NYGC Color Diet: White Jem F9 Autoflowers (Bonus 1Cola!)
For my main focus I’m going to be popping a few White Jem F9 seeds from Mandalorian Genetics. I believe FullDuplex dropped the “White” from the name a couple of years ago but I’m gonna claim it for the NYGC so I can fit into the Color Diet category.
I’ve wanted to grow Jem for nearly two years and I finally managed to catch her in stock at DC Seed Exchange. Autos are typically sold feminized, but all MG strains come as regulars so that growers are able to continue the genetic line. I’m hoping to get at least one good male among the 3-4 seeds I’ll germinate; if so I’ll separate him and hope to keep him from pollinating everything else I’m running.
From this hypothetical stud, I’d like to collect pollen both for Future Chucking Science as well as to specifically pollinate another Jem F9 to make myself some Ertlinger’s Own Handcrafted Artisanal Jem F10 Seeds. I really want to be able to keep growing this strain without holding my breath for seed drops anymore. Self sufficiency is very important to me, because of principles like: I’m real fucking cheap.
In addition to these autos from seed, I’m gonna cut a clone from my photoperiod Ace Seeds Panama Standard mother plant at midnight and pop it into the aerocloner to get it started rooting. I haven’t flowered this strain yet so it’ll be a surprise, but she’s shown very strong apical dominance so far. I have a hunch she’ll do well for the One Cola Challenge.
I’ll be running coco/perlite with GH nutes, all very typical cocoforcannabis technique right down the line. They’ll start in the 18/6 room under a 240W Meijiu quantum board. The Jems will stay there for their whole run, but when she’s big enough the photoperiod Panama will move to the 12/12 room to finish under another 240W QB. Both grow spaces are a bit chilly and damp, but I’m working on tuning the environment better.
I love the packaging that FullDuplex used for these seeds - a black textured ring box sealed with a gold wax stamp. Break the seal and inside is black velvet lining cradling a tiny glass vial with a cork stopper holding big, well-developed seeds with a nice mottled coloring. They’re soaking in about a half ounce of tap water in a shot glass on the mantle. When they crack they’ll go into little seedling bags of standard 70/30 coco+perlite. When they show roots, I’ll cut away the bags and transplant into 3 gallon fabric pots where they’ll finish.
On the original Panama #1, I picked out a couple of low suckers that won’t get enough light to develop and clipped them for the aeroponic Clone King, king of clones! All must bow before these phat roots! When I get good roots, I’ll transplant into a seedling bag of coco+perlite, then into a 3-gallon fabric pot to veg for a while. If neither of these clones takes, I may cheat and swap in another later. I will accept whatever lumps this earns me. I’ll only have one cola when I cross the finish line, boss, I promise.
I’m no expert but I think Panama #1 is a male, which would mean my One Cola clone would get scrapped and I’d move Mr. Panama #1 to my tent. If he’s male, I want to see his phenotypical expression in flower and decide if I want to go through the trouble of collecting pollen.
I suppose I would cut him back to One Cola though. Would that count? 😂
Welp. No doubt about it, my Panama Standard is a boy. He’s been super easy to grow, good structure, easy to clone, so I’m gonna run him to finish, let him pollinate a Scarlet Queen clone, and save some pollen for chucking. You can count me out of the One Cola challenge, I guess. It’s okay, though, I’m getting seeds.
Fast forward! I skipped the boring bullshit of waiting for roots to show through the bags, they’re seedlings now. I think I should’ve done a better job buffering the coco I used in the seedling bags, so before I transplanted into the final containers I made sure the 3-gallon pots got a good double soak in water with Calimagic around 500μS, pH 6.2.
I’m now feeding them with Armor Si, Calimagic, GH Flora Trio, liquid KoolBloom and Diamond Nectar, with yucca. I also add a sprinkle of Mosquito Bits. I had a mild fungus gnat problem awhile back and now I just throw in a pinch of these corncob chunks dusted with the bacterium bacillus thuringiensis israelensis. BTI is a naturally occurring soil and water bacterium that kills mosquito and fungus gnat larvae. It’s safe for mammals, fish, birds, and approved for organic farming, and cheap as hell.
It’s been nearly a month since my last update, but it’s been pretty boring, really. I got some mites, had to treat with Dr. Zyme’s, swore a lot, treated again, etc etc. Anyway, here’s Jem #2 (Jolene) and Jem #3 (Judith). They both showed pistils on 2/19, while I was still feeding mid-vegetation nutes. S0 that’s 45 days to well-defined white hairs at several lower nodes. It’s entirely possible that they showed sex a few days earlier and I just missed it.
Now if you’ve been paying attention and you can count to three, you know somebody’s missing.
Jem #1 - Julius. You may remember this was the first seed to crack, the best taproot, the first to break ground. He was also the tallest and on 2/19 I noticed he had massive pollen sacs on all the lower nodes. He must’ve been growing sacs for at least a day or two and I guess I just missed it.
I’ve moved him to my tent, away from the ladies, and I’ve cropped off the lower growth tips to keep him manageable in size and pollen output. I already know I’m going to collect the pollen from him and pollinate at least a bud or two on Jolene and Judith for some Jem F10 seeds. If he’s as vigorous in flower as he was in veg, I’ll collect a ton of pollen and freeze it to keep long term. It would be fantastic to get a great stud on the very first seed.