NF coco looked like after I mixed it with the perlite and put it in pots.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0451 (1)

I only added this picture because the volume of perlite Doc suggests is 40%, and using the method I described above got me to that percentage, but then compared to his picture in his transplanting article, mine looked pretty light on perlite. If anyone has any input on this, please let me know. Should I have added more, or does my volume look okay?

Now, onto the part where my transplant took a weird turn:

After testing the coco and then mixing in the perlite, I decided I'd run some RO through the media just to moisten it and double check the EC, then soak it thoroughly with my nutrient solution before executing the transplant. This is where the weirdness started. I ran the RO water through the media, and got readings from 1.5 to 1.8 EC! This reading confused me, and I started to doubt my meter, so I checked its accuracy in clean RO water and my already pre-mixed nutrient solution which I knew was 1.2 EC. The RO water came out at 0 EC, and nutrient solution was indeed 1.2, so the meter was fine.

Since the coco tested at .2, and the only thing that changed from that test to the new test where I ran the RO through the coco/perlite mix was adding the perlite, I started to think the perlite might have been extremely dirty or salty for whatever reason. To test this, I took 2 cups of it and soaked it in RO water:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0452 (1)

0 EC!! So if the coco was tested at .2, and the perlite was clean, and the water was 0 EC RO, where did all that EC come from?? The total EC of 1.5 to 1.8 which the RO tested at coming out of the media means 1.3 to 1.6 additional EC was coming from somewhere, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out where. This EC testing was consistent across 4 5 gallon air pots that were filled with the coco/perlite mix, so it wasn't just one freak measurement.

I couldn't figure it out, and I didn't have enough RO water to just continually flush to clean it, so I decided to run tap water through it to clean out whatever was causing those EC readings, then follow with some RO afterwards to rinse out the tap water. It took 6-7 gallons of tap water per 5gal container to get the runoff EC measurements down to .3. I then ran RO water through it to rinse out the tap water and it went down to .2. After that, I finally ran my pre-mixed nutrient solution through the containers to saturate them with the solution the plants were accustomed to. 1 gallon of that solution at 1.2 EC per container later, and the runoff was still .2 EC. 6 hours in and I was tired of watering containers of coco, so I just took the leap of faith and transplanted them and sent them back to the tent.

Here is a picture of what the roots looked like coming out of the 2 gal air pots:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0445

Woke up this morning, and held my breath while I opened the tent and was greeted with this:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0453

They seem happy after all that weirdness. Fingers crossed as I set up the auto watering system!

Anyone have any ideas on where this mysterious EC came from?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/27/2019 5:34 pm FarmerBrown, SpencersHerbs and Prof-Knows-It-All liked
+ Show 3 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Auto saucer setup complications - help!

Howdy all - I'm in the process of building the auto watering setup with self draining saucers and bucket. Built all the saucers last night, and setting up the bucket now. Doing a dry run before putting it into the tent:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0479

The issue I'm having on my dry run is that the water isn't draining very well from the saucers into the bucket. It seems like the drain lines aren't on a continuous enough downward slope to smoothly drain into the drain bucket. I double checked my measurements to ensure that I drilled the holes into the bucket at the correct height (2 inches on center from the bottom of the inside of the bucket):

Cannabis Grow IMG 0477

That seems to be fine.

When I add a riser under the saucers, they do drain pretty well.

The only other potential issue I'm seeing is that when I glued the drain lines to the filter washers on the underside of the saucer, I did it with the natural curl of the drain lines (from the way they were shipped rolled up) facing so that they were curving up, thinking it would help keep them off the floor and curve up into the bucket. Looking at the pics from Doc's setup instructions here Doc's setup, his don't seem perfectly sloped either and they work perfectly fine, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing.

I uploaded a video showing what's going on:

https://vimeo.com/370771629

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 6:42 pm Chefomj liked
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Went ahead and flipped today. I'm not totally dialed in with the auto drain setup, but I can work on it while they work on pistils 👍 

Here's how they looked on flip day:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0483

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/04/2019 2:12 am Prof-Knows-It-All, Spazmagi and FarmerBrown liked
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Updated overall pic. Getting very bushy underneath, so I'm thinking some of those lower leaves that obviously aren't getting any light and are hovering just over the coco can probably get cleaned up. Let me know what you guys think about a light undercarriage defoliation.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0499

Some of the leaves I think can be removed in these pics below:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0506
Cannabis Grow IMG 0504
Cannabis Grow IMG 0503
Cannabis Grow IMG 0502
Cannabis Grow IMG 0501

I see a lot of people advocating for a pretty heavy defoliation underneath to facilitate air movement though the lower canopy. Let me know what you guys think about that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2019 9:03 pm
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Ok things are progressing along quite nicely. I have some questions about the current grow, and then more about the setup of my new grow room that I hope to have figured out before the NYGC. Here is an updated pic of the flowering girls right now:

Cannabis Grow ORNR0583

My question on the current grow is the leaf density and pruning. I am adding a few pictures here so you can see the underside of the canopy and how dense it is:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0516   Copy
Cannabis Grow IMG 0517

I made a video specifically about the pruning that may be necessary. These plants have not been messed with or trained beyond the initial mainline process, so they may need some maintenance that I've yet neglected to do. A few people have seen this and already chimed in in chat, so I thought i'd post it here for anyone else who might have input before I get to snippin'!

Video of the bushiness

Now here's my question about the setup of the new room. The pic below shows the dimensions. I'd really like to have my entire setup in that room, from seedlings to flower.My questions are:

1- How would you set this up? My initial thought was a 5x9 tent along the A wall, to flower in. I currently have an HLG 550v2 rspec and I just ordered a Fluence Spyder 2X, so those would be the two flowering lights in that tent. I have 2x HLG 100 v2's I could use in a 5x5 or 4x4 in the B/C wall corner for vegging.

2- If I do put two tents in there, then I have two concerns - Light leaks from the veg tent affecting the flowering tent, and managing RH in one room for plants that have different needs.

The whole room will be cooled by a mini split and is sealed, so I'll need to add co2 to at least keep it at normal levels.

Cannabis Grow GR

Love to hear thoughts and opinions on this. I'm not tied to anything right now other than the lights I have. I can sub out tents (or not) and other equip as might be necessary for the best possible setup.

Thanks growmies!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/14/2019 4:47 pm Prof-Knows-It-All and Knut liked
+ Show 2 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows
2nd Grow - 1st in Coco

Newest photo.

Cannabis Grow ORNR0583

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/14/2019 6:20 pm Knut liked
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows
Update + Supercropping

One of the plants has gotten too big for her britches, so after some encouragement from Doc and others, I finally got the courage to super crop her. Here is a picture from before the supercropping:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0542

The next picture here is after the supercrop:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0546

A closeup of the area of the most tweaking:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0547

And here is the morning after with one full light cycle:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0548

And closeup on the recovering area:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0550

Still a bit messy, so I'll have to watch and manage as they finish stretching.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/19/2019 12:59 pm FarmerBrown and Knut liked
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Latest pics. Using the early bloom portion of the GH chart since 11/16.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0553
Cannabis Grow IMG 0554
Cannabis Grow IMG 0556
Cannabis Grow IMG 0555

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/19/2019 7:20 pm Spazmagi liked
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Latest.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0574
Cannabis Grow IMG 0576
Cannabis Grow IMG 0573
Cannabis Grow IMG 0577

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/23/2019 3:05 am Chefomj, Spazmagi and CannabisandBeats liked
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

A little update, and questions on possible issues:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0614
Cannabis Grow IMG 0610
Cannabis Grow IMG 0611
Cannabis Grow IMG 0612   Copy
Cannabis Grow IMG 0613
Cannabis Grow IMG 0615

Ok - so here I'm on the early bloom portion of the GH schedule, and have  been since 11/18, so right around 8 days. PH and EC are both within the ranges on the chart (1150EC and 6.1 PH). Obviously that means a bit less gro and calmag, and more bloom and some added koolbloom. Those are the only changes that have been made to the schedule except that 3 days ago I went from 2x daily fertigation events, to 4x. I only noticed this leaf abnormality today, and it's only on a few leaves, all uppergrowth that I've noticed. The other thing I did yesterday was move the HLG550v2 Rspec up as far it'll go in the tent, and turned up the dimmer slightly (it's still not fully turned up to the max 480w, I'd say it's about 85% up).

Looking at the slight curl in the leaf edges, I was thinking some light intensity issue (Spencer said the same), and NG thought maybe early cal/mag lockout from the increased K and decreased CalMag in the recipe.

The other possible issue I've noticed is that occasionally (looked close tonight and found 3-4 spots of this) there are what appear to be small droplets of moisture here and there on certain leaves, mostly where two are touching each other. I have two fans (one oscillating on high) blowing across the canopy where the moisture was found, and I have a dehumidifier keeping the entire room between 50-55%rh all the time. It's on a controller so that when it reaches 55%, it then kicks on till it's under 50%, then stops. There is a 6" can connected to a carbon filter that sits outside the tent  and it on all the time, constantly sucking air out of the top of the tent and pulling in via a passive vent at the bottom. It seems like the RH is under control. Could it just be leaves touching combined with the transpiration from the plants themselves? Temps are constantly between 70-79 F.

Cannabis Grow IMG 0609

@Dr-Coco Love to hear thoughts on this and if there are any corrective measures I should be taking.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/26/2019 10:05 pm FarmerBrown liked
+ Show 1 comments
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

So I did a little selective trimming to help with the moisture issue and a bit more supercropping on the tall one in the back right. Here was the pre-haircut pic:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0609

And here is the after - I didn't take TOO much, but the canopy is noticeably airier now, so I'm thinking that should solve that moisture issue:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0622
Cannabis Grow IMG 0620

And here's a shot of the best looking branch on the beast plant:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0621

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/27/2019 9:02 pm FarmerBrown liked
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

12/6 update:

Just over a month since flip:

Cannabis Grow IMG 0720
Cannabis Grow IMG 0712
Cannabis Grow IMG 0710
Cannabis Grow IMG 0709

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2019 11:03 pm
Growlow
  Growlow
(@growlow)
Esteemed Member
Known Grower
Completed Grows

Here's an updated pic of the overall. Seems to be moving along stable, currently in the first of the two "late bloom" sections on Doc's GH feed chart, with the only modification being 4ml/gal on cal mag, because the plants didn't respond well to the initial reduction.

Cannabis Grow IMG 1245

Took a bunch of pics of trichs just to verify how much time I may have left, and still looks like alot of clear to me. Let me know if anyone sees anything differently, so hard to get good pics!

Cannabis Grow IMG 1284
Cannabis Grow IMG 1289
Cannabis Grow IMG 1264
Cannabis Grow IMG 1263
Cannabis Grow IMG 1266
Cannabis Grow IMG 1275
Cannabis Grow IMG 1259
Cannabis Grow IMG 1249

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2020 8:02 pm Chefomj and Spazmagi liked
+ Show 1 comments