PTGC Architects: Kismet manifold
I'm gonna be growing some freebies I got from Jinxproof Genetics. The strain is called Kismet.
I started all 3 on 8/5/22 by soaking in tap water overnight, then into a moist paper towel for a couple days. Then into twice buffered coco and perlite.
8/11/22, EC 365, PH 6.5
8/27/22, EC1000, PH 6.8
8/27/22, EC1000, PH 6.8
Irregular growth pattern on #1 and variegation on #2
I started to notice a deficiency so instead of chasing down the issue I figured I would just transplanted into soil/coco now. 8/30/22
Topped both plants from 6 nodes down to 4 nodes. 9/4/22
Yesterday I removed the first 3 nodes on the main trunk, leaving only the 4th. I also removed the second node fan leaf on the manifold to allow more light to get to 1st node growth tips. I did some low stress training on the manifold where possible. #1 (on the left) is so compact and thick that I couldn't use an LST clip on it yet. Hopefully it will elongate soon so I can bend it over too to keep the canopy height as consistent as possible. I put 3 cuttings from each plant into rockwool cubes, in case one of them ends up being a keeper.
This is the most stocky plant I've ever seen. The nodes are so close together, I had to take the LST clips off, so that the 3rd node growth tips could catch up to the 1st node height.
#2 ended up being a male
I put #1 in it's final home, a 7 gallon Grassroots living soil fabric pot. I used re-amended Roots Organics original soil. I amended with Down To Earth neem seed meal, Roots Organics Uprising Foundation, ag lime, gypsum, azomite, Epsom salt, and homemade worm castings. I put Great White myco in the hole and dusted the roots.
Added a handful of worms to the pot as well.
Got the Blumat set up and we're good to go.
I up-potted the male as well. Normally I would have culled him, but I thought maybe this stocky trait could come in handy in future breeding experiments. I haven't bred before, so this will be a fun learning experience.
Flip day is here! I did some defoliation to #1 to hopefully direct growth to the tips and get some more length and spread things out a bit more. My goal is to have the main growth tips spread out enough to allow more light to get to the 4 lower branches that I left. It will be interesting to see how much this plant stretches if at all, considering it is only 8 inches tall right now at like 52 days of veg. It might be that these plants are just not vigorous, but it will be a good learning experience.
#2 (M), on right
Does anyone have any thoughts on what this deficiency could be? It's affecting lower leaves first, so I would assume that it would be a mobile nutrient. It didn't start at yellowing and progress to the burnt appearance so I'm not leaning towards magnesium. PPFD is around 700, RH is 60%, Temp. is 75
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's feed day! I fed the girls with a tea made from 1.5 gallons of water, 1.5 tbsp Uprising Bloom, 1.5 tbsp Terp Tea Grow, 1 tbsp Terp Tea Microbe Charge, and 15ml of Roots Organics cal-mag. The EC ended up being around 1400, so I added .5 gal of water and brought it down to around 1100. I tucked some leaves on #1 and spead things out a little more to expose more bud sites. The structure, stretch, and flexibility of the male (#2) is much more desirable for training and most likely yield.
Things are coming along nicely. The male is shooting up like crazy. I'm gonna have to raise up #1 again and probably move the light up to. #1 is finally stretching. Starting height was 8" and it is now at 13". #2 is at 26" lol.
So I underestimated just how unmanageable the pollen would become from that male. I want some seeds but don't need a lot so I figured I would selectively pollinate certain flowers. I figured out pretty early on that having that male in there for too long would pollinate the whole plant. If that happened I wouldn't have any usable product. I then chopped the male, kept some branches in a glass of water, and harvested pollen over the last week. I used a small paint brush and spread pollen on 3 different tops on the female. Fingers crossed that I harvested the pollen in a manor that preserved its viability.
Everything else is going well. I fed the girls their weekly tea made from 1 gallon of water, 1 tbsp Uprising Bloom, 1 tbsp Terp Tea Bloom, 2 tsp Terp Tea Microbe Charge, and 2 tsp Terp Tea Bloom Booster.
The stretch finally happened and she is currently 16" (doubled in height so far).
Lessons learned so far this grow are:
1) Be more patient with the transformation processes of the plant.
2) Have a pollen handling plan ahead of time.
Fed the girls a tea today made from 1 gallon of tap water, 1 tbsp. Terp Tea Bloom, 1 tbsp. Terp Tea Grow, 2 tsp. Terp Tea Microbe Charge, and 2 top. Terp Tea Bloom Booster. I aerated it for 14 hours, then I adjusted the PH down to 6.2. The stretch seems to be done now. I think I see seed formation which I'm super stoked about.