Forum

PTGC Architects: Jeef's Jungle: Chief Coco! Skywalker OG

ChiefJeef
Practicing Grower
PTGC Architects: Jeef's Jungle: Chief Coco! Skywalker OG

Today marks the first day of my new future growing Cannabis. I have a decent amount of experience with hemp in the fields and in the greenhouses, and my goal for this grow is to hone my crop training skills to eventually grow Marijuana full time! I am an computer engineering student with a minor in horticulture and I'm hoping to bring my technical expertise into growing with custom fertigation and environment control systems. These will be developed as this grow evolves, stay tuned to see my progress!

Today I moved into my new home and does what every new resident does: immediately began growing. I set up my grow tent in my basement; space right now is very limited, I hope when my roommates move in we can clear out a larger spot for me to work in. Tonight marks the last night of my summer semester and after that I will install the ventilation and light as well as clean up the place. Germination starting tomorrow as well, I am beyond excited!

Cannabis Grow 20220805 171556

Some details about my grow:

• Tent: CoolGrow 4'x2'x6'. Seems thin, but very little light leak.
  • Light: Mars Hydro TSL 2000, got this for a steal!
  • Exhaust: 6in VIVOSUN fan with carbon scrubber
  • Genetics: ILGM Skywalker OG. I got this as a part of the OG mix pack because I wanted plenty of seeds and honestly when I bought these I didn't know better. I have low expectations for their quality, but only time will tell.

Germination update coming soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2022 12:25 pm HappyCultivator, Heyron420, Soil Sheppard and 1 people liked
+ Show 3 comments
Expand All Comments in this journal
ChiefJeef
Practicing Grower

Around 10 AM I began soaking my seed in 9 parts warm filtered water and 1 part 29% H2O2 for about an hour and a half.  I wasn't super careful about avoiding contact with the peroxide and I ended up with some white patches all over my hands :')

Cannabis Grow soak

The marks went away quickly and I moved the seeds from the water to dry paper towels in tupperware using tweezers. Prior to this, I stacked the tupperware on top of another and placed both on my heating mat to keep them warm, but not too hot. I threw a towel on top of it and I'll check again tomorrow morning, and in the evening when I get back from work.

Cannabis Grow tupperware

After a lovely trip to Menards to get ducting I was ready to string up my tent. I added my exhaust, carbon filter, and light but I am not quite happy with how the filter touches the wall. The airflow on the 6" exhaust fan is ridiculously overkill already, so I think I'm upset over nothing.

Cannabis Grow tent1

My fan wasn't quite close enough to the wall for my liking so I gave it a bit of a haircut :^) I'm real happy with the airflow in there, it feels like a storm's brewing.

Cannabis Grow haircut

The ducting was not the only thing I got at Menards, lots of interesting plans in the works... check in later!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2022 7:15 pm HappyCultivator, Soil Sheppard, Heyron420 and 2 people liked
+ Show 1 comments
ChiefJeef
Practicing Grower
Sprouting and Shedding

It's been a few days since the last update, it's becoming harvest season for the hemp nursery plants at work and there's too many tasks to be done. My heart is still with my plant babies, which have grown so much!

4 days ago my seeds sprouted and the radicles emerged overnight. I was beyond worried that my germination conditions were bad after no change in 24 hours, but I want to give a big thanks to Roudy420 for really helping me hone in my temperature and humidity 🙂

Cannabis Grow 20220809 083556

About 2 hours after that picture, I planted the seedlings into soaked rapid rooters and moved them into my tent in the basement. Environmental control has been a bitch and a half. I have a classic heat bar style space heater and I'm thinking it just destroys the humidity in my tent. I originally had that inside, but I've since moved it out by the intake fan and added a humidifier. I still can't get it above 65% RH so I've been turning the exhaust fan off every hour for 30 minutes via a timer in an attempt to increase average humidity.

Cannabis Grow 20220813 101357

Is my humidifier simply too small? I think my exhaust system is overkill and perhaps I need something even more powerful. Anyways, let me know your tips to increase humidity. I was trying some absolute JANK ideas using a wet towel, a siphoning bowl of water, and my intake fan, but I still couldn't break that 65% mark.

Cannabis Grow 20220809 184414

Anyways, my seedlings are a bit lanky but growing strong. No nutes added yet, 18/6 light schedule, low light setting. In the coming days I will talk a bit more about my setup and keep adding progress pics (along with my secret project 🤫 ). The help from this community has been tremendous, I feel so welcomed even through I'm a noob. Have a good day growmies!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/13/2022 8:35 am HappyCultivator, TheInsideDope, Heyron420 and 3 people liked
+ Show 5 comments
ChiefJeef
Practicing Grower

What a great kickoff to the PTGC! It was sweet getting to see the community in full force and interact with my growing tutors. I feel inspired to share the love and knowledge of our awesome craft  🥂 🥂

I checked my ladies for roots today and they were bursting! I'm very happy with the rapid rooters performance, it tolerated all the water I could give it and was a breeze to transplant. I moved them into two fabric nursery bags filled with Royal Gold coco fiber and watered with calimagic dosed water. Tomorrow I will start the proper nutrient schedule recommended by CFC.

Cannabis Grow 20220815 173704

I've been tweaking my setup in many ways the past few days trying to optimize my environment. I added an intake fan and more permanent elevation stand; by now I bet you can guess my hush-hush project. All I'll say is that it's more than you think 😉

Cannabis Grow 20220815 170429

This is my first grow, and I have many other things to focus on besides training for this run. Still, I'm going to be performing a mainline as I'm growing from seed. I'm going to be following the CFC recommended advice, waiting for the 6th node and then topping until the 3rd. I'm not going to scrog as I'm going to be moving around the inside of my tent often to implement new features.

Peace, with growmie love!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/15/2022 7:20 pm Soil Sheppard, Heyron420, TheInsideDope and 3 people liked
+ Show 2 comments
ChiefJeef
Practicing Grower

Hi all! Life has been hectic with my friends moving in and classes starting back up. My contributions to this journal have been lacking but my efforts into growing have not. Let me give a quick recap of the past couple weeks:

My girls were being fed ~400 EC nutrient solution initially and it was slowly ramped up to 700 in 50 EC intervals. Target PPFD of about 350 and increased slightly each day. I watered once in the morning and once at night, just enough to produce measureable runoff. Inital runoff was high EC but after rising my saucers I saw about what I expected.

I've noticed the roots are bursting out the side of my nursery bags! These girls are getting root bound and that's great news.

Cannabis Grow 20220827 115020

I decided it's time for an up pot. I moved them to 1 gallon fabric transplant pots and I plan on keeping them here until their root-bound again, at which point I'll up pot to a 3 gallon fabric bag. These girls are growing so fast, I plan on mainlining so I will be topping them soon!

Cannabis Grow 20220827 205936

I have been making lots of progress on the electronic design of my watering system, I won't bore with the details, but I'm really enjoying the process of building an advanced system around such a special crop. This work motivates me like nothing else before and I hope my efforts not only make my grow easier and more perfect, but help me land a career doing something similar.

Peace and growmie love!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/28/2022 4:24 pm HappyCultivator, Soil Sheppard, Heyron420 and 2 people liked
+ Show 21 comments